#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #DWTNCS #UFC 215

Mike Pierce doesn’t typically call out opponents.

He recently made an exception for Josh Koscheck, though, and now they’re scheduled to meet Feb. 4 at UFC 143.

“For a long time I’ve just been happy fighting whoever [UFC matchmaker] Joe Silva put in front of me,” Pierce told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “This time I wanted to make a decision and then I campaigned for it a little bit. Josh Koscheck just seemed like the right guy. He’s a tough guy. He’s fought for the title. I think it will be a good fight, and it could do a lot of things for me in the UFC if I win.”

Koscheck is a top-five welterweight who’s competed at the highest level in the UFC. Pierce is also a quality fighter, but he’s working his way up the ranks and isn’t well known. With that in mind, it could be seen as risky for Koscheck to fight someone as tough as Pierce who isn’t duly credited.

“From a lot of people’s perspectives, this isn’t a fight that he necessarily wanted,” Pierce said. “In a lot of people’s eyes, he has a lot to lose in this, and I understand that. For him to take the fight is a good thing for me and I appreciate it, but I don’t think this is one that he was looking forward to taking.”

Although Koscheck has his share of detractors, Pierce didn’t push for the fight because he hates him. In fact, he said he actually likes his upcoming opponent.

“I was a fan of him back when ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ first came on TV,” Pierce said. “He was the wrestler guy. I’ve always been in the corner of wrestlers. … I always root for them, but yeah, I was a fan of his and now it’s just at the time where I’ve got to get in there and fight now.”

Pierce has seen plenty of Koscheck’s fights. He’ll go back and study more footage to finalize a game plan, but he doesn’t think either fighter will bring many surprises into the matchup.

“We kind of know what his style is,” Pierce said. “There’s no secrets with me. Everybody knows basically what my fighting style is. I like to go forward and press the action. I don’t think there’s going to be any secrets to divulge here. … I think we’re going to see a little bit of everything from him and likewise with me. I’m not sure if it’s going to be a wrestling match because that could get kind of boring, and there’s not really a lot of action going on there to kind of show who’s the decisive winner.”

Both fighters have strong wrestling backgrounds, but Pierce fully expects to exchange strikes with Koscheck. He also hopes to finish him.

“This is going to be an exciting one,” Pierce said. “I’m going to come out there, press the action, get in his face and keep it that way for three rounds if necessary. I’m definitely looking to TKO him.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:33:16).

Comments

Luck of the Irish: 7 things that broke Conor McGregor's way to land huge Floyd Mayweather payday

Conor McGregor doesn’t land this life-changing “Money Fight” against Floyd Mayweather without some breaks on his way to the top.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

How former Conor McGregor foes reacted to TKO loss to Floyd Mayweather

See what some of Conor McGregor’s former opponents thought of his TKO loss to Floyd Mayweather in “The Money Fight.”Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson: Mayweather-McGregor hoopla can't take away from my history

Demetrious Johnson doesn’t care if his upcoming fight promotion has taken a backseat to Mayweather-McGregor.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ray Borg on Demetrious Johnson: 'He's More Vulnerable Than People Think' | MMAWeekly.com

10 opponents have tried and 10 have failed to wrestle away the flyweight title from current champion Demetrious Johnson. On Saturday night at UFC 215, Johnson will look for No. 11 as he attempts to b read news >>

Beating Johnson not an upset in Borg's mind

Ray Borg doesn’t need any reminders from the past to let him know what he’s going up against on Saturday, because, to him, beating Demetrious Johnson wouldn’t be an upset. read news >>

Canada cursed? A history of UFC main-event changes in 'The Great White North'

It still doesn’t seem like all that long ago when UFC business was booming in Canada. Now it can’t hold together a main event.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Champ Tyron Woodley responds to Rafael dos Anjos' callout, has eye on Bisping-GSP winner

Champ Tyron Woodley doesn’t appear interested in granting UFC 215 winner Rafael dos Anjos the next UFC welterweight title shot.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Donald Cerrone, in 'new-age Tombstone outfit,' talks new film, Ray Borg, not studying opponents

Donald Cerrone is a many of many talents and opinions.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Paul Daley: Bellator 183 foe Lorenz Larkin 'below the level of fighter that I'm used to fighting'

Suffice to say, Paul Daley doesn’t think too highly of Lorenz Larkin.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Behold Mike Perry, the UFC's Unlikeliest Rising Star

Mike Perry indulges his violent side. He's finished three of four UFC opponents viciously. He's boxed professionally. He's been to jail. It is absolutely not up for debate that when it's time to fall read news >>