#UFC Fight Night 55 #UFC 217 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #GSP #Michael Bisping

pedro-munhoz-blackhouseFollowing a six-month layoff, Team Black House 135-pound fighter Pedro “Young Punisher” Munhoz returned to MMA with an impressive first-round TKO of veteran Mitch Jackson at RFA 8 in late June.

In the win, Munhoz demonstrated all aspects of his game and showed that he is becoming a complete fighter.

“I knocked (Jackson) down with a knee from the clinch and when he fell down I jumped to the guillotine choke and defeated him with like 30 seconds left in the first round,” said Munhoz.

“I worked (all aspects of my game) pretty well in the fight. I caught him with good jabs, elbows, and then when he was down from the knee (strike), I finished with the guillotine choke.”

Munhoz told MMAWeekly.com that the way he fought in June is very much a reflection of the training he’s received since relocating to the United States and started working with Team Black House.

“My background is in jiu-jitsu, and I was training Muay Thai in Brazil, but when I moved to the United States I started wrestling,” said Munhoz. “Raphael Cordero has also improved my stand-up a lot.

“After that I’ve felt I’ve gotten better after every fight and now I feel like a complete fighter. If I keep my fight standing up, it is no problem for me. I feel comfortable in any situation; standing up, on the ground, wrestling; everything.”

Originally Munhoz was to headline the AXS TV live broadcasted RFA 9 show on Aug. 16 against fellow up-and-comer Keoni Koch. Unfortunately, Koch was forced out of the bout, so Munhoz now faces longtime veteran Jeff “Big Frog” Curran in the evening’s main event title fight.

“Jeff Curran is an experienced fighter, so I think this fight is going to (come down to) mistakes,” said Munhoz. “I’m going to fight very, very focused. I’m going to try to work all the time and make him make mistakes.

“I don’t have one game (plan). If I have the chance to knock him out, I will. If I have a chance to submit him, I will. I don’t want the fight to go to points because I like to finish my fights and that’s what I’m going to try to do.”

For Munhoz, not only would a win over a top-level veteran such as Curran be a big boost for his career, but taking a title in a promotion he feels is first-class will also help him advance.

“It’s a great event, it’s a great organization, and I really like to fight for the RFA,” said Munhoz. “They’ve treated me in these fights very well. If I can win this title, I think a lot of things will change.

“I think I can go to a bigger organization or stay with the RFA for sure because I’ll have this title. It is a big thing to have this RFA title.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Comments

Bellator 185 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from Bellator 185 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Dan Hooker meets Mark Diakiese at UFC 219 in Las Vegas

New Zealand lightweight Dan Hooker seeks the first two-fight UFC winning streak of his career when he takes on English prospect Marc Diakiese. Filed under: News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 118 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from UFC Fight Night 118 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC's Arjan Bhullar hopes he can wear his turban to next fight – and beyond

UFC heavyweight Arjan Bhullar said the promotion had some “learning” to do when said he couldn’t walk to the octagon in a turban. But he’s hopeful that might change.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Marlon Vera: 'I Really Don't Think John Lineker Can Beat Me' | MMAWeekly.com

Marlon Vera will seek to keep his winning streak going when he takes on John Lineker on Saturday at UFC Sao Paulo. read news >>

Video: Grandson of infamous mob boss wins MMA debut

John Gotti III is officially a winning pro-MMA fighter.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Derek Brunson and UFC Fight Night 119's other winning fighters?

See who Derek Brunson should fight next after his victory over Lyoto Machida at UFC Fight Night 119.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from UFC Fight Night 119 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Mickey Gall Sees UFC 217 As the First Defense of His 'Dana White Lookin' For a Fight' Title | MMAWeekly.com

Mickey Gall never takes for granted how he was discovered when the opportunity came to join the UFC roster. Just minutes after his professional mixed martial arts debut, Gall took a shot by calling o read news >>

Jeff Hughes Sees Himself Capturing Heavyweight Title at LFA 26 | MMAWeekly.com

On November 3, Jeff Hughes (7-1) goes for his first major MMA title when he challenges champion Richard Odoms (13-3) in the heavyweight main event of LFA 26. read news >>