pedro-munhoz-blackhouseFollowing a six-month layoff, Team Black House 135-pound fighter Pedro “Young Punisher” Munhoz returned to MMA with an impressive first-round TKO of veteran Mitch Jackson at RFA 8 in late June.

In the win, Munhoz demonstrated all aspects of his game and showed that he is becoming a complete fighter.

“I knocked (Jackson) down with a knee from the clinch and when he fell down I jumped to the guillotine choke and defeated him with like 30 seconds left in the first round,” said Munhoz.

“I worked (all aspects of my game) pretty well in the fight. I caught him with good jabs, elbows, and then when he was down from the knee (strike), I finished with the guillotine choke.”

Munhoz told MMAWeekly.com that the way he fought in June is very much a reflection of the training he’s received since relocating to the United States and started working with Team Black House.

“My background is in jiu-jitsu, and I was training Muay Thai in Brazil, but when I moved to the United States I started wrestling,” said Munhoz. “Raphael Cordero has also improved my stand-up a lot.

“After that I’ve felt I’ve gotten better after every fight and now I feel like a complete fighter. If I keep my fight standing up, it is no problem for me. I feel comfortable in any situation; standing up, on the ground, wrestling; everything.”

Originally Munhoz was to headline the AXS TV live broadcasted RFA 9 show on Aug. 16 against fellow up-and-comer Keoni Koch. Unfortunately, Koch was forced out of the bout, so Munhoz now faces longtime veteran Jeff “Big Frog” Curran in the evening’s main event title fight.

“Jeff Curran is an experienced fighter, so I think this fight is going to (come down to) mistakes,” said Munhoz. “I’m going to fight very, very focused. I’m going to try to work all the time and make him make mistakes.

“I don’t have one game (plan). If I have the chance to knock him out, I will. If I have a chance to submit him, I will. I don’t want the fight to go to points because I like to finish my fights and that’s what I’m going to try to do.”

For Munhoz, not only would a win over a top-level veteran such as Curran be a big boost for his career, but taking a title in a promotion he feels is first-class will also help him advance.

“It’s a great event, it’s a great organization, and I really like to fight for the RFA,” said Munhoz. “They’ve treated me in these fights very well. If I can win this title, I think a lot of things will change.

“I think I can go to a bigger organization or stay with the RFA for sure because I’ll have this title. It is a big thing to have this RFA title.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Felice Herrig hopes UFC 'does the right thing' and gives her VanZant or Waterson

HOUSTON – The way UFC women’s strawweight Felice Herrig sees the situation, the promotion kind of owes her one when it comes to her next fight. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Chan Sung Jung and UFC Fight Night 104's other winning fighters?

UFC Fight Night 104’s main card produced three finishes out of six fights, but no victory was more impressive than Chan Sung Jung’s in the headliner of Saturday’s event at Toyota Center in Houston. L read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

Kamal Shalorus Hopes Win over Ev Ting Sets Up Second ONE Championship Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Kamal Shalorus has a win over the current ONE Championship lightweight champion. He hopes to get a crack at the belt with a win on Friday. read news >>

Brendan Allen Plans to Put Jon Kirk Away at LFA 3 | MMAWeekly.com

On Friday, Brendan Allen seeks to add to his winning streak when he takes on vet Jon Kirk in the 185-pound co-main event of LFA 3. read news >>

Boxer Gets Knocked Down By Flying Ice Bucket After Winning by TKO | FIGHTLAND

Montreal boxer Brandon Cook won the fight, but an ice bucket won the war. On January 28, Cook (18-0, 11 KOs) took on Steven Butler (18-1-1, 15 KOs) in Montreal, and delivered Butler his first loss in read news >>

Twitter reacts to Germaine de Randamie's title-winning victory over Holly Holm at UFC 208

History was made in Saturday’s UFC 208 main event when Germaine de Randamie became first UFC women’s featherweight champion when she defeated fellow striking specialist Holly Holm.Filed under: Featur read news >>

Holly Holm Sees a Rematch with Germaine de Randamie as 'Warranted' | MMAWeekly.com

Holly Holm’s evening at UFC 208 didn’t end like she wanted. She thought she won a five-round fight and would be crowned featherweight champion. read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Germaine de Randamie and UFC 208's other winning fighters?

With another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 208’s winning fighters.Filed read news >>

200-fight veteran Ahmet Kayretli hopes to punch his ticket to UFC, and eventually a title, with weekend win

Bantamweight Ahmet Kayretli boasts more than 200 fights in his combat sports career and has trained alongside the likes of former UFC champ Dominick Cruz and current top flyweight contender Wilson Re read news >>