#UFC on Fox 29 #Dustin Poirier #Conor McGregor #Jon Jones #Justin Gaethje #Daniel Cormier #Kevin Lee #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Alexander Gustafsson #Nate Diaz #Stipe Miocic #Edson Barboza #UFC New York #UFC 217 #Tony Ferguson

Paulo Borrachinha says he was offered Vitor Belfort but thinks UFC vet 'wants an easier fight'

Before he even joined the UFC, middleweight Paulo Borrachinha helped Vitor Belfort prepare for two of his own octagon battles. Now, he wants to meet the veteran inside of it.

The problem is that, according to Borrachinha (10-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC), the desire doesn’t seem mutual. The fighter, who took to social media to ask Belfort (26-13 MMA, 15-10 UFC) to accept a battle at UFC 215 in Edmonton, Canada, guarantees he was actually offered the matchup by the promotion. And he says he agreed in a heartbeat.

While he’s yet to hear a definite no, he has seen some signs. Including an Instagram one, posted shortly before Chris Weidman and Kelvin Gastelum met at last Saturday’s UFC on FOX 25. In it, Belfort said he’d like either a rematch with Gastelum or a meeting with Derek Brunson, referencing only a “beginner” that he was offered.

“This looks more like an attempt of changing the focus from the fight with me,” Borrachinha told MMAjunkie. “I saw he said he was offered a beginner – as if it wasn’t a good thing for him. But even if it were, I think the fact that he didn’t name me means he doesn’t want to fight me.

“He wants to erase the possibility of this fight happening. I think it’s very hard for this fight to happen, because we can’t make anyone fight. I respect the UFC’s policies, but I think if they’re paying the athlete, they shouldn’t be picking too much. But OK. It looks like he wants an easier fight.”

Reached for comment by MMAjunkie, Belfort’s camp sent the following reply:

“We wish him the best. He’s a kid, just starting out in the sport, with great potential. May he keep his head in place, and have the perseverance and patience to reach his goals.”

Borrachinha is at a much different point of his career than his 40-year-old target. At 26, he’s only had two UFC fights, which cap off an undefeated 10-fight record made up of finishes. Of those, nine were knockouts. After starching his first UFC opponent, Garrett McLellan, at UFC Fight Night 206, he got his second straight TKO over Oluwale Bamgbose at UFC 212.

Belfort, in turn, is coming off his own UFC 212 win – a decision over fellow veteran Nate Marquardt. Despite a rough 1-4 recent patch, Belfort has fought some of the biggest names in the sport throughout his more than 20-year career. He’s held a UFC title and fought for it another three times. And though he’s put the thought on hold, he has flirted with the idea of retirement.

While Borrachinha says he didn’t actively pursue the matchup with the veteran, he’s still quite interested in it. First, he clarifies that he has “nothing personal against” Belfort – in fact, it would be an honor to meet some who’s part of the sport’s history. Also, he’s been asking to get a crack at a top-10 opponent – and No. 11 Belfort (in the official UFC rankings) is close enough.

But there’s more to it.

“I wanted the fight to happen – I still do,” Borrachinha said. “It’s a good fight. He’s a well-known guy. I think I’d beat him, too. Without much difficulty. I think despite the fact he’s very experienced, I think I could beat him in the first round.

“Therefore, I’d like the fight. That’s simply it. But it didn’t come from me. The UFC offered it.”

Borrachinha seems encouraged by what he saw in his contact with the former champion. As Belfort’s camp confirmed with MMAjunkie, the up-and-comer was in fact brought in to help the veteran prepare for his UFC 187 title fight with then-champ Weidman and UFC Fight Night 77’s trilogy fight with Dan Henderson.

“He knows me,” Borrachinha said. “He knows my fight style. Even though we didn’t do any intense sparring there, like what I do here – which is more competitive, heavier training.

“With him, it was lighter training. But we got to know each other well. Know each other’s tools, strengths and weaknesses. Maybe that’s why he turned it down. Who knows.”

In case that fails to materialize, Borrachinha says he doesn’t have any other particular names in mind for his next bout. Given his confidence that it’s time to prove his case in the UFC with a bigger name, he’d like someone in the top-10. But he’ll fight outside of it, too. The same way he’ll fight fellow countrymen – case in point – or whomever else the UFC deems fit.

“I’m not here to turn down fights, to handpick who I will or won’t fight,” Borrachinha said.

He would, however, like to get in another fight before year’s end – the UFC’s next incursion in Brazil, rumored for Oct. 28, seems ideal for his camp efforts. After all, that would fit perfectly with the very specific plan he had laid out for the next 18 months.

“I started in the UFC in March – I fought twice,” Borrachinha said. “I intend to fight once mor this year, that will make it three. Next year, I intend to do four fights. The last one – I want it to be for the belt.

“I know it may look recent, but my division is very volatile. It changes very fast. We just saw Weidman beating Gastelum – He was coming off three straight losses, and I think if he wins one more he will be credentialed to fight for the belt again. I think with those four fights next year I can make it up there to the stab at the belt.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Vitor Belfort Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Ricky Simon says he signed UFC deal after LFA 36 main-event title defense

The UFC’s bantamweight roster appears to have a new addition: LFA champion Ricky Simon. read news >>

Brian Ortega Was (Briefly) Offered UFC 223 Fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov | MMAWeekly.com

Top UFC featherweight contender Brian Ortega was nearly the man to take the UFC 223 headlining slot vacated when Tony Ferguson got injured. read news >>

Dana White Questions If Conor McGregor Is on Drugs After Crashing Media Day

Conor McGregor has helped make the UFC a lot of money through the years, but after an out-of-control incident on Thursday, UFC President Dana White is not pleased with the star fighter... read news >>

CES 49's Chris Curtis Plans: 'Everybody Thinks I Should Be in the UFC' | MMAWeekly.com

Chris Curtis (15-5) will defend his title in a 170-pound main event championship match against Jason Norwood (18-4) at CES 49 on Friday in Lincoln, R.I. read news >>

Watch Rose Namajunas Finish Paige VanZant (UFC 223 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

In December 2015, Rose Namajunas ended Paige VanZant's four-fight winning streak when the two met in the UFC Fight Night 80 main event in Las Vegas. read news >>

Could boxing champ Anthony Joshua on his way to the UFC? 'We're all ears, man'

Unbeaten boxing champion Anthony Joshua has his next big fight coming up next week. But after that, could he have a future in the UFC? read news >>

Darren Till vs. Stephen Thompson targeted for Liverpool’s UFC Fight Night 130 headliner

The UFC’s upcoming event in Liverpool appears to have its headliner: Darren Till vs. Stephen Thompson. read news >>

Report: Colby Covington vs. Rafael dos Anjos set for interim title at UFC 224

According to a new report, the UFC is working on an interim title bout between Rafael dos Anjos and Colby Covington for UFC 224. read news >>

Joe Rogan Rips the Win Bonus System in MMA That is 'Stealing' Money from Fighters | MMAWeekly.com

UFC color commentator Joe Rogan is fed up with fighters losing half their money based on a potentially disastrous decision from a judge. In the UFC and virtually every other mixed martial arts promot read news >>

Josh Barnett cleared to fight, receives only 'public reprimand' for USADA violation

The UFC heavyweight has been vindicated after going to arbitration against USADA for a failed drug test in late 2016. read news >>

Kamaru Usman Expected to Face Santiago Ponzinibbio in UFC Chile Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

The upcoming UFC card in Chile has a main event. Former "Ultimate Fighter" winner Kamaru Usman will travel to South America for his first headline fight against Santiago Ponzinibbio in a showdown at read news >>

Tyron Woodley Believes Floyd Mayweather Will Be Able to Handle Anyone in the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley laid out a timeline to begin training Floyd Mayweather for his MMA debut, adding that he thinks the boxer will be able to handle anyone in the UFC. read news >>

Michael Chiesa Fires Back at Critics of Ronda Rousey After She Left the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Chiesa fully supports Ronda Rousey's decision to change career as she leaves the UFC and embarks on a new journey as part of World Wrestling Entertainment. In fact, Chiesa was ringside the ni read news >>

How Michael Chiesa thinks he factors into top of lightweight division before UFC 223

Michael Chiesa’s goal is to finish 2018 undefeated and as the No. 1 contender, and it starts with taking down Anthony Pettis. read news >>

UFC returns to Hamburg for Sunday event on July 22; trio of fighters targeted for German card

The UFC is returning to Hamburg, Germany, for a Sunday event on July 22. read news >>

Ronda Rousey on Floyd Mayweather Crossing Over to UFC: 'That Will Never Happen' | MMAWeekly.com

For all the talk about Floyd Mayweather crossing over into mixed martial arts, former UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey isn't buying it. Rousey, who has a long history engaging in a war read news >>

Search for: