pat-healy-10.jpgUFC lightweight Pat Healy (29-16 MMA, 0-1 UFC) today issued a statement to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in which he apologized for testing positive for marijuana following an upset win over Jim Miller (22-4 MMA, 11-3 UFC) at UFC 159.

The UFC declined to comment on the matter, and the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, which oversaw the event, does not release the names of those who test positive for banned substances following an event. But a Healy representative told MMAjunkie.com that the fighter was suspended for 90 days by the commission and his win will be overturned to a no contest.

In his statement, Healy took full responsibility for the positive test.

“I would like to start off by apologizing to the UFC, Jim Miller, the MMA community, its fans, my family, teammates and coaches for my positive testing for marijuana after my UFC 159 fight with Jim Miller,” he stated. “I was fully aware of the UFC and state commission’s drug policies and made poor life choices.

“I stand behind the UFC and state commission’s disciplinary actions. I support efforts to make MMA (and sports) a clean, safe and fair place to compete.

“I made a very poor choice to socially use marijuana and now I must face the consequences of that choice. I can assure you that I will do everything the UFC and state commission asks of me and beyond. I will make a conscious effort to be a better role model within the MMA community.”

Repeated attempts to contact the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board were unsuccessful. But Phil Claud, Healy’s trainer at Sports Lab in Portland, Ore., said the fighter was notified on Saturday by the New Jersey commission about his suspension and win being overturned.

“I’ve been coaching for a long time, and I’ve never had an athlete test positive on any level,” said Claud. “I have to do a lot of soul searching on my side. It affects me personally and every athlete at Sports Lab. But I believe Pat made a mistake. I believe we beat one of the best fighters in the UFC; I don’t believe the marijuana had any influence on the result of the bout. At the end of the day, I believe in Pat. I’m going to follow my gut and continue to support him.”

Claud said Healy told him that he used the drug one month prior to the bout while spending time with old friends.

Healy, 29, submitted Miller in the third round of their April 27 bout, which served on the pay-per-view main card of the event. UFC 159 took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The impressive performance won Healy dual bonuses for “Fight of the Night” and “Submission of the Night,” which put another $130,000 in disclosed pay in his pocket.

The UFC recently changed its policy to withhold fight-night bonuses until drug testing results are released, so it’s possible Healy’s bonus could be taken back.

It was Healy’s seventh consecutive win, as well, and followed a successful run in the now-defunct Strikeforce.

Mike Constantino, Miller’s manager, declined comment until the UFC confirms the suspension.

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

UFC Statement on Justin Ledet

The UFC organization was formally notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Justin Ledet of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sam read news >>

UFC Issues Statement Addressing Controversial Travel Ban Executive Order | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC issued a statement addressing U.S. President Trump's recent executive order instituting a travel ban. read news >>

UFC Statement on Ricardo Abreu

The UFC organization was formally notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has informed Ricardo Abreu of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample col read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, Feb. 7: A big weekend for 'Korean Zombie,' Andrade

With UFC Fight Night 104 in the books, the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings saw some moves, especially at featherweight and women’s strawweight.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UF read news >>

Former champ, UFC 208 headliner Holly Holm to appear on today's 'Live with Kelly'

Former UFC women’s bantamweight titleholder Holly Holm is no stranger to “Live with Kelly.”Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Should Be Returning to the UFC Soon | FIGHTLAND

Photos by Jason Silva-USA TODAY Sports? / Laitr Keiows?-Wikimedia Commons You have to feel for WME|IMG. Back in July the mega talent agency purchased the UFC for a whopping $4 billion, confident of t read news >>

New UFC champ Germaine de Randamie calls for rematch with Holly Holm, but Holm camp unsure

Newly minted UFC women’s featherweight champ Germaine de Randamie today called for an immediate rematch with Holly Holm, saying they should settle the score after controversy marred their title bout read news >>

Referees, judges selected for UFC 209's championship doubleheader

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today selected referees and judges for next month’s UFC 209 event during a Valentine’s Day meeting in Las Vegas. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET): UFC 208's Ian McCall, Fernanda Prates

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Ian McCall and Fernanda Prates.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Omielanczuk Found to be 'Without Fault' After Testing Positive in UFC Anti-Doping Case | MMAWeekly.com

USADA announced on Monday that UFC athlete Daniel Omielanczuk has tested positive for a prohibited substance, but found "without fault." read news >>