#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Bellator MMA #Kristina Williams #Conor McGregor #Heather Hardy #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #UFC Fight Night 118 #GSP #Neiman Gracie #Darren Till

Pat Healy - StrikeforceThough it might not have been pretty, Pat “Bam Bam” Healy’s win over former Sengoku champion Mizuto Hirota proved that after years of uncertainty, he’s ready to step up against the best fighters in the world.

“I don’t think it was my best performance, but Hirota is a super-tough guy, he’s battle-tested over in Japan and has always done well against guys who have my style. So it was a tough fight, but I think I did enough to win,” said Healy.

“I kind of had my way in wrestling in my last four or five fights. I guess I got a little complacent in my training and thought I was going to dominate in wrestling. I came in not in peak wrestling condition against an opponent who has such good takedown defense and was able to work off the bottom really well too.”

Ultimately Healy feels it was his groundwork that proved to give him the edge in the judges’ eyes.

“I think the striking was pretty even, so I was able to edge him out with my takedowns and the little bit of ground control I had,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

Having won five fights in a row and six of seven fights in Strikeforce, Healy feels he’s earned a shot at current lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez.

“I think I’m putting together a lot of momentum and my game is real solid right now,” said Healy. “I think I’ll be a tough fight for anybody. I think I’ve earned a title shot – more so than anybody in Strikeforce – so I’d really like to see me getting a shot at Gil.

“I’m definitely not saying its Gil or nothing. If (Strikeforce feels) like I need to do another fight, that’s what I’ll do. I’m a fighter and I’ll fight whoever they put in front of me, but I feel like I’ve done enough. If they don’t, I’ll fight whoever I have to.”

With fewer Strikeforce shows this year, Healy knows there’s a chance he might not see action again until 2013, but he’s hoping to return to the cage before the year’s out, while working with a UFC vet in the interim.

“I think I’ll definitely be back this year,” he said. “I’d be really disappointed if I wasn’t.

“I came off the fight injury-free and I’m going to turn around and go help BJ Penn prepare (for his fight at UFC 152). I’ll be right back in the thick of things training with BJ and will be ready whenever they need me.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Galleries

BJ Penn Fights

• 9 months ago

Comments

Patricky Freire says he should get title shot before Michael Chandler

Bellator lightweight Patricky “Pitbull” Freire believes he’s earned the right to cut the line of contenders at 155 pounds.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Mueller believes she can be champ

“I feel like I’m so blessed that I found MMA and realized this is my calling,” she said. “I feel like I’m not just gonna be good at this; I truly believe that I’m going to be great and going to be a read news >>

Crowder believes fighting for the fans is most important

“The fans are the most important, that’s who we’re out there fighting for,” Crowder said. “Without them, we’re beating each other up for no reason. You want to have a good fan base, you want people f read news >>

Conor McGregor Believes He'd Beat Floyd Mayweather in a Rematch | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is a man who learns from his mistakes. Much like avenging his loss to Nate Diaz in March 2016 by returning with a victory five months later in the rematch, McGregor has that same feeli read news >>

Kevin Lee: Tony Ferguson's toughness just means he'll 'take a longer ass-whooping' at UFC 216

Kevin Lee believes Tony Ferguson is done evolving as a fighter, “and if you stop evolving, you start dying.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216's Fabricio Werdum: I deserve title shot with impressive win over Derrick Lewis

Fabricio Werdum believes an impressive win vs. Derrick Lewis at UFC 216 should get him the next shot at heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Derrick Lewis Says He Is 'Not Focused' Heading into UFC 216 Fight Against Werdum

Derrick Lewis is jovial and entertaining on social media, but when Hurricane Harvey hit Houston, Texas, Lewis showed off his heart. And the effects of that storm are still weighing on the UFC heavywe read news >>

Kevin Lee to Conor McGregor: 'This is for the Real Lightweight Championship' | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee believes his title fight with Tony Ferguson is for the true lightweight championship and it will reduce the importance of Conor McGregor's belt. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson was Injured Going into UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

You'd never have known it, but Demetrious Johnson was injured heading into his UFC 216 flyweight title defense against Ray Borg. read news >>

Marcin Tybura enjoying unexpected benefit of Mark Hunt-Dana White feud

Currently training at Jackson-Wink MMA, heavyweight up-and-comer Marcin Tybura believes a win over Fabricio Werdum may very well lead to a request for a title shot.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>