Pat Healy - StrikeforceThough it might not have been pretty, Pat “Bam Bam” Healy’s win over former Sengoku champion Mizuto Hirota proved that after years of uncertainty, he’s ready to step up against the best fighters in the world.

“I don’t think it was my best performance, but Hirota is a super-tough guy, he’s battle-tested over in Japan and has always done well against guys who have my style. So it was a tough fight, but I think I did enough to win,” said Healy.

“I kind of had my way in wrestling in my last four or five fights. I guess I got a little complacent in my training and thought I was going to dominate in wrestling. I came in not in peak wrestling condition against an opponent who has such good takedown defense and was able to work off the bottom really well too.”

Ultimately Healy feels it was his groundwork that proved to give him the edge in the judges’ eyes.

“I think the striking was pretty even, so I was able to edge him out with my takedowns and the little bit of ground control I had,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

Having won five fights in a row and six of seven fights in Strikeforce, Healy feels he’s earned a shot at current lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez.

“I think I’m putting together a lot of momentum and my game is real solid right now,” said Healy. “I think I’ll be a tough fight for anybody. I think I’ve earned a title shot – more so than anybody in Strikeforce – so I’d really like to see me getting a shot at Gil.

“I’m definitely not saying its Gil or nothing. If (Strikeforce feels) like I need to do another fight, that’s what I’ll do. I’m a fighter and I’ll fight whoever they put in front of me, but I feel like I’ve done enough. If they don’t, I’ll fight whoever I have to.”

With fewer Strikeforce shows this year, Healy knows there’s a chance he might not see action again until 2013, but he’s hoping to return to the cage before the year’s out, while working with a UFC vet in the interim.

“I think I’ll definitely be back this year,” he said. “I’d be really disappointed if I wasn’t.

“I came off the fight injury-free and I’m going to turn around and go help BJ Penn prepare (for his fight at UFC 152). I’ll be right back in the thick of things training with BJ and will be ready whenever they need me.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC on Fox 23 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into Fight Night 104

UFC on Fox 23 is in the books. The results are as follows: Main Card Valentina Shevchenko def. Julianna Pena via second-round submission Jorge Masvidal def. Donald Cerrone via second-round TKO Franci read news >>

Cage Warriors 81 heads to Dublin in March with light heavyweight title up for grabs

Cage Warriors is heading back to Ireland for the first time since 2014 when it brings a vacant title fight to Dublin. Filed under: Cage Warriors, News read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Jessica Andrade believes title shot looms with win over Angela Hill

Jessica Andrade believes she’s close to a strawweight title shot, and that a win on Saturday might put her over the top. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Yair Rodriguez believes Penn win has him creeping closer to UFC featherweight title shot

HOUSTON – After his brutal beatdown of UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn a few weeks ago, Yair Rodriguez can admit just taking the fight put him in a no-win situation. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, U read news >>

Demian Maia Issues Statement on Waiting for UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Demian Maia believes he is next in line for a UFC welterweight title shot and is willing to wait for it. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC 208

UFC Fight Night 104 is in the books. The results are as follows: Main Card Chan Sung Jung def. Dennis Bermudez, knockout (Round 1, 2:49) Felice Herrig def. Alexa Grasso, unanimous decision (29-28, 29 read news >>

Bellator 176 sends promotion back to Italy on April 8 for MMA/kickboxing event

Bellator is heading back across the pond for another dual MMA/kickboxing event in Italy. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Jacare Souza Believes Luke Rockhold is Avoiding Him, Remains Focused on the Belt (UFC 208 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jacare Souza believes Luke Rockhold is avoiding him and knows he has a tough fight with Tim Boetsch ahead, but he remains focused on a UFC title shot. read news >>

Fans invited to this week's Bellator 172 weigh-ins, tailgate party with Ortiz, Gracie, Davis, Henderson

Heading to the Silicon Valley this week for Bellator 172? The promotion has some chances for you to get up close and personal with some of its stars.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>