#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #UFC Fight Night 118 #Alexander Shlemenko #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Bellator MMA #Kristina Williams #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Heather Hardy #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Neiman Gracie #Zak Bucia #Conor McGregor

Pat Healy was happy to be back in the UFC.

In fact, the 29-year-old lightweight struggled to keep from smiling while he waited on Jim Miller to make his entrance ahead of their April 27 matchup at UFC 159.

In a recent interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, Healy discussed his journey back to the Octagon, his submission win over Miller and more.

On the long road back to the UFC after the promotion cut him in August 2006: “It’s been quite an adventure. I’ve had some great experiences because of it, some not so great, but it’s certainly been a good ride.”

On whether he considered quitting MMA: “I never really considered getting out of it. My love of fighting has always kept me in it, but I certainly felt like, ‘Man, am I ever going to be financially successful? Is this ever something I’m going to be able to do full time?’ It started with Strikeforce, but now with UFC, it’s a lot more of a stable financial future, at least for the next few years hopefully.”

On whether fighters coming over from Strikeforce have a chip on their shoulders: “Oh, definitely. I think when we were fighting in Strikeforce, it would build. You’d have a good win and nobody would talk about it or they’d discredit it. … Now that we have the opportunity, every guy I know from Strikeforce has definitely got a chip on their shoulder and came in there fighting like, ‘Hey, man, we’ve got to show them what’s up.”

On being a UFC fighter now and coming off a win: “At times I never thought I’d ever hear that, but now that I’m finally here and especially to come in on a good solid win like that against a tough opponent on a main card of a UFC, it’s almost like a dream come true.”

On the adjustments he made after losing the opening round to Miller: “He rocked me right at the end of the first round. I went to the stool and I was kind of dazed. There wasn’t much going through my head at that point, but I knew I had to push the pace with him. What I was doing on the feet wasn’t enough. I had to kick it up to the next gear, stay on him more with the takedowns and the clinch, and when I did get him down, I couldn’t stop working because if I gave him a second, he was either going to change the position on me or get back up.”

On whether he was nervous: “To be honest, I was just really excited. You come out that tunnel and you see all those people. A lot of them might not have been cheering for me, but just to hear them cheer, especially when Miller came out and it just exploded, I was excited. To me that was like, ‘Man, I’m here. This is it. This is what you’ve been working so hard for.’ I was trying to keep the smile off my face when I was standing in the ring.”

On what the win does for him: “I definitely think I’m a top-10 lightweight. It was a big introduction to the UFC fans, but I still think I’ve got more work to do to prove that I deserve a shot at Benson [Henderson]. I certainly welcome that top competition and I want to stay fighting guys who are in that conversation.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:34:39).

Comments

Stevie Ray working through the trials, tribulations of waiting for new UFC deal

Lightweight Stevie Ray has been on the shelf since a knockout loss to Paul Felder – and now he’s uncertain what his UFC contract status is.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Waiting for Kevin Lee to Make Weight at UFC 216 (LIVE STREAM) | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee missed weight on his initial attempt for UFC 216. Watch live as we wait for him to return to the scale. read news >>

Police waiting to hear from UFC vet Rony Jason after alleged assault of woman caught on tape

Brazilian police are expecting to hear from Rony Jason after videos of what appears to be the fighter assaulting a woman circulated online.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Edson Barboza Reveals He's Been Offered a Fight Against Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

Edson Barboza is just waiting on a response from the undefeated Russian read news >>

UFC champ Cris Cyborg waiting for right deal to fight Holly Holm at UFC 219

Cris Cyborg could defend her title against Holly Holm at UFC 219. But her manager said a new deal needs to be struck before Cyborg can commit.Filed under: Featured, UFC read news >>

WME-IMG is No More as UFC Owners Rebrand Under New Company Name | MMAWeekly.com

WME-IMG — the owners of the UFC — have formed a new holding company called 'Endeavor' that will now serve as the umbrella organization over all of the brands under their portfolio. The announcement w read news >>

Ian McCall fires manager, then gets release from UFC after $100,000 demand

Veteran flyweight Ian McCall today asked for his release from UFC contract after the promotion denied his demand for a $100,000 payout in his next fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ray Borg, Several Others, Could Be Sideline Until 2018 After UFC 216 Suspensions Issued | MMAWeekly.com

Despite a hard-fought battle with Kevin Lee, Tony Ferguson escaped the fight unscathed. Lee wasn't as lucky. Lee's situation isn't serious, however, as he received a minimal suspension for a possible read news >>

Tony Ferguson's Championship Choke (UFC 216 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from Tony Ferguson's interim lightweight title victory over Kevin Lee at UFC 216 on Satur read news >>

Georges St-Pierre adds former opponent Jake Shields to UFC 217 training camp

Georges St-Pierre has enlisted the help of a former opponent ahead of his UFC 217 title fight with Michael Bisping.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>