#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Fabricio Werdum #Conor McGregor

Pat CurranOver the course of the past couple years, Pat Curran has gone from underdog to Bellator featherweight champion. And through each step of the process in working his way to the top, he has put in the hard work and made the right decisions.

That doesn’t mean things are always easy.

This past January, Curran successfully defended his title against Patricio Freire in a fight that pushed him to his limit.

“He was an extremely tough opponent with a tough jaw and hard to finish,” said Curran of Freire. “It was a little closer than I’d like, but I’m happy to come away with a win and defend my title for the first time.

“Once I started getting my rhythm and timing down, I started finding openings more and finding a home for my jab. I was landing the cleaner shots on him and by the end of the fight his face was more swollen than mine.”

It was perhaps Freire looking the worse for wear that earned Curran a split-decision victory. Although it was a much more difficult fight than he anticipated, Curran is happy that it gave him a good sense of who he is coming into this year.

“I definitely wanted to make a statement and prove to myself that my boxing is definitely on par with an elite level. I definitely wanted to prove that and I think I did,” Curran told MMAWeekly.com.

“It felt great to get five rounds and find out where my cardio and endurance is and push myself to see where I can improve and better myself after that.”

Originally Curran was set to make his second title defense against Daniel Straus at Bellator 95 on April 4 in Atlantic City, NJ, live on Spike TV. Straus, however, suffered an injury, so Curran will face Shahbulat Shamhalaev instead.

“They’re definitely different fighters and I have to go in there with a completely different mindset and gameplan, but I feel like I’m an experienced, well-rounded fighter and little tweaks here and there will make the difference,” said Curran.

“Going into this fight, this is my fourth title fight with Bellator, and I’m very confident with my experience going into this fight. I’ve been through a couple five-round wars and I know what it’s like to fight 25 minutes and prepare for it and not wear myself out.”

Now that he’s risen to the top of Bellator, Curran knows he’s going to have to continue to work just as hard as he did before to stay where he’s at.

“I’ve been in everyone else’s shoes and I know what they’ve been through and what they’re going through and what they want,” he said. “Everybody wants what I have right now.

“I worked really hard to get where I’m at. I put a lot of hours in the gym and a lot of time into things and I’m definitely not going to let go of things easily. You’re going to have to pretty much kill me to take that away from me.”

Comments

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2549 with Andre Fili and Alexander Shlemenko

Stream or download Monday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Andre Fili and Alexander Shlemenko.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Sam Sicilia vs. Marcos Galvao, Alexis Dufresne vs. Amber Leibrock set for Bellator 189

Longtime UFC fighter Sam Sicilia now has a date and an opponent for his Bellator debut. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Ready to add a Randy Couture bobblehead to your collection at Bellator 186?

Looking for more MMA legend bobbleheads to round out your collection? You’ll get another chance next week.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Scott Coker Determined to Make Michael Page vs. Paul Daley Happen | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator MMA welterweight Michael "Venom" Page recently stated that he'd only take a fight against fellow Englishman Paul "Semtex" Daley if Daley agreed to a winner take all bout agreement. The fight read news >>

Bellator signs Goiti Yamauchi to new long-term contract

Goiti Yamauchi is sticking with Bellator for the foreseeable future after signing a new long-term deal with the promotion.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

'Robbed' against Mousasi, Shlemenko also wants 5-round non-title Bellator headliners

Count Alexander Shlemenko among those who would like to see Bellator adopt five-round fights for non-title Bellator headliners.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio Highlight, Videos read news >>

New Bellator app allows main-card streaming, live prelims overseas

Bellator fans around the world, say goodbye to preliminary-card tape delay.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Champ Ryan Bader to show 'disrespectful' Linton Vassell 'another level' at Bellator 186

Champ Ryan Bader using Linton Vassell’s talk as fuel for his performance in the Bellator 186 main event.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Still undefeated, Bellator 185's Jordan Young plans move to 205 pounds

Surging Bellator fighter Jordan Young isn’t resting on his success at middleweight. He’s moving up to 205 pounds.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Ed Ruth Lays Out His Bellator 186 Game Plan for Chris Dempsey | MMAWeekly.com

Ed Ruth (3-0) takes on his most experienced opponent yet when he faces Chris Dempsey (11-5) in a Bellator 186 main card 185-pound bout. read news >>