#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Conor McGregor #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #Nate Diaz #GGG #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #Time To Shine

Pat Barry doesn’t expect his May 5 meeting with Lavar Johnson to go three rounds.

In fact, if it does, then something went wrong.

“Lavar Johnson is not a distance fighter,” Barry told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He doesn’t go the distance. He doesn’t want to be in there for 15 minutes. I personally want to throw one punch and end the fight and then go home and eat something. I don’t want to go the distance. I count fights that go the distance as a personal loss on my part, which is my style of fighting and how I’ve always been my entire career. I’ve always felt like if the fight goes the distance, then I didn’t do something right.”

The heavyweight matchup is scheduled for the main card at UFC on Fox 3. Johnson made his Octagon debut at UFC on Fox 2 in January, knocking out Joey Beltran. Barry was impressed.

“Joey Beltran had never been knocked out,” said Barry, “never been knocked down, and this guy was able to do it in what? Two minutes? In his UFC debut?”

Johnson is a big, hard-punching opponent. Barry, however, packs plenty of power himself and has fought some of the scariest strikers in both MMA and kickboxing.

“Lavar Johnson has run through the guys he fought in a very aggressive manner,” Barry said. “He’s really aggressive. He has a really intimidating appearance and his aura about him. He’s a pretty confident guy. Do I think anyone has necessarily stood there toe-to-toe with him? No. Am I going to be the first one to do it? I’m not saying that. Probably not. Lavar Johnson kills everybody within two or three minutes of round one, so there’s a chance … if I have to, I’ll run from him for three minutes to take him to minute four, where he’s never been and then employ my game there. But it all depends on what he allows me to do.”

While Barry may not get in a firefight with Johnson, that doesn’t mean he’s going to come in shooting takedowns. His strength is on the feet, and he’ll try to win the fight there.

“Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think that a fight is where you want to experiment with new things,” Barry said with a laugh. “That’s just me. Four out of his five losses have come from submissions, but I don’t know if I want to necessarily practice my submission game when the bell rings with a guy who has fists the size of my head. Like I said, if it’s there, I’ll go for it, but I’m not getting in there looking for that in particular. I see holes in his game everywhere, just like I’m sure he sees holes in my game. He sees things in my game that he can capitalize on. Come fight time, we’ll see what happens.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:06:40).

Comments

Luck of the Irish: 7 things that broke Conor McGregor's way to land huge Floyd Mayweather payday

Conor McGregor doesn’t land this life-changing “Money Fight” against Floyd Mayweather without some breaks on his way to the top.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Why Tony Ferguson says Conor McGregor is 'fighting the wrong Mexican'

Tony Ferguson explains how he came to get booked against Kevin Lee at UFC 216 and offers a message to lightweight champ Conor McGregor.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

What Went Wrong for Conor McGregor Against Floyd Mayweather?

For a little while, it looked like he was going to pull it off. It really looked like Conor McGregor was poised to score an upset victory over Floyd Mayweather Jr. in The Money Fight. For two rounds, read news >>

Floyd Mayweather: I Guaranteed You Conor Wouldn't Go The Distance (FULL Post Press Remarks) | MMAWeekly.com

Hear everything Floyd Mayweather had to say after beating Conor McGregor in their epic event at the post-fight press conference. read news >>

Watch Stefan Struve Make Short Work of Lavar Johnson (UFC Rotterdam Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Stefan Struve submit Lavar Johnson in 2012. read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson: Mayweather-McGregor hoopla can't take away from my history

Demetrious Johnson doesn’t care if his upcoming fight promotion has taken a backseat to Mayweather-McGregor.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Darren Till and Bojan Velickovic Go the Distance (UFC Rotterdam Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Darren Till and Bojan Velickovic's fight at UFC Fight Night 115 on Saturday in Rotterdam. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson may make history at UFC 215, but don't expect it to change much

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson is one win away from breaking Anderson Silva’s record for consecutive UFC title defenses. Just don’t expect it to win over many new fans, and don’t expect Jo read news >>

Wilson Reis on what went wrong vs. Demetrious Johnson, what could go right vs. Henry Cejudo

Wilson Reis is looking to finish Henry Cejudo in the first round of their UFC 215 bout hoping to secure a UFC 219 spot in Las Vegas.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Beating Johnson not an upset in Borg's mind

Ray Borg doesn’t need any reminders from the past to let him know what he’s going up against on Saturday, because, to him, beating Demetrious Johnson wouldn’t be an upset. read news >>