#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Kristina Williams #Bellator MMA #Heather Hardy #Conor McGregor #Neiman Gracie #Zak Bucia #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #GSP

Karo Parisyan: Sherdog.com

It didn’t look like Karo Parisyan would ever fight in the UFC again.

Dana White had said as much on Twitter after Parisyan withdrew last minute from a UFC 106 bout against Dustin Hazelett last November: “Karo Parisyan has f---ed over the UFC, the fans and his opponent again!!! He will not be fighting saturday or ever again in the UFC!!”

A year later, Parisyan has been granted another chance. He fights Dennis Hallman on Saturday at UFC 123. The preliminary bout is a long ways from Parisyan’s time as a title contender, but it’s also a good distance from his struggles with panic attacks.

“For the last three fights, I’ve walked in cages feeling that I was going to die,” Parisyan said during a recent interview on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “It’s Time” show with Bruce Buffer. “If anybody has gone through a panic attack, a full-blown panic attack with your mind racing where you feel like putting a bullet in your brain just to escape it, it terrifies you. You’re shaking off of it. I’ve walked in and fought Thiago Alves like that. I told myself I will never, ever walk in a cage or do anything where it counts in my life if I’m feeling like this again.”

After success as a young MMA fighter, Parisyan said he began having panic attacks when he had to support a family and the sport became his career. Now, though, he believes he has the issue under control.

“I’m better. I’m in a better place,” Parisyan said. “I feel mentally way better than I was a year and a half ago. I’ve just changed my entire life around.”

In addition to suffering panic attacks, Parisyan was accused of painkiller addiction. He tested positive for painkillers following his January 2009 bout against Dong Hyun Kim, but he said that was not the result of an addiction.

“Listen, I’ve never been addicted to anything as such,” Parisyan said. “Maybe I might have abused it to a certain point, where it kind of gave me a chemical imbalance in my brain and added to my problems and didn’t make anything better.”

Considering Parisyan’s issues, it could be seen as remarkable that for the most part he kept winning in the UFC.

“There have been fights where I’ve been half [in-shape], but I’ve still beaten the guy,” he said. “There have been fights where I haven’t been in shape at all, but I’ve still beaten the guy. … Thank God I do have that competitive [drive], that pride and I do have a big heart.”

Against Hallman, Parisyan plans to be “pure and healthy,” perhaps for the first time in a while. Prefight jitters are unavoidable, though. Parisyan said he just has to overcome them and start climbing back up the ladder again.

“I think I just got to get in there and fight and get that W under my wing,” he said. “Just feel that old Karo back.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 14:40) with Parisyan, who also discussed the likelihood that he’ll ever fight for the UFC welterweight title.

Comments

UFC Fight Night 117 medical suspensions: No tapping gets Yushin Okami 45 days

UFC veteran Yushin Okami didn’t appear to have much choice in the matter, but his lack of tap against Ovince Saint Preux brings a 45-day suspension.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov to new interim UFC champ Tony Ferguson: 'You deserve this belt'

Khabib Nurmagomedov’s history with Tony Ferguson didn’t stop him from congratulating the new UFC interim lightweight champ.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ray Borg coach credits John Dodson as key player in prep for UFC champ Demetrious Johnson

Ray Borg didn’t have to look far for advice on what it’s like to face UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Where does UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson rank his record winning streak?

Demetrious Johnson is on the cusp of UFC history, but you wouldn’t know it by hearing him talk about it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

'UFC 216 Embedded,' No. 3: Derrick Lewis pushes cardio limits, tries negotiating a tasty meal

Go behind the scenes with fighters during their final preparations for UFC 216.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216 early weigh-in results and live video stream (noon ET)

MMAjunkie is reporting live from the early and official UFC 216 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at noon ET (9 a.m. PT local time).Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC 216 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 8 p.m. ET

Catch a live video stream of the UFC 216 ceremonial weigh-ins from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas at 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch today's UFC 217 press conference with Bisping, GSP, others at 6:30 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS – Check out a live stream of today’s UFC 217 press conference, which includes all six title-fight participants, live here on MMAjunkie at 6:30 p.m. ET (3:30 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, read news >>

Video: Hardy, Gooden break down Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee at UFC 216

Check out UFC analysts Dan Hardy and John Gooden with their breakdown of the UFC 216 main event between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Hardy, Gooden break down Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg at UFC 216

Check out UFC analysts Dan Hardy and John Gooden with their breakdown of the UFC 216 co-main event between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>