ovince-st-preux-ufc-171When he first learned his UFC 171 opponent had scratched from the card, Ovince St. Preux seemed most upset that his strict dieting would go to waste.

It didn’t. But after beating short-notice replacement Nikita Krylov (16-4 MMA, 1-2 UFC), the 30-year-old light heavyweight still had weight on his mind.

“Even throughout the week, I felt good,” St. Preux (15-5 MMA, 3-0 UFC) told MMAjunkie after this past Saturday’s pay-per-view event at Dallas’ American Airlines Center. “My weight felt good. I came in at about 217 (pounds), and I only had to lose two pounds when I woke up Friday morning, and I don’t think I even got up to 220 today. But other than that, I felt really good.”

What felt really good, though, was the benefit that followed his win: money. He got a lot more of than his contracted purse for submitting his opponent with a little-seen Von Flue choke in the PPV opener.

“(I’m) definitely happy because it got me $50,000,” St. Preux, who won a “Performance of the Night” bonus, said. “I really wanted to stand up in this fight, but coach wanted me to take him down, because I could take advantage of him on the ground. But the minute he grabbed my head, I was like, ‘This is a move I learned, like, five years ago.’ And I stuck to it and finished with that.”

As he said in a previous interview, St. Preux wasn’t happy to lose his originally scheduled opponent when Thiago Silva went on an alleged domestic rampage that left him in jail, and he certainly didn’t approve of the abuse allegations surrounding the Brazilian fighter. But while the circumstances leading up to the bout may have been unfortunate, he was able to salvage the buzz lost with an impressive win over a lesser-known opponent.

Asked on Saturday whether he had gained as much by beating Krylov rather than Silva, St. Preux said, “probably not as much as if I would have fought Thiago.”

St. Preux, however, now has won three straight in the UFC since transferring from the now-defunct Strikeforce promotion, and he’s finished three out of his past four opponents. That should give him some good traction in the light-heavyweight division, but how much is yet to be known.

St. Preux said he might not have taken a big leap, but he certainly hasn’t slipped.

“Just because of what I did, the Von Flue, a lot of people noticed it, and a lot of people are going to be talking about it,” he said. “So either way, it works for me.”

For complete coverage of UFC 171, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

* * * *

Check out video highlights and a recap of UFC 171:

This embed is invalid

"/>

UFC on FOX 23's Nate Marquardt talks staving off retirement, fighting former training partner in Alvey

DENVER – It wasn’t that long ago that Nate Marquardt was ready to hang up his gloves and move on to something else. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Nate Diaz Wants to Box Because UFC Put Him on the Shelf | MMAWeekly.com

Nate Diaz recently applied for a boxing license because he is "being put on the shelf" by the UFC. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Hints at Upcoming UFC Title Defense | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC has some upcoming fight cards to fill, and it appears one of them is going to feature strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk's return to the Octagon. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Jason Knight plans Caceres KO, new contract and callout of 'The Korean Superboy'

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Don’t accuse Jason Knight for being one of those UFC fighters who doesn’t think ahead each time he enters and exits the octagon.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Champ Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson rematch headlines UFC 210 in Buffalo

A light heavyweight title fight will headline UFC 210.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Returns in UFC 210 Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

This is one time where waiting pays off, as light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier returns at UFC 210 to put his belt on the line. read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson 2 Announced for UFC 210: Details, Reaction

The UFC announced Wednesday that Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson will meet in a rematch of their May 2015 clash at UFC 210 in Buffalo, New York, on April 8. Cormier (18-1) secured a victory via su read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Alex Caceres won't trash talk fighter he doesn't know – or Jason Knight

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – UFC featherweight Alex Caceres’ manager texted him recently to ask whether he’d fight his next opponent. Caceres, though, just wanted the details of when. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for UFC on FOX 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena full live results and fight stats. First fight is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 28. read news >>

New division unleashed: Check out the 'UFC 208: Holm vs. De Randamie' extended preview

The UFC returns to New York for the third time in 14 weeks when it brings UFC 208 to Brooklyn next month. Check out the extended video preview for the event inside.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>