#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

Matt Serra may not want to use the word “retired,” but odds are nevertheless good that the welterweight veteran has hung up his gloves.

Serra recently elaborated on his probable retirement in an interview with Newsday, explaining that only a fight at Madison Square Garden could inspire him to climb back into the UFC’s Octagon.

“It’s hard to say it,” Serra told Newsday. “It’s like you can’t say it, even though it probably is true. I would love to put closure on my career with one last fight at the Garden, but at the same time, if that doesn’t happen, I definitely consider myself done. It’s hard to say the ‘R word.’ I might never say the ‘R word.’

“I really think I’m walking away,” Serra continued. “I’m going to be 39. I just had my rib taken out. I’m having my third kid. My schools are doing well. What am I doing, looking for another pay day? It’s not really for that. I mean, it doesn’t stink, but it’s not really for that. Am I still trying to hold on for the glory? Glory is a drug, dude. I’m telling you, that’s the problem. It really is. I know why guys can’t walk away. I absolutely get it.”

Serra’s decision was in part informed by a recent health issue. Two days prior to cornering one of his fighters at an April 5 Ring of Combat show in Atlantic City, N.J., the former welterweight champion reportedly felt a pain in his left arm following a jiu-jitsu session at one of his schools. The pain eventually worsened, forcing him to drive to the emergency room at 2 a.m. following the ROC event.

The fighter was diagnosed with two blood clots in his arm and another in his lungs. To correct the problem, Serra’s doctor placed him on blood thinners and surgically removed his first rib, which was compressing a blood vessel and restricting blood flow. Serra is expected to recover from the surgery in six to eight weeks, but will be required to stay on the blood thinners for another month before he can resume training.

Serra has not competed since September 2010, when he was outpointed in a rematch with Chris Lytle at UFC 119. “The Terror” is best known for his Cinderella run at the welterweight championship, which saw him capture “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 4 title before knocking out heavily favored champion Georges St. Pierre in 2007. The New Yorker would hand the title back to St. Pierre a year later, however, falling to “Rush” in his first title defense at UFC 83.

With his fighting career now most likely in his rearview mirror, Serra will continue to focus on his jiu-jitsu academies and his family.

“I know I can still knock some of these guys out and be a threat on the ground,” said Serra, “but, at the same time, [my next fight] used to be that thing that made me happiest. Now, I whistle to work going to my schools. I love hanging out with my kids, my family. That’s something you never really anticipate or understand until you have a family. I love spending time with my girls. I’m a very involved dad.”

Comments

UFC champ Michael Bisping loves New York but doesn't 'give a (expletive)' about fighting at MSG

Michael Bisping pays no mind to the fact that he’s days away from headlining UFC 217 at famed Madison Square Garden.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White and Crew Take Over New York On Lookin' for a Fight | MMAWeekly.com

UFC President Dana White and former champion Matt Serra visit New York City with UFC light heavyweight and lifelong New Yorker Gian Villante. read news >>

Before UFC 217 headliner, watch Georges St-Pierre get revenge on Matt Serra to reclaim title

Georges St-Pierre had revenge on his mind, and that’s exactly what he got on Matt Serra to reclaim welterweight gold in 2008.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

After 'emotional rollercoaster' of scrapped UFC 216 bout, Mark Godbeer happy it led to MSG

For Mark Godbeer, it turns out his last-minute fight cancellation last month was worth it.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Listen to UFC 217's Jorge Masvidal explain why fighting at MSG means so much

For Jorge Masvidal, it simply doesn’t get better than fighting at Madison Square Garden because of the rich history.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, UFC, Videos read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Avenges Loss to Matt Serra (UFC 217 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

The last time former welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre felt defeat inside the Octagon was at UFC 69 in 2007 when Matt Serra finished him in the first round. read news >>

Colby Covington issues formal apology (but not really) to 'any filthy animal I offended'

Colby Covington has issues a formal apology for his UFC Fight Night 119 antics, but it’s likely not what you expect.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Volkan Oezdemir's attempt to troll UFC champ Daniel Cormier kind of backfired

Volkan Oezdemir tried to use Luke Rockhold to troll UFC champ Daniel Cormier, but it backfired.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 post-event facts: Is this the end of Lyoto Machida?

Check out all the facts, figures and footnotes from UFC Fight Night 119, which took place Saturday in Sao Paulo.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Derek Brunson and UFC Fight Night 119's other winning fighters?

See who Derek Brunson should fight next after his victory over Lyoto Machida at UFC Fight Night 119.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>