#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

When longtime ONE Championship welterweight champion Ben Askren signed a contract extension with the Asia-based promotion at the end of 2015, he told his friends and family it would be his last.

By the end of 2017, his fighting days will be over.

Now just two months away from his final trip to the cage, Askren is trying to write the perfect ending – a professional MMA career of 18-0 – and set up his future.

“You have to be accepting of everything you’ve accomplished up to that point and accept that there’s a time to retire and move on to other pursuits in my life,” Askren (18-0) told MMAjunkie during a conference call in support of his career-ending fight against Shinya Aoki (39-7) at “ONE: Immortal Pursuit,” which takes place Nov. 24 at Singapore Indoor Stadium.

Askren, a two-time NCAA wrestling champ and former Bellator titleholder, doesn’t plan to stray too far from his core competency. He will coach wrestlers at his academy in Wisconsin. He expects to go to work for his promoter, first as a matchmaker and then as a marketer and manager.

“I’m excited and eager to jump at any task they throw my way,” Askren said. “But first and foremost, I’ve got to finish my career right.”

Askren didn’t feel as certain about his expiration date at 30, one month before he won the ONE title. At 33, though, he has no doubt his decision to step away from the cage is the right one. The physical demands no longer provide much allure.

“I used to love going in the gym every single day,” he said. “I used to be passionate about it. I couldn’t wait. There was nothing I was more excited for. And now, I frickin’ hate it.

“I’m disciplined enough to still do it. I’m disciplined to get up two times a day and go to the gym every day and not miss a workout. But I don’t like it any more. So I know it’s my time.”

Askren didn’t want to become another athlete who’d hung on too long, particularly in a sport where that choice could lead to serious injury. Plus, he wants to be a better parent and husband, and he can’t do that if he’s training and fighting full-time.

“I’m taking time out of those things, which I thoroughly enjoy, to be selfish about my own training and making sure I’m the best I can be,” he said.

One month after his final fight in Singapore, he’ll welcome his third child. Being the world’s best dad will be right next to being the world’s best MMA executive on his list of post-career goals.

A behind-the-scenes role is not entirely new for Askren. When he couldn’t find an opponent to compete against for his professional debut in 2009, he and a few buddies decided to start their own MMA promotion, Headhunter Productions. At a Holiday Inn a stone’s throw from his alma mater at the University of Missouri, he stopped his opponent in less than 2 minutes. Another Mizzou alum and Askren teammate made his debut that night: Tyron Woodley.

ONE Championship, which boasts a broadcast reach of one billion potential viewers, is obviously on a much bigger scale. But Askren expects his hard work will shorten his learning curve.

“Whatever I’ve taken to, I’ve had success at,” Askren said. “And I think it’s because I’m so disciplined and determined in what I do.”

For more on ONE Championship 65, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Six months after controversy, New York commission officially implements instant replay

The New York State Athletic Commission now officially has an instant replay policy on its books. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 staff picks: Who's taking Lyoto Machida to win after 28 months off?

Check out our staff’s picks for the six fights on the UFC Fight Night 119 main card in Sao Paulo, Brazil.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Former UFC title challenger Gabriel Gonzaga edges out decision in pro boxing debut

Former UFC title challenger Gabriel Gonzaga was successful in his professional boxing debut on Saturday.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Watch the Submission That Made Dana White Sign Matt Frevola (Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Matt Frevola made the most of his opportunity on Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series and secured a fantastic choke to earn a UFC contract. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 medical suspensions: Headliner Lyoto Machida out 60 days

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida must spend two months on the bench after a knockout loss to Derek Brunson at UFC Fight Night 119.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Unfiltered Episode 142: Cody Garbrandt

UFC Bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt calls in ahead of his UFC 217 bout against TJ Dillashaw and discusses TJ as an opponent, his back injury, wanting Mighty Mouse next, expecting his first child read news >>

The 10: The Best from an Action-Packed November

The final two months of each UFC campaign tend to be loaded with events and stacked with stars. Without any further ado, here’s a look at some of the key fights coming your way over the next month. T read news >>

Mickey Gall Sees UFC 217 As the First Defense of His 'Dana White Lookin' For a Fight' Title | MMAWeekly.com

Mickey Gall never takes for granted how he was discovered when the opportunity came to join the UFC roster. Just minutes after his professional mixed martial arts debut, Gall took a shot by calling o read news >>

Aiemann Zahabi has some questions for Sean Shelby after UFC 217

Aiemann Zahabi has waited eight months for his second UFC fight. After UFC 217, he doesn’t expect to wait that long again.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Cody Garbrandt Releases Infamous Sparring Video Showing Knockdown Against TJ Dillashaw | MMAWeekly.com

Following months of chatter, Cody Garbrandt has released a short video showing his knockout against T.J. Dillashaw from a sparring session from their time as teammates at Team Alpha Male. Garbrandt r read news >>