#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

tito-ortiz-23.jpgHave Tito Ortiz‘s comeback flirtations ended, or just hit a brief pause?

Just one day after getting the media all atwitter about returning to the cage, possibly to fight in Bellator, the UFC Hall of Famer’s message today was: “Don’t count your chickens before they hatch! Damn time to look else where. #Positive.”

Of course, Ortiz could just as easily be talking about a lottery ticket as a fight contract. But still, his recent messages are something of a departure from his role as a retired champ turned manager.

In May, Ortiz gave the impression that family was far more important than a return to the octagon, where he left the sport in July 2012 with a 16-11-1 record.

“As far as the glory, I don’t miss any of that stuff at all I’ve been doing it for 15 years, and I still can’t walk around without somebody asking for a picture or an autograph or just saying what’s up,” he said in an interview with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “Maybe at some point I’ll get that feeling of wanting to compete again, but right now I’m pretty satisfied with what I’m doing with my children. My kids are my No. 1. My family, when I grew up, there was nothing there. I’m going to make sure my kids are No. 1.”

But this week, the 38-year-old ex-champ gave strong impressions that he is prepared to play the field in a comeback to the UFC or its chief rival. A quickly deleted message even featured Ortiz at the steps of Bellator’s office in Southern California, which is a short drive from Ortiz’s longtime residence in Huntington Beach.

“Nice 2be a free agent,” Ortiz wrote on Twitter. “Need 2make a big decision 4my future 4my kids future. Nice 2 have a great surrounding and 2be healthy.#Positive 7yrs.”

With a history of flirtations with promotions other than the UFC, including a very close brush with the now-defunct EliteXC, Ortiz’s messages largely have been met with skepticism.

And yet with his body apparently on the mend after multiple neck and knee surgeries, the fighter is getting back into the type of shape that could make fighting possible. Among his tweets was a shirtless self-portrait that showed he isn’t exactly “The Huntington Beach Flab Boy.”

“I’m just trying to get my physical being back together,” Ortiz said in May. “It’s been a long road of recovery. I started training a little bit, just lifting some weights to try and get my body back in shape.”

Ortiz acknowledged the tug of competition looking from the outside in.

“You just see how good the talent is getting,” he said. “Guys are getting so much better, and you can see how great the sport has become.”

A return undoubtedly would bring attention to whatever promotion wants to employ Ortiz, who’s a consummate promoter with more name recognition than some of the sport’s current top fighters. Now, it’s just a matter of whether he’s serious about reigniting his career.

Comments

Commission Rep Says Conor McGregor Assaulted Referee, is in Talks With UFC Officials

The commission representative overseeing Bellator 187 on Friday classified Conor McGregor's actions as "assault," and is in talks with the UFC. read news >>

Conor McGregor Video Surfaces Continuing His Tirade Outside Bellator 187 Arena | MMAWeekly.com

After Conor McGregor was ejected from 3Arena in Ireland, he continued on with his tirade against referee Marc Goddard. read news >>

Emelianenko vs. Mir in Bellator tourney opener? Matchups not determined, official says

Frank Mir claims he’s fighting Fedor Emelianenko in the opening round of the Bellator MMA World Grand Prix 2018, but company officials said matchups aren’t set.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 187 highlights: Charlie Ward's TKO set off a Conor McGregor fiasco

Conor McGregor provided the most buzz-worthy moment on Friday at Bellator 187, but the actual sanctioned fighting had some highlights, as well.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 187 post-event facts: A.J. McKee sets record with 10th consecutive Bellator win

Check out all the facts, figures and footnotes from Bellator 187, which took place Friday in 3Arena in Dublin.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Injury forces champ Patricio Freire out of Bellator 188; Lahat vs. Labiano new headliner

Patricio Freire said he’d been working around multiple injuries to make Thursday’s headliner – until last week, when one proved too serious.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 187 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from Bellator 187 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Dustin Poirier Sees His Path to UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Dustin Poirier talks about his third-round finish of former champion Anthony Pettis following UFC Fight Night 120 on Saturday. read news >>

Chael Sonnen: Conor McGregor Pissed Off the Wrong Official | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen weighs in on Conor McGregor's transgressions at Bellator 187 and how it might be more serious than it is entertainment. read news >>

Bellator 187 Fight Highlights from AJ McKee's Hard-Fought Victory in Dublin | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the full event highlights from Bellator 187, where rising star AJ McKee battled through one of the toughest fights of his career in Dublin, Ireland. read news >>