tito-ortiz-23.jpgHave Tito Ortiz‘s comeback flirtations ended, or just hit a brief pause?

Just one day after getting the media all atwitter about returning to the cage, possibly to fight in Bellator, the UFC Hall of Famer’s message today was: “Don’t count your chickens before they hatch! Damn time to look else where. #Positive.”

Of course, Ortiz could just as easily be talking about a lottery ticket as a fight contract. But still, his recent messages are something of a departure from his role as a retired champ turned manager.

In May, Ortiz gave the impression that family was far more important than a return to the octagon, where he left the sport in July 2012 with a 16-11-1 record.

“As far as the glory, I don’t miss any of that stuff at all I’ve been doing it for 15 years, and I still can’t walk around without somebody asking for a picture or an autograph or just saying what’s up,” he said in an interview with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “Maybe at some point I’ll get that feeling of wanting to compete again, but right now I’m pretty satisfied with what I’m doing with my children. My kids are my No. 1. My family, when I grew up, there was nothing there. I’m going to make sure my kids are No. 1.”

But this week, the 38-year-old ex-champ gave strong impressions that he is prepared to play the field in a comeback to the UFC or its chief rival. A quickly deleted message even featured Ortiz at the steps of Bellator’s office in Southern California, which is a short drive from Ortiz’s longtime residence in Huntington Beach.

“Nice 2be a free agent,” Ortiz wrote on Twitter. “Need 2make a big decision 4my future 4my kids future. Nice 2 have a great surrounding and 2be healthy.#Positive 7yrs.”

With a history of flirtations with promotions other than the UFC, including a very close brush with the now-defunct EliteXC, Ortiz’s messages largely have been met with skepticism.

And yet with his body apparently on the mend after multiple neck and knee surgeries, the fighter is getting back into the type of shape that could make fighting possible. Among his tweets was a shirtless self-portrait that showed he isn’t exactly “The Huntington Beach Flab Boy.”

“I’m just trying to get my physical being back together,” Ortiz said in May. “It’s been a long road of recovery. I started training a little bit, just lifting some weights to try and get my body back in shape.”

Ortiz acknowledged the tug of competition looking from the outside in.

“You just see how good the talent is getting,” he said. “Guys are getting so much better, and you can see how great the sport has become.”

A return undoubtedly would bring attention to whatever promotion wants to employ Ortiz, who’s a consummate promoter with more name recognition than some of the sport’s current top fighters. Now, it’s just a matter of whether he’s serious about reigniting his career.

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2370 with Bellator 170's Tito Ortiz, Eric Nicksick

Stream or download Wednesday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Tito Ortiz and Eric Nicksick.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio read news >>

Bellator in Talks with Former UFC Broadcaster Mike Goldberg | MMAWeekly.com

Longtime UFC broadcaster Mike Goldberg was recently released by the promotion, but could become the latest UFC free agent to come to terms with Bellator. read news >>

Matt Mitrione: 'Fighting Fedor Just Another Day in the Office' (Bellator 172 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Matt Mitrione talks about his Bellator 172 main event bout against the great Fedor Emelianenko and says it's just another day in the office. read news >>

Scott Coker Recounts Chael Sonnen and Tito Ortiz Offering to Fight Fedor (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator president Scott Coker recounts how Chael Sonnen and Tito Ortiz offered to step up and fight Fedor with just a few hours to go until fight time. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Nate Marquardt talks staving off retirement, fighting former training partner in Alvey

DENVER – It wasn’t that long ago that Nate Marquardt was ready to hang up his gloves and move on to something else. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Hints at Upcoming UFC Title Defense | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC has some upcoming fight cards to fill, and it appears one of them is going to feature strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk's return to the Octagon. read news >>

5 reasons to watch Bellator 171 with headliners Guillard, Njokuani heading in opposite directions

Last week’s Bellator 170 fight card earned fantastic ratings for the promotion. The question now becomes how many of those viewers were convinced to stick with the promotion for Friday’s Bellator 171 read news >>

Tito Ortiz Comments on Claims of Chael Sonnen Fight Being Fixed in TMZ Exclusive

Tito Ortiz has refuted speculation that his fight with Chael Sonnen at Bellator 170 was fixed, telling those who doubt him to stop by his gym so he can choke them out himself. The 42-year-old fought read news >>

What happens when you promise us Fedor, but deliver just regular old Bellator?

What was supposed to be a "tentpole" event for Bellator ended up looking like just another show after Fedor Emelianenko's bout with Matt Mitrione was scratched at the last minute. It might be nobody' read news >>

Fedor Emelianenko unsurprisingly chill about scrapped Bellator 172 headliner, says it was 'God's plan'

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Fedor Emelianenko was his usual stoic self addressing the last-minute cancellation of his Bellator debut after scheduled opponent Matt Mitrione fell ill.Filed under: Bellator, Feat read news >>