#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Cody Garbrandt #UFC 207

Roger Bowling Strikeforce

According to Strikeforce welterweight “Relentless” Roger Bowling, last year’s biggest lesson learned was patience. “I learned that no matter how good you feel going into a fight, you need to fight smarter, and not necessarily so hard.

“To pick your poison and take the fight where you’re going to have the best chances of winning; not just giving the fans what they want to see.”

Still, even with that foremost in his mind, when it came to his first fight of 2012 against Brandon Saling this past Saturday at Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey, Bowling found out that sometimes what we want and what actually happens are two separate things.

“I went out there and did exactly what I didn’t want to do,” he said. “I got into a brawl with him. It took me getting hit a couple times to make me realize where I needed to take the fight.

“All in all it was probably a C (grade) performance. It’s easy to pick yourself apart, but yeah, I did get the win and that’s what matters.”

Bowling explained to MMAWeekly.com that sometimes he gets caught up in his surroundings, which results in things going differently than anticipated.

“It’s easy to get off your game plan, especially in front of your hometown crowd,” he said. “You want to put on a great show for the fans.

“We knew he had a good chin going in and that he swung for the fences, so I got into more of a brawl than a technical fight like I’d planned.”

With back-to-back wins, Bowling sees himself right back in the welterweight mix in Strikeforce.

“I feel like I fit right in there with the top guys,” he said. “The division is still wide open, especially after (Tyrone) Woodley, (Bobby) Voelker or whoever fights for the title. I feel like I’m one or two fights away from a shot, and I’ll fight any of those guys.”

A title fight might not be far off. Bowling feels the steps he wants to take should bring that goal closer to reality in 2012.

“I want to broaden my horizons a little bit and go to different camps and work with different guys and get some different looks, and keep progressing and keep winning,” he said.

“I signed a new contract with Strikeforce, so that’s always a (step forward). I want to use (starting off with a win) as a forward push to set the pace for the rest of the year.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Michael Bisping Fires Back at 'Stupid' Luke Rockhold After Recent Comments | MMAWeekly.com

The war of words between Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold rages on. On Wednesday night, Rockhold claimed that Bisping's championship reign was "the worst in UFC history" while mocking the fact that read news >>

Scott Coker knows plenty about those comparisons to the UFC ahead of Bellator 183

Scott Coker knows a few things about having his promotion compared to the big guns at the UFC. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Yet-to-debut UFC signee Azamat Murzakanov notified of potential doping violation

For a man nicknamed “The Professional,” things aren’t looking quite that way at the moment.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC's Alexa Grasso undergoes knee surgery, still all smiles

UFC strawweight and perpetually upbeat Alexa Grasso is on the mend following a recent knee surgery.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Yokota Air Base personnel in Japan motivated by recent visit from UFC fighters

Take an inside look at the UFC’s recent visit to Yokota Air Base in Japan near Tokyo. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 live video chat with MMAjunkie Radio's 'Gorgeous' George and Goze (10/7, 10 p.m. ET)

MMAjunkie Radio hosts “Gorgeous” George and Goze will kick things off at the start of the pay-per-view to talk all things UFC 216 as it happens.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Donating All Profits from Vegas Strong T-Shirts | MMAWeekly.com

In the wake of the recent tragedy in Las Vegas, UFC has released special "Vegas Strong" t-shirts and is donating 100-percent of the profits. read news >>

Beneil Dariush Shocked How Dana White Handled Things After Las Vegas Tragedy | MMAWeekly.com

Beneil Dariush has worn his heart on his sleeve all week, but what caught him by surprise was how UFC president Dana White handled all the emotion. read news >>

After wild UFC 216 result, Bobby Green says judges aren't looking at right things

UFC lightweight veteran Bobby Green would rather hand off judging duties to his peers, biased as they might be, than those professionally tasked to score fights.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White Says WWE Didn't Want Brock Lesnar to Fight in UFC Under Contract

UFC President Dana White said on a recent episode of ESPN's Dan Le Batard Show that WWE would not allow Brock Lesnar to fight again in the UFC while under contract with WWE. During the interview (h/t read news >>