#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Cody Garbrandt #Michael Bisping #UFC 207

K.J. Noons (right) feels he did enough to win against Nick Diaz last October.| Photo: Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

K.J. Noons disagrees with the judges who awarded Nick Diaz a unanimous decision after their entertaining five-round Strikeforce bout last October.

“I didn’t even think I lost the fight,” Noons said recently on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “Only in opinion, right? In some people’s eyes. Nah, you know what? I guess the judges saw it wrong -- I mean, different, and you just have to get better. I’m moving back down to 155 [pounds], so I’m happy.”

Diaz defended his Strikeforce welterweight title with scores of 48-47, 49-47 and 49-46 in his favor. However, Noons believes he outstruck the champion.

“Let’s just take emotion and opinions out of it and put hard facts on the table,” Noons said. “Who won the fight by statistics? If you go by who did the more damage to the other person? Strikes landed?”

The initial CompuStrike stats on the fight did have Noons landing more strikes than Diaz, but the company corrected those figures, which it said were the result of a system glitch. The final CompuStrike numbers had Diaz landing more strikes. FightMetric also had Diaz with the advantage.

Noons, however, feels he won the fight three rounds to two. Diaz has since gone on to earn a UFC welterweight title shot against Georges St. Pierre in October, and Noons doesn’t begrudge him the opportunity.

“He won a couple more fights, so he definitely put himself in a position to be fighting for that,” Noons said. “That’s a fight people want to see. I’m just saying I felt like [our] fight was different. Am I going to cry about it now? No.”

Of course, Noons stopped Diaz the first time they met in November 2007. He said a third encounter is “probably” in the future, but for now he’s concentrating on Jorge Masvidal, whom he fights Saturday at Strikeforce “Overeem vs. Werdum.” With a win, Noons expects to get a shot at Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez.

“I think since Masvidal beat Billy [Evangelista], that was one of the top guys in Strikeforce,” Noons said. “From what I was told, this is a number-one contender fight. So whoever wins this gets a shot at Gilbert.”

Masvidal has split his last four fights, but Noons is complimentary of his game.

“I think he’s a great standup fighter,” Noons said. “I think he’s good all-around. I’m just training for everything, but I don’t know. We’ll see how the fight turns out when we get in there and mix it up. I think he’s pretty confident in his standup game. If he wanted to, he could stand up the whole time, but I think he’s going to mix it up and I’m ready for that. I’m actually ready to mix it up too.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:26:05).

Comments

Bellator 183's Paul Daley: Only Nick Diaz and Douglas Lima were men of their word

A lot of fighters talk a big game, but Paul Daley said only Nick Diaz and Douglas Lima walked the walk after talking the talk.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 results: Jessica Andrade beats up Claudia Gadelha in bloody battle

Claudia Gadelha only had lost to strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk before Friday. Then Jessica Andrade came into her life. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Roy Nelson's debut victory over Javy Ayala at Bellator 183

See how Twitter reacted to Roy Nelson’s unanimous decision victory in his Bellator debut at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

He missed weight and lost a title shot, but is there still hope for Bellator's Leandro Higo?

After a split-decision loss to champ Eduardo Dantas to kick off his Bellator run, Leandro Higo believes a win over Joe Taimanglo at Bellator 184 could help get him to another title shot.Filed under: read news >>

M-1's 'best knockouts ever' video delivers on its promise (with some vintage Fedor!)

Who doesn’t want to see five minutes of knockout highlights from the past two decades?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier names Volkan Oezdemir as next title challenger

Daniel Cormier is moving on from Jon Jones and lining up his next fight. Apparently, he’s cutting out the UFC’s matchmaking middlemen too.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Head-kick queen Sabina Mazo wants more experience in LFA before moving on to UFC

It’s not that LFA’s Sabina Mazo doesn’t want to be in the UFC. The flyweight just wants to make sure that, when it happens, she’s ready to make a difference.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, Radio Hi read news >>

Primus rematch? Sure, but Michael Chandler also eyes 170 with MacDonald and Daley

It’s not that Michael Chandler doesn’t want a chance to reclaim Bellator’s 155-pound title. But eyeing a quick turnaround and big fights in the welterweight division, it’s not his only option.Filed u read news >>

Bellator 183 winner Goiti Yamauchi on his speak-the-truth vision to become lightweight champ

Goiti Yamauchi doesn’t mind that he was dismissive of his opponent’s skills before Bellator 183. He spoke his truth, then proved it.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kevin Lee: Champ Conor McGregor has lost 3 of 4, got 'outwrestled' by 40-year-old boxer

UFC 216 headliner Kevin Lee is doing all he can to lure Conor McGregor into a UFC lightweight title-unification match.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>