#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Michael Bisping #Cody Garbrandt #Nunes vs. Rousey

Pat Healy - StrikeforceIt looked like 2012 was going to be the biggest year yet in the career of Pat “Bam Bam” Healy. Wins in five straight fights had him on the verge of a Strikeforce lightweight title shot, when things quickly fell apart.

Injuries to champ Gilbert Melendez lead to their September event being cancelled outright, and when a rescheduled fight for this January also dematerialized, Healy’s title hopes have been dashed.

“I can sum it up in one word: frustrating,” said Healy of the last several months.

“I worked really, really hard for that title shot and I felt I earned it the hard way by beating pretty much the guys who were coming up in Strikeforce and who were slated for title shots. It was really satisfying to do that, but to have things fall through twice was very disappointing.”

After things fell through with Melendez, Healy appeared to be on track to face former title contender Jorge Masvidal, but when that fight fell through, virtual unknown Kurt Holobaugh stepped in to accept the fight for this Saturday’s Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine event in Oklahoma City, Okla.

“With YouTube these days, I’ve seen all his fights, so I have a pretty good idea of what he’s going to try to do,” said Healy of Holobaugh. “I know some people that have trained with him, so I imagine they’re going to try to coach him on some things they think will be successful against me.

“Like any of my fights, I’m going to go in there and try to impose my will and not worry too much about what he’ll do. I’ll impose my will on him and make him fight my fight.”

With Strikeforce’s closure imminent, Healy was asked if this fight has any meaning or if it could impact his future with Zuffa and the UFC.

“I think it’s really a must-win for me,” said Healy. “I think my future kind of relies on it.

“I know they’ve given other people some guarantees, including the last four guys I’ve beat, with three coming directly off losses to me, but I’ve gotten no confirmation or guarantee what my future will hold, so I need to go out there and win.”

Having always been a fighter that’s had to work for everything he’s got, Healy doesn’t expect anything different as 2013 progresses.

“I really believe that I’m getting near the Top 10 lightweights in the world,” said Healy. “That’s my goal for 2013 is for me to break into that Top 10 and there be no doubt about it and be somebody that’s talked about in title contention.

“I don’t expect them to fast track me to anything. I plan on being in the UFC after this fight and I’m happy to start on the bottom and work my way up if necessary.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest Strikeforce: Marquardt vs. Saffiedine news and fight coverage.

Comments

Jussier Formiga Gets the Win by Constriction (UFC Japan Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Jussier Formiga's stellar submission victory over Ulka Sasaki at UFC Fight Night 117 on Friday in Japan. read news >>

UFC-Japan's Jessica Andrade motivated by failed title bid, aiming for KO of Claudia Gadelha

Rather than letting it deter her, Jessica Andrade says losing her stab at the strawweight title against champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 211 has given her added confidence moving forward.Filed under: read news >>

Watch Yushin Okami Take Out Evan Tanner with a Devastating Knee (UFC KO of the Week) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Yushin Okami's impressive knockout of former UFC middleweight champion Evan Tanner. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Has New Weapons for Rose Namajunas | MMAWeekly.com

UFC strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk promises some new weaponry when she faces Rose Namajunas. read news >>

Luke Rockhold Trashes Michael Bisping's Title Reign as 'the Worst in UFC History' | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold has never been a fan of Michael Bisping but it seems he likes him even less a year and a half into his middleweight title reign in the UFC. Of course, Rockhold has a reason to hold a gr read news >>

Episode No. 4 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 26: A New World Champion'

MMAjunkie recaps episode No. 4 of “The Ultimate Fighter 26,” which crowns the inaugural UFC women’s flyweight champion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch the First-Round Finish That Earned Geoff Neal A UFC Contract | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Geoff Neal and his powerful left hand in the fight that earned him a UFC contract. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 weigh-in results and live video stream (6 a.m. ET)

Check out the results and live video stream for the UFC Fight Night 117 early and official weigh-ins.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

If Garbrandt or Dillashaw Pulls Out of UFC 217, Dominick Cruz is Ready and Willing | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is willing to step in if champion Cody Garbrandt of TJ Dillashaw have to pull out of UFC 217. read news >>

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk hopes to break Ronda Rousey's record – 125 then possible

Although her focus is on UFC 217 opponent Rose Namajunas, champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk is still considering a move up to flyweight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>