#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #Rizin 7 #GSP #Pancrase #Kevin Lee

Murilo “Ninja” Rua will walk away from the sport at 31. | Photo: David Lethaby/Sherdog.com

With three simple but profound words, former EliteXC middleweight champion Murilo “Ninja” Rua embraced retirement from mixed martial arts.

“Life goes on,” he told Sherdog.com.

The decision no fighter wants to make came in wake of Rua’s third-round knockout loss to British Association of Mixed Martial Arts titleholder Tom Watson in the BAMMA 6 main event on Saturday at Wembley Arena in London. Beaten up for the better part of two and a half rounds, he was ultimately cut down by a head kick and follow-up punches from the surging British middleweight.

“I was already giving a lot of thought for a good while, along with my family and my manager, about the right time to quit, and my love for MMA always spoke louder, so I always wanted to try one more time,” Rua said. “The opportunity to try to win a belt like BAMMA’s lightened up the will to close my career well, but time goes on for everybody. I have been on this road for a long time, and I already went into this fight with my mind set that I would stop either after this fight or after the next.

“I tried to do the best possible training,” he added. “I went to the United States, went to Sao Paulo, and with the outcome of the fight, we have to be objective and accept things.”

The older brother of 2005 Pride Fighting Championships middleweight grand prix winner and former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, Ninja made his professional debut under the Meca World Vale Tudo banner in May 2000 and remained unbeaten until his Pride 17 encounter with two-time Olympian Dan Henderson ended in a split decision defeat. He competed in three weight classes -- middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight -- during his 11-year career, earning notable wins over Mario Sperry, Akira Shoji and Joey Villasenor.

Rua’s career also included high-profile defeats to onetime UFC light heavyweight king Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, two-time Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championships gold medalist Ricardo Arona, former UFC heavyweight titleholder Kevin Randleman, Russian heavyweight Sergei Kharitonov and American Top Team’s Denis Kang.

“I always fought against the best, never picked opponents,” he said. “I’m proud of having always fought at a high level at big shows, so I’d rather leave this way than let things go downhill.”

At 31, Rua plans to keep his finger on the pulse of the sport.

“I realized talking to those around me -- my family and my manager, who is, in reality, my friend before anything else -- that I don’t need to drop MMA just because I stop fighting,” he said. “I can still work with what I love. Now it’s time to take care of my kids, enjoy life with my wife and keep bringing MMA to the world with my seminars, classes and fighters.”

Comments

Michael Bisping Might Retire After Fighting Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is considering retirement after he fights Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

If Michael Bisping really does retire after GSP fight, how will we remember him?

Michael Bisping teased a possible retirement after his fight with Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217. But if his title reign and career both end without even an attempted defense against a middleweight con read news >>

Darren Till unloads on Brendan Schaub for criticizing UFC headliner vs. Donald Cerrone

Darren Till has choice words for those who question his UFC Fight Night 118 headliner against Donald Cerrone, especially Brendan Schaub.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Cris Cyborg Chases Training Partner Out of the Gym in Comically Insane Workout Video | MMAWeekly.com

There really are no words for this video of Cris Cyborg beating the daylights out of her training partner and chasing him out of the gym! read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping's ideal scenario could delay retirement past GSP fight

Michael Bisping (sort of) walks back his comments on his last fight potentially being at UFC 217 against Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping Fires Back at 'Stupid' Luke Rockhold After Recent Comments | MMAWeekly.com

The war of words between Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold rages on. On Wednesday night, Rockhold claimed that Bisping's championship reign was "the worst in UFC history" while mocking the fact that read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3: The Only Fight to Make

Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz? In the words of Diaz, I'm not surprised. This is destiny, or at least something like it. I've long written that McGregor would never return to the Octagon after his Mayw read news >>

ONE Championship's November lineup? Open-weight fight, champ-vs.champ, retirement title bout

By all measures, November could be the biggest month for ONE Championship, which boasts a handful of can’t-miss fights.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

If Chuck Liddell ends retirement, he says Chael Sonnen would be easy warmup fight

Chuck Liddell is still retired, but if he does come back, the UFC Hall of Famer likes the idea of fighting Chael Sonnen.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee in Expletive-Filled War of Words on UFC 216 Media Call | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee's expletive-filled tirades dominated Thursday's UFC 216 media call. read news >>