Murilo “Ninja” Rua will walk away from the sport at 31. | Photo: David Lethaby/Sherdog.com

With three simple but profound words, former EliteXC middleweight champion Murilo “Ninja” Rua embraced retirement from mixed martial arts.

“Life goes on,” he told Sherdog.com.

The decision no fighter wants to make came in wake of Rua’s third-round knockout loss to British Association of Mixed Martial Arts titleholder Tom Watson in the BAMMA 6 main event on Saturday at Wembley Arena in London. Beaten up for the better part of two and a half rounds, he was ultimately cut down by a head kick and follow-up punches from the surging British middleweight.

“I was already giving a lot of thought for a good while, along with my family and my manager, about the right time to quit, and my love for MMA always spoke louder, so I always wanted to try one more time,” Rua said. “The opportunity to try to win a belt like BAMMA’s lightened up the will to close my career well, but time goes on for everybody. I have been on this road for a long time, and I already went into this fight with my mind set that I would stop either after this fight or after the next.

“I tried to do the best possible training,” he added. “I went to the United States, went to Sao Paulo, and with the outcome of the fight, we have to be objective and accept things.”

The older brother of 2005 Pride Fighting Championships middleweight grand prix winner and former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, Ninja made his professional debut under the Meca World Vale Tudo banner in May 2000 and remained unbeaten until his Pride 17 encounter with two-time Olympian Dan Henderson ended in a split decision defeat. He competed in three weight classes -- middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight -- during his 11-year career, earning notable wins over Mario Sperry, Akira Shoji and Joey Villasenor.

Rua’s career also included high-profile defeats to onetime UFC light heavyweight king Quinton “Rampage” Jackson, two-time Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championships gold medalist Ricardo Arona, former UFC heavyweight titleholder Kevin Randleman, Russian heavyweight Sergei Kharitonov and American Top Team’s Denis Kang.

“I always fought against the best, never picked opponents,” he said. “I’m proud of having always fought at a high level at big shows, so I’d rather leave this way than let things go downhill.”

At 31, Rua plans to keep his finger on the pulse of the sport.

“I realized talking to those around me -- my family and my manager, who is, in reality, my friend before anything else -- that I don’t need to drop MMA just because I stop fighting,” he said. “I can still work with what I love. Now it’s time to take care of my kids, enjoy life with my wife and keep bringing MMA to the world with my seminars, classes and fighters.”

Tito Ortiz and Dana White Buried the Hatchet Following Retirement Bout | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz and UFC president Dana White have had an up-and-down relationship, but buried that hatchet on Saturday. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Valentina Shevchenko: 'Every time I look at actions – words mean nothing'

Not too long ago, Valentina Shevchenko’s climb up the UFC women’s bantamweight ladder hit a snag.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Nate Marquardt talks staving off retirement, fighting former training partner in Alvey

DENVER – It wasn’t that long ago that Nate Marquardt was ready to hang up his gloves and move on to something else. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105's Johny Hendricks now serious about retirement talk if 185 doesn't work out

Johny Hendricks has talked about the possibility of retirement before. It came recently, in fact.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Citing brain scan abnormality, UFC women's strawweight Aisling Daly announces retirement

Citing an abnormality that showed up on a recent brain scan, UFC women’s strawweight Aisling Daly today announced her retirement from MMA. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Amanda Nunes offers apology to Ronda Rousey for post-fight UFC 207 comments

Amanda Nunes didn’t mince many words after she tore through Ronda Rousey in December to defend the UFC women’s bantamweight title. But now she’s walking some of them back a little.Filed under: News, read news >>

Knockout Radio LIVE: Tim Boetsch, Jarred Brooks & Ronda Rousey's Retirement | MMAWeekly.com

Tune in Wednesday at 3:30 pm ET, for Knockout Radio LIVE! Tim Boetsch and Jarred Brooks join the show, and the crew talks about Ronda Rousey's career situation. read news >>

Medical Issue Forces UFC Fighter Aisling Daly to Announce Retirement | MMAWeekly.com

Aisling Daly hasn't fought since October of 2015, and she won't be fighting again any time soon. read news >>

Knockout Radio Podcast: Tim Boetsch, Jarred Brooks & Ronda Rousey's Retirement | MMAWeekly.com

Join Knockout Radio for their podcast as Randy Harris and the crew welcome Tim Boetsch and Jarred Brooks to the show and talk about Ronda Rousey's career. read news >>

UFC's James Moontasri, 28, announces MMA retirement

Nine years after his pro MMA debut, 28-year-old James Moontasri has called it quits on his fighting career.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>