#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 117 #Gokhan Saki #UFC Fight Night 83 #Nate Diaz #Jon Jones #Jessica Andrade #Luke Rockhold #Claudia Gadelha #Saint Preux #David Branch

Nick NewellWhile the first half of 2013 was at times chaotic for lightweight up-and-comer “Notorious” Nick Newell, he’s looking to finish the year strong.

Following an acrimonious split with the XFC, where he was their reigning 155-pound champion, Newell signed with the World Series of Fighting, and after an eight-month layoff, he’s ready to return to the fight game.

“Staying in the gym is the best way for me to deal with anything that comes my way,” said Newell. “I made a move that was best for my career and I’m happy I made it.

“I don’t really let outside factors affect how I fight. I have great coaches and a great team and I’m going to be ready no matter what. Some things happened that I didn’t really like, so I did my best to not let it get to my head.”

Newell told MMAWeekly.com that he feels like he used his time off well and has become a much-improved fighter over the last several months.

“The thing is, my last fight (against Eric Reynolds in December) was kind of short, so you couldn’t get much of my game,” said Newell. “But basically, I’ve gotten better and have improved my striking and grappling. I’ve just gotten more comfortable and better at putting everything together.”

When Newell makes his promotional debut at WSOF 4 on the NBC Sports Network on Aug. 10 from Ontario, Calif., he will be facing fellow top prospect and fellow newcomer Keon “Black Assassin” Caldwell.

“He’s a finisher and finishes a lot in the first round like me, so I’m expecting a strong start and a lot of fireworks,” Newell said of Caldwell.

“I see some openings and mistakes he makes that I can capitalize on. Of course, everyone thinks I have an advantage on the ground, but it looks like he’s pretty good on the ground too. I think the key is mixing things up and not let him know if I’m going to strike, wrestle or grapple. If I keep him on his toes, I think that’s what will win me the fight.”

If there’s one bout to watch on Aug. 10, Newell thinks it’s his fight with Caldwell because of the explosiveness of both fighters.

“You’ve got two guys that don’t really know the judges too well and come out with guns blazing, so it could be Fight of the Night,” he said. “I guarantee you it will be something of the night – Submission of the Night, Knockout of the Night – it’s going to be something you’ll remember.”

Now that he’s settled in with the WSOF, Newell is looking to get back to the business of proving himself to be one of the top young lightweights in the world.

“I have a four-fight contract with them, and I wouldn’t mind getting in all four fights within a year,” he said. “I want to stay active.

“I’m 27 now and I feel great. I’m a couple years from my prime, and I have a lot of improvement to do, but I feel like I’m up there, can compete with anyone, and just want to test myself.”

Comments

VanZant Puts Weight-Cutting Struggle Behind Her In Move to 125

Paige VanZant is making her debut at flyweight at UFC 216 after dealing with weigh cutting issues for her last few fights. Rejuvenated, PVZ looks to make a statement when she takes on former bantamwe read news >>

Despite another long layoff, Siyar Bahadurzada staying positive at UFC Fight Night 115

Despite another long layoff, this time for a year and a half, Siyar Bahadurzada is ready to crush his goals at UFC Fight Night 115.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

DJ plans to finish Borg on Saturday

Thursday at open workouts Demetrious Johnson spoke about his five-round championship conditioning. Johnson puts his belt on the line again when he takes on Ray Borg at UFC 215 on Saturday for the fly read news >>

UFC 215: Resurgent Rafael dos Anjos Puts Welterweight Division on Notice

After 2016 saw him drop his lightweight title and be summarily written out of the 155-pound title picture by back-to-back losses, Rafael dos Anjos looks reborn at welterweight. That was the takeaway read news >>

UFC exec Dave Shaw: Edmonton return planned despite commission controversy

Despite its controversial commission, the UFC intends to return Edmonton in the future after a successful debut with UFC 215. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Hurricane Irma on UFC 215 winner Ilir Latifi's mind: 'Half of my team, my trainers have families in Miami'

Ilir Latifi is not oblivious to sacrifices made by his team to be by his side while their Miami homes were threatened: “You feel bad for them. They’re over here, and they’re watching the news all the read news >>

Sarah 'Cheesecake' Moras Dislocates Opponent's Elbow with UFC 215 Armbar

While the relative controversy of the Amanda Nunes-Valentina Shevchenko women's bantamweight title headliner for UFC 215 has taken up much of the attention since Saturday night, an outrageous event i read news >>

Ex-WSOF title challenger Nick Newell returns from retirement, signs multi-fight deal with LFA

Nearly two years after surprising the MMA world with a sudden retirement after a win at WSOF 24, ex-title challenger Nick Newell is back.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Nick Newell, Former WSOF Title Challenger, Returns from Retirement | MMAWeekly.com

Former World Series of Fighting lightweight championship challenger Nick Newell has ended a two-year retirement to return to the cage. read news >>

Tony Martin Looking to Crack the Lightweight Rankings at UFC Pittsburgh | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Martin puts his winning streak on the line against Olivier Aubin-Mercier in a 155-pound bout at UFC Fight Night 116 on Saturday. read news >>