GOIANIA, Brazil – Nick Diaz isn’t quite ready to return to the cage, according to UFC President Dana White.
The UFC boss said he offered the former Strikeforce welterweight champion a fight as recently as last week, but Diaz’s manager said his client would prefer to remain inactive.
“I talked to his manager last week,” White told MMAjunkie.com. “He is retired. … I was going to offer him I fight.”
White revealed his intentions while addressing a small group of reporters following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 32 event in Goiania, Goias, Brazil.
Diaz fought most recently in March, when he lost a unanimous decision to Georges St-Pierre in a failed bid for the UFC welterweight title. Citing his frustration with the sport of MMA, Diaz promptly announced his retirement. However, he’s since been connected to a number of potential fights – including, most recently, a rumored fight with Michael Bisping.
White played coy when asked what opponent was on the table for Diaz.
“I don’t remember,” White said with a smile.
Diaz recently told Fighters Only he would be open to the idea of staging a comeback if certain criteria were met, including a substantial pay-per-view bonus in his contract.
“Well, we could negotiate,” Diaz told Fighters Only. “I am a pretty big draw. So we would have to negotiate a pretty decent amount of pay and a pretty decent amount from the pay-per-view. I’m talking like three to five dollars (per PPV unit sold), the same as these other important fighters are getting because I am out there putting on a show.”
Apparently, those demands were not addressed, and Diaz will remain retired – at least for now.
(Pictured: Nick Diaz)view original article >>
Retired UFC welterweight competitor Cathal Pendred moved into acting after he left fighting behind and it didn't take long for him to land a leading role in a new series. Pendred stars in the upcomin read news >>
Conor McGregor may very well be plotting his return to the Octagon but reports that he's agreed to meet Nate Diaz at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 are premature. Several outlets began reporting over the weekend read news >>
UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby reveals plans were in motion for Ferguson vs. Nurmagomedov in November read news >>
Behind all the Twitter sparring between Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov, the UFC tried to book the pair a fourth time.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Las Vegas, Nevada is home to the UFC and many of the company's fighters. It's no surprise, then, that the promotion was rocked by the mass shooting on Sunday night that left at least 59 dead and over read news >>
Check out the UFC 216 Ultimate Media Day face-offs where UFC president Dana White was on guard, even though Tony Ferguson snuck it a little surprise. read news >>
The UFC is offering free tickets to Saturday's UFC 216 event in Las Vegas to first responders from last week's mass shooting in the city. UFC President Dana White told ESPN's Brett Okamoto about the read news >>
For UFC Dana White, not canceling UFC 216 was a very important move, not for his company, but for his city. read news >>
Prior to the start of Saturday's UFC 216 event at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, UFC President Dana White shared a video message about the mass shooting in the city on Oct. 1. Sports Illustrated's read news >>
Some folks complained about the stoppage in Gokhan Saki’s first-round KO at UFC Fight Night 117. UFC President Dana White was not one of them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>