Nick Diaz is very excited about his return to action in 2013, and he’s looking for the biggest fight possible.
Still serving out his one-year suspension after testing positive for marijuana following his last bout in 2012, the Stockton native is eyeing his return early next year when his ban is lifted in February.
Once licensed, Diaz is gunning for the biggest fights possible, and that includes settling a long standing rivalry with UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre or current top contender Johny Hendricks.
“Nick Diaz is a main event fighter,” Diaz’s manager and trainer Cesar Gracie told MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday. “He wants main event fights.”
In a perfect world according to Gracie, Diaz would return to the UFC and face St-Pierre right away with the UFC welterweight title on the line.
Diaz and St-Pierre have no love lost for each other, and both competitors still appear interested in settling the score inside the Octagon. Last weekend during St-Pierre’s return to action against Carlos Condit at UFC 154, Diaz tweeted that he was not impressed by the champion’s performance.
St-Pierre fired back during the post fight press conference by saying, “I did better than Nick did against Carlos (Condit”. St-Pierre defeated Condit by unanimous decision at UFC 154, while Diaz lost to Condit at UFC 142 last year.
As far as other names in the mix to face Diaz upon his return such as former welterweight title contender Josh Koscheck, Gracie keeps it simple and says the Stockton bad boy wants main event fights, and whoever that happens to be, that’s who it will be.
Diaz will be eligible to re-apply for a fight license as of Feb 2, 2013 when his suspension is lifted by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
Excited to be in Japan against an opponent he requested in Ulka Sasaki, things may be looking up for Brazilian flyweight Jussier Formiga.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
A lot of fighters talk a big game, but Paul Daley said only Nick Diaz and Douglas Lima walked the walk after talking the talk.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>
Everything old is new again for Roy Nelson in his new Bellator home, where he says he’s finally excited about fighting again.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>
Excited about the Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz rubber match trilogy fight at UFC 219 in December? Dana White says you should pump the brakesFiled under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>
The UFC is targeting a do-over for Will Brooks and Nik Lentz at UFC Fight Night 121.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>