The Nevada Athletic Commission’s year-long suspension of UFC welterweight Nick Diaz remains in place after the fighter’s petition for review in Nevada District Court was dismissed on Friday.

Diaz was also fined 30 percent of his purse after his UFC 143 unanimous decision defeat to Carlos Condit when his post-fight drug screen came back positive for marijuana metabolites. The NAC’s ruling was handed down in May but applied retroactively to the Feb. 4 fight date.

A medical marijuana patient in his home state of California, Diaz did not list marijuana as a prescribed medication he was taking on his pre-fight questionnaire, an issue that Diaz’s attorney and the NAC battled over before the commission took action. Diaz, who asserted he had stopped using marijuana eight days prior to the Condit fight, previously tested positive for marijuana following a 2007 victory over Takanori Gomi. The 29-year-old was suspended six months, and that win was changed to a no-contest.

Ross Goodman, Diaz’s Nevada attorney, released the following statement to Sherdog.com on Friday through Diaz’s legal adviser, Jonathan Tweedale:

“Despite expressing misgivings about the vagueness and ambiguity of the Nevada Athletic Commission’s prohibition on using marijuana ‘before’ a contest, the Nevada District Court today dismissed Nick Diaz’s petition for judicial review of the athletic commission’s disciplinary order made against him earlier this year.

“Judge [Joanna] Kishner was obviously troubled about due process concerns engendered by the vagueness of the anti-doping rule. How long before is ‘before’ under the regulation? A day? A week? Due process requires that fighters have clear notice of what the rule is, so they can adjust their behavior accordingly. Similar serious concerns relate to the commission’s after-the-fact definitions of undefined terms on the pre-fight questionnaire -- and punishing my client for failing to correctly guess how those terms would be defined.

“Frankly, if I had been filling out the questionnaire, I wouldn’t have thought that marijuana was a ‘prescription’ drug either -- given that it is illegal under federal law for doctors to ‘prescribe’ marijuana. As a matter of law, a ‘physician’s statement’ is not a prescription. I will be seeking my client’s instructions to file an appeal to the Nevada Supreme Court forthwith.”

Despite his loss to Condit, Diaz is rumored to be the No. 1 contender for Georges St. Pierre’s UFC welterweight crown, though the promotion has not made an official announcement. Prior to his contentious unanimous decision defeat, the southpaw had won 11 straight fights, capturing Strikeforce’s 170-pound title in 2010 before making his Octagon return last year against former two-division champ B.J. Penn. Diaz battered the smaller Penn in their UFC 137 bout, using his reach advantage to earn a unanimous verdict.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Nick Diaz Turned Down Rematch with Robbie Lawler | MMAWeekly.com

  • 25 days ago
  • 52 views

UFC president Dana White offered Nick Diaz a fight against former welterweight champion Robbie Lawler and Diaz turned down the fight. read news >>

UFC boss Dana White says Nate Diaz has fight offer – and Nick Diaz turned down a pair

  • 23 days ago
  • 60 views

HOUSTON – UFC President Dana White says he’s offered Nate Diaz a fight. Against whom, exactly, is anyone’s guess.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

The UFC Is Missing the Point in Trying to Book Nick Diaz

  • 21 days ago
  • 200 views

People love Nick Diaz. Sure, there might be a few detractors here and there, but that is largely a measurable objective fact. If you don't think so, consider that he's an athlete who has not been suc read news >>

Jacare Souza Believes Luke Rockhold is Avoiding Him, Remains Focused on the Belt (UFC 208 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

  • 18 days ago
  • 8 views

Jacare Souza believes Luke Rockhold is avoiding him and knows he has a tough fight with Tim Boetsch ahead, but he remains focused on a UFC title shot. read news >>

LFA 3 results: Trevin Giles stays unbeaten with split call over Ryan Spann, calls for UFC shot

  • 16 days ago
  • 3 views

Middleweight Trevin Giles remains unbeaten, but a meeting with Ryan Spann was a lot closer than he would have liked. Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Once almost 'worth zero' to Dana White, the appeal of Fedor Emelianenko endures

  • 9 days ago
  • 286 views

UFC President Dana White once warned Fedor Emelianenko and his team that the enigmatic Russian heavyweight was “one punch away from being worth zero.” Several losses and dismal showings later, our fa read news >>

Referees, judges selected for UFC 209's championship doubleheader

  • 12 days ago
  • 8 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today selected referees and judges for next month’s UFC 209 event during a Valentine’s Day meeting in Las Vegas. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Rafael dos Anjos considering Robbie Lawler, Nick Diaz for first welterweight fight

  • 10 days ago
  • 8 views

Rafael dos Anjos believes he’s earned the right to jump right into UFC title contention in the welterweight division.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ricardo Abreu Flagged for Second UFC Anti-Doping Violation While Already Suspended | MMAWeekly.com

  • 25 days ago
  • 5 views

UFC middleweight Ricardo Abreu, already serving a two-year suspension, has been notified of a second potential UFC Anti-Doping Policy Violation. read news >>

Tom Lawlor gets 2-year suspension from USADA for ostarine

  • 2 days ago
  • 4 views

UFC light heavyweight Tom Lawlor is suspended for two years following a positive test for ostarine, the promotion’s anti-doping partner USADA today confirmed.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>