#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #GSP #UFC Fight Night 120

Nick Diaz signed a three-fight extension with the UFC. | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Nick Diaz’s oft-rumored, eagerly-awaited return from retirement is finally a reality.

UFC President Dana White first brought word of Diaz’s comeback via Twitter on Thursday.

Shortly thereafter, the promotion revealed that the Stockton, Calif., resident signed a three-fight contract extension. Diaz has not fought since losing a five-round verdict to Georges St. Pierre in a welterweight title tilt at UFC 158 on Nov. 16, 2013.

"I've been doing a whole lot of not getting punched around-type stuff," Diaz told UFC.com. "I've been staying in shape pretty good, doing a lot of running. It's been a good experience having this much time off."

Diaz has been rumored as a potential opponent for Anderson Silva’s comeback from a broken leg. While nothing was announced on Thursday, a report from MMAFighting.com hinted that Silva-Diaz could take place on the UFC’s traditional Super Bowl weekend card in 2015.

White offered a different take on the tantalizing bout, although his statement would seem to align with a potential Super Bowl weekend booking.

"There is no update on Anderson vs Diaz," the UFC boss wrote on Twitter. "Anderson can't fight [until February]. Lorenzo and I have not even talked to Anderson."

Diaz, meanwhile, seemed open to a variety of possibilities.

“[I’d like to fight] next year I guess -- whatever though. I can fight tomorrow; tonight," he said. "You have to do what you have to do. ... [I came today] to sort things out with Dana White and Lorenzo [Fertitta].

"It was hard times for a little bit, but people act like I've been doing nothing. I've been getting some things done. Just because I'm not getting punched around every day doesn't mean I'm not focused on what I'm doing. Now, here we are."

A former Strikeforce titlist, Diaz returned to the Octagon after a nearly five-year hiatus with a unanimous decision triumph over B.J. Penn at UFC 137. In his next outing, he lost a highly-disputed decision against Carlos Condit for the interim welterweight strap at UFC 143. After his loss to St. Pierre, Diaz claimed he was “done with mixed martial arts.”

He made good on that promise for a while, even launching his own MMA promotion, the Stockton, Calif.-based War Mixed Martial Arts. However, demand for Diaz’s return was high, and the Cesar Gracie product started making media rounds at UFC events over the past few months.

Although he and the promotion were finally able to come to terms, one thing hasn’t changed: Diaz still wants to be involved in the biggest fights possible.

"I'd like to fight for the title," Diaz said. "I think that would be a big deal and worth fighting for. I want fights that will lead to a title fight. Whoever is in line and whoever has the title, that's who I'm going to be fighting,” he said.

"I'd be interested in fighting [Anderson Silva] and anything that's going to do well," he continued. "As far as Anderson Silva, I think that would be a great fight for people to see because he has my type of style."

Comments

Artem Lobov hints at retirement on Twitter following UFC-Gdansk loss to Andre Fili

Artem Lobov’s career appears to be in a state of flux following his loss to Andre Fili at UFC-Gdansk.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bellator signs Goiti Yamauchi to new long-term contract

Goiti Yamauchi is sticking with Bellator for the foreseeable future after signing a new long-term deal with the promotion.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Watch the TKO That Earned Allen Crowder a UFC Contract (Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Allen Crowder was the shorter man and was outweighed by over 20lbs, but that didn't stop him from putting on a fantastic performance and earning a UFC contract. read news >>

Benito Lopez' Display of Heart Earned Him a UFC Contract (Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Benito Lopez showed tremendous heart and perseverance to earn himself a UFC contract on Week 7 of Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series. read news >>

Lauren Mueller's Dominating Win That Led to UFC Contract (Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Lauren Mueller showcased all of her skills in a three-round dominant win to earn a UFC contract during Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series. read news >>

Western Australia gets its first UFC event with February pay-per-view card

The UFC’s long-awaited debut in Western Australia is finally official, with promotion execs announcing that UFC 221 will take place in Perth on Sunday, February 11.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping: Georges St-Pierre's comeback will be '1 and done'

UFC champ Michael Bisping responded to Georges St-Pierre’s retirement threats with a similar type of promise.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ex-UFC fighter Erik Perez signs with Combate Americas

Erik “Goyito” Perez is expected to make his debut with the first Hispanic-based promotion in January.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 pre-event facts: Matt Brown matches longtime record in retirement bout

Check out 80 facts, figures and footnotes about UFC Fight Night 120, which features Anthony Pettis vs. Dustin Poirier in the main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Matt Brown having second thoughts about retirement heading into UFC-Norfolk

Matt Brown is only a couple months removed from saying UFC Fight Night 120 against Diego Sanchez would be his final walk to the cage.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>