#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Jimi Manuwa #Jan Blachowicz #Paul Craig #Magomed Ankalaev #Leon Edwards #Peter Sobotta #Tom Duquesnoy #Terrion Ware #Charles Byrd #John Phillips #Oliver Enkamp #Danny Roberts

Newly vocal Evan Dunham explains Al Iaquinta callout, also interested in Beneil Dariush

After eight years saying yes to whatever the UFC offered, lightweight Evan Dunham is calling his own shots for a change.

Dunham, who’s currently self-managed and has no fights booked, is looking to ascend the rankings of the “jammed-up” 155-pound division led by champ Conor McGregor. And, riding a four-fight streak with names such as Joe Lauzon and Ross Pearson in the mix, Dunham believes he’s earned that opportunity.

That’s why, when the promotion threw some names he believed wouldn’t advance his career, Dunham decided to try something that seems to be working for some of his colleagues.

“I’ve always accepted what they gave me,” Dunham told MMAjunkie Radio. “And that’s part of the reason why I’m standing firm now. I’ve always said just, ‘Where do you want me? I’ll be there.’ But the way that the UFC is set up now, it’s really the squeaky wheel that gets the oil. If you’re out there saying what you want, and you want it, and you’re pointing it out, you’ve got a much better chance at getting it.

“I think if I didn’t ask for a fight above, I would look back and say, ‘Why the (expletive) didn’t I ask for a fight? Why did I just take what was given to me? Like that saying, ‘Close mouths don’t get fed?’ I need to speak up. Tell them what I want.”

While he hasn’t had this specific conversation with the matchmakers just yet, Dunham has made Twitter know – and in chart form, no less – exactly what is that he wants. And that’s fellow lightweight standout Al Iaquinta (via Twitter).

Currently ranked No. 15 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkieMMA lightweight rankings, Iaquinta’s name has certainly been popular a popular callout target since a UFC Fight Night 108 win over Diego Sanchez in April prompted yet another public falling out with the UFC brass.

While Iaquinta is riding a five-fight streak, he hadn’t fought in two years before the win over Sanchez. And he’s still not quite up there in the title contention line. So what is it about his name?

“He’s got some hype on his name because he keeps bitching and moaning about how much he’s getting paid,” Dunham said. “And I agree with Al Iaquinta that we are underpaid. Absolutely. But if you want to get paid more, there’s only solution. Either you need to, A: Not fight, not get paid at all.

“Or, B: You need to finish your contract, because you know what you signed when you got into it. Finish your contract, and renegotiate. That’s how it works. I think we’re underpaid absolutely, but you’re at a point where it’s kind of (expletive) or get off the pot.”

Dunham (18-6 MMA, 11-6 UFC) understands Iaquinta’s (13-3-1 MMA, 8-2 UFC) gripes and gets that it is in fact bringing him attention – even if it’s of the “weird” type. But, more than that, Dunham believes that a matchup between them simply makes sense.

“I get what Al is saying, a lot of the stuff I agree with him on,” Dunham said. “One of the reasons I came at him is because as you saw off the chart that I made, like I said in my comment to him, I’m your only option. And it’s true. It’s me and him at the top of that heap there, so if he wants to fight it’s kind of a no-brainer for him and I.”

While the pickings are slim, Iaquinta is still not Dunham’s only option. Another name he believes fits the bill, he says, is Beneil Dariush – who recently had a two-fight streak snapped by a second-round knockout loss to Edson Barboza.

“I think that would be a great fight,” Dunham said. “Because I know he’s a good jiu-jitsu guy, he hits hard, I think that’d be a real good fight. I know my standup game has been improving every single fight. My last few fights I feel more comfortable. I’m putting high numbers up there, volume over power.”

Another name in the title contention scene may arise from June 25’s UFC Fight Night 112, which features 155-pound standouts Michael Chiesa and Kevin Lee as headliners. But, if Dunham’s hunch is correct and Lee is the victor there, we can forget about that matchup.

“I (fought training partners) already – let other guys do it at this point,” Dunham said. “Now I run a really small camp, and Kevin is one of the guys that I can call up and ask for help from. That would be shooting myself in the foot, to fight Kevin.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go towww.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Al Iaquinta Fights

• 10 months ago

Beneil Dariush Fights

• a year ago

Derek Brunson explains Michael Bisping callout, isn't buying retirement fight

Derek Brunson doesn’t buy Michael Bisping’s reasoning for turning him down. read news >>

Alex Morono explains Diego Sanchez callout: 'How often do you get to fight your heroes?'

The MMA fan Alex Morono can’t help but continue to call out veterans after UFC Fight Night 126. read news >>

Roberto Sanchez's numbers game: Not interested in quitting day job after UFC-Austin

Roberto Sanchez didn’t know what it was like to lose a fight before he got to the UFC. read news >>

Michael Chiesa explains how he's reinvented himself for Anthony Pettis bout at UFC 223

Michael Chiesa expects fans to see a new version of him when he fights Anthony Pettis at UFC 223. read news >>

Newcomer Hernandez replaces Green in UFC 222 bout

With Bobby Green withdrawing from his UFC 222 bout against Beneil Dariush, the door was opened for Texas prospect Alexander "The Great" Hernandez to make his Octagon debut against the No. 11-ranked l read news >>

UFC on FOX 28's Sam Alvey explains the deal with 'Hey, Soul Sister' and defends Jar Jar Binks (seriously)

Sam Alvey talks about why he walks out to “Hey, Soul Sister” by Train and sticks up for much-maligned Star Wars character Jar Jar Binks. read news >>

Dana White: Nate Diaz 'Is Not Interested in Fighting' | MMAWeekly.com

Nate Diaz says he's ready to fight again but Dana White's not buying it. Just recently, Diaz dropped a message on Instagram teasing a possible return to action for the first time since 2016 while tar read news >>

Jeremy Stephens Explains Controversial Strikes During Fight with Josh Emmett at UFC on FOX 28 | MMAWeekly.com

Jeremy Stephens didn't get to celebrate his knockout win over Josh Emmett for long before hearing cries about some controversial strikes that were landed just before he earned the highlight reel fini read news >>

No excuse for weight miss, but Alex Perez lost entire day at airport before UFC on FOX 28 win

Alex Perez can explain what contributed to his weight miss for UFC on FOX 28, but not how particularly weird it ended up being. read news >>

Cris Cyborg Explains Why She Decided to Save the Day and Fight at UFC 222 | MMAWeekly.com

Cris Cyborg details the reasons behind stepping up on short notice to fill a main event slot at UFC 222 in Las Vegas read news >>

Yoel Romero explains kissing Luke Rockhold after UFC 221 win

Yoel Romero’s kiss seen round the world sparked conversation – and more than a few memes. read news >>

Evan Dunham vs. Mairbek Taisumov booked for UFC 223 in Brooklyn

The UFC’s return to Brooklyn in April is another step closer to complete with the addition of a new lightweight bout. read news >>

Frankie Edgar Needs His 'Spidey Senses' On Full Alert to Deal with Brian Ortega | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar explains what makes Brian Ortega such a dangerous opponent ahead of their matchup at UFC 222 in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 222's Adam Milstead explains reason for drop to 205, and it's a dieter's dream

If you’re on a diet and struggling to shed pounds, Adam Milstead’s problems probably seem like a blessing. read news >>

Alex Hernandez Scores Shocking Knockout Upset of Beneil Dariush (UFC 222 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Alex Hernandez's Octagon debut, where he knocked out Beneil Dariush at UFC 222 on Saturday in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 222 results: Alexander Hernandez KOs Beneil Dariush in big way – after sneaky opening

Alexander Hernandez will no doubt get a few questions about his opening few seconds against Beneil Dariush. read news >>

Search for: