#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Paul Daley #Ovince St. Preux #Lorenz Larkin #Gokhan Saki #Roy Nelson #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Javy Ayala

Demetrious Johnson thought he had done enough to become the UFC’s inaugural flyweight champion, but he couldn’t be sure.

Roughly a 2-to-1 underdog heading into his UFC 152 clash with Joseph Benavidez at Air Canada Centre in Toronto, “Mighty Mouse” edged Team Alpha Male product Benavidez in the evening’s co-headliner.

“You can never be confident [about the judges’ decision], but as the fight wore on, I felt I won the standup exchanges, and I defended every takedown he threw at me,” Johnson told Fox Sports after his split-decision win. “I took him down multiple times, had him in side control and almost had him in a kimura, and got some great ground-and-pound on his stomach. I felt I won every aspect of the game, but Joseph Benavidez is a tough opponent, and he’ll be back.”

Johnson used his well-documented speed to keep Benavidez on his toes throughout their five-round affair, darting in and out to land straight counter punches while sprawling on his opponent’s shots and circling away from his power punches.

Benavidez finally found his mark in round four, however, countering a Johnson kick with a looping right hand that put the Washingtonian on the canvas. Benavidez immediately jumped on top of his wounded foe and looked to finish, clamping down on a topside guillotine choke that appeared to put Johnson in serious trouble. Nevertheless, Johnson managed to squirt out of the hold, bucking Benavidez out of the mount before attempting a leg lock and escaping back to his feet.

“I can’t remember what happened. I remember I kicked, and I think he rocked me. All I can remember is my mind [saying], ‘Danger! Danger! Danger!’ You know, like [the video game] ‘Star Fox?’ Then he started getting that choke,” said Johnson. “I remember [coach Matt Hume] saying all the time that I needed to get my arm underneath him and make sure to pop him up. I stayed confident, and when he mounted, I went for a heel hook and tried to blow his ACL out. I didn’t want to do that, but I think that if he would have had the chance, he would have done it to me.”

Up next for Johnson will obviously be his first title defense, and the UFC’s lightest champion is already eying his next challenger only hours after capturing the gold.

John Dodson is about to fight [Jussier “Formiga” da Silva] next. I’m sure the winner of that [will be in the running for a title shot]. My job is just to go back home, let my body heal and then get back in the gym and start training hard,” said Johnson. “I started this sport as a hobby, and I worked my butt off. I’m happy to be the world champion, but this is just the very beginning for me. That’s what this is about: working harder and trying to always achieve more.”

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC 215 lineup set with 2 title fights in Edmonton, including Demetrious Johnson's quest for record

The lineup is set for the UFC’s return trip to Canada next month, including a pair of title fights at the top of the bill. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215: Demetrious Johnson vs Ray Borg Media Call (FULL Audio) | MMAWeekly.com

Listen in on the UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg media conference call featuring Demetrious Johnson, Ray Borg, Amanda Nunes, and Valentina Shevchenko. read news >>

UFC 215: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg Extended Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Take an extended preview into UFC 215, which features the flyweight title fight between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg and women's bantamweight title bout. read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson: Mayweather-McGregor hoopla can't take away from my history

Demetrious Johnson doesn’t care if his upcoming fight promotion has taken a backseat to Mayweather-McGregor.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson is fine being a target for others, but he has UFC history to make first

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson reflects on being called out by Cody Garbrandt and T.J. Dillashaw and the potential for future fights with them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215 Countdown: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg | MMAWeekly.com

On the verge of breaking Anderson Silva's record for title defenses, Demetrious Johnson and his longtime coach brace for a career-making moment. read news >>

Ray Borg says he'll easily make weight for UFC 215 title fight; Demetrious Johnson believes him

“I’ve corrected my mistakes,” Ray Borg says of his past weight-cut struggles.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

'UFC 215 Embedded,' No. 1: Champ Demetrious Johnson on grasshopper patrol

The UFC is back on pay-per-view, and the promotion has rolled out its “Embedded” treatment for a preview of Saturday’s UFC 215 event. Check out episode No. 1.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

'UFC 215 Embedded,' No. 2: Demetrious Johnson breaks down how to 'f*ck sh*t up'

Go behind the scenes of fight week with all four title fight competitors of UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Reebok didn't flub Demetrious Johnson's T-shirt; UFC champ plans on changing his nickname

It looked like the UFC’s official apparel partner flubbed again with Demetrious Johnson’s nickname. Not so, says “Mighty Mouse” (for now).Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UF read news >>