#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #Nik Lentz #Will Brooks #Georges St-Pierre

Benson Henderson captured the UFC lightweight title from Frankie Edgar in the main event of UFC 144 on Saturday night, busting up the former champion en route to a unanimous decision victory at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

Though Henderson (Pictured, file photo) may now reign over arguably the toughest division in the promotion, the new champion is taking the biggest win of his career in stride.

“It’s pretty cool. I enjoy it. I’m pretty tired. I had to take a lot of photos,” Henderson told Fox Sports following his title-winning performance. “[It’s been] a journey. I want to soak it up.”

Henderson’s victory did not come easily, as the notoriously resilient champion fought tooth-and-nail for 25 minutes in an effort to retain his title. Edgar tried to set the pace in the early going, finding a home for his jab. It was in round two, however, that the bout’s momentum swung in favor of the challenger.

Following an Edgar takedown, Henderson clipped the former champion with a perfectly-timed upkick, damaging Edgar’s nose as he attempted a haymaker. While the blow staggered Edgar, Henderson believes that the tide truly turned in the next frame.

“I wouldn’t say [I had him with the upkick],” Henderson recalled. “I would say in the third round [I did]. I was pumping my jab, and he flinched.”

Edgar and Henderson continued to scrap tit-for-tat through the championship rounds, but in the end, it was Henderson who had the gold strapped around his waist.

While Henderson now rules UFC lightweights, it was not so long ago that a bevy of questions surrounded the Arizonan following his WEC 53 loss to Anthony Pettis in December 2010. Four consecutive victories and one UFC title later, Henderson appears to have answered any doubters.

“I don’t begrudge anybody their opinions. I heard a few people [say], ‘Who is this Ben Henderson guy? Who does he think he is? He’s not Top 10 in the world,’” Henderson said. “Well, that was your opinion a year and a half ago, even less than that. I’m not mad at you for your opinion, but I think your opinion might be a little off.”

What will come next for the new champion is currently unknown. While many observers are pining for a rematch with Pettis -- the man who dethroned Henderson as World Extreme Cagefighting champion -- other feel that Edgar is deserving of another shot at the belt. As for Henderson, he welcomes either challenge.

“[Fighting Pettis or Edgar], it doesn’t really matter to me. I want to defend [my title] as many times as Anderson Silva defends his, plus one,” said Henderson. “Whoever it is, I’m OK with it. There is a long list of guys: Nate [Diaz], Jim [Miller], Frankie, Anthony. Let’s do every single one of them.”

Galleries

Frankie Edgar Fights

• a year ago
  • 1962 views

Anthony Pettis Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Dustin Poirier Raising Money for Fallen Police Officer's Family at UFC Norfolk | MMAWeekly.com

Dustin Poirier is using his fight with Anthony Pettis at UFC Norfolk to raise funds for the family of a fallen police officer from his local community. read news >>

Conor McGregor Appears to Use Homophobic Slur at UFC Gdansk

Conor McGregor was captured on video using a homophobic slur backstage at UFC Fight Night 118 on Saturday evening in Gdansk, Poland. In a video posted to YouTube (warning: NSFW Language), McGregor ca read news >>

Countdown to UFC Norfolk: Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis (Full Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dustin Poirier and Anthony Pettis ready themselves for a pivotal main event that could position one of them to compete for the title in 2018. read news >>

'Countdown to UFC Fight Night 120' full episode with Anthony Pettis vs. Dustin Poirier

Did you miss the debut of “Countdown to UFC Fight Night 120,” or just want to watch it again? Check out the full episode now.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Frankie Edgar out of UFC 218 Main Event Title Fight with Max Holloway

Frankie Edgar's Cinderella Man storyline was one of the most interesting parts of the UFC 218 card. Unfortunately, the event will have to plug on without him with the news that Edgar has withdrawn fr read news >>

Frankie Edgar Out of UFC 218 Main Event Against Featherweight Champ Max Holloway | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 218 needs a new main event with Frankie Edgar injured read news >>

Reports: Frankie Edgar injured, off UFC 218 title fight vs. Max Holloway

Former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar has suffered an injury and will not be able to compete against Max Holloway at UFC 218.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Why fighting Dustin Poirier at UFC Fight Night 120 made sense to Anthony Pettis

Anthony Pettis gives Dustin Poirier credit for having a “complete fighting style” but feels the UFC-Norfolk headlining matchup suits him well.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Previews Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis UFC Norfolk Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier previews the UFC Fight Night Norfolk main event featuring lightweights Dustin Poirier and Anthony Pettis. read news >>

Who ya got?! Fighters weigh in on Anthony Pettis vs. Dustin Poirier at UFC-Norfolk

Who are fighters on Saturday’s UFC-Norfolk card picking in the main event between former champ Anthony Pettis and Dustin Poirier?Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>