MENU
#Conor McGregor #Dynasty of Heroes #Fight One #UFC 211 #Cat Zingano #Justin Buchholz #Ramsey Nijem #Julian Lane #Nate Diaz #Duane Ludwig #Diaz vs. McGregor 2 #Jon Jones #MMA KINGS #Angela Lee #Ben Askren


Nate Marquardt

Nate Marquardt

While the details about why Nate Marquardt was removed from Sunday’s UFC on Versus 4 card remain in the dark, the Colorado fighter and the UFC had known about the potential issue for the last six weeks.

Pennsylvania Athletic Commission executive director Greg Sirb revealed the information when speaking to MMAWeekly.com on Sunday.

According to Sirb, Marquardt and the UFC were notified that he had not met the necessary medical requirements as of six weeks ago. He was given up until an hour before weigh-ins on Saturday to resolve the situation, but he was never able to clear things up.

“Nate has known for probably about a month and a half. He knew the situation. It was no surprise. Everybody (including the UFC) knew. Everybody’s known. I think everybody assumed he was going to be able to qualify,” Sirb said.

“I thought he would (qualify); I really did.”

Because of strict medical privacy rules in the state of Pennsylvania the commission is unable to provide any details as to what Marquardt did not complete prior to the Saturday deadline.

“We’ve known about it and we gave him every opportunity. The last report we got was three o’clock (Saturday). We gave him as much leeway as we could. Obviously we’ve got a live event, you’ve got to make the call. The UFC made the call when we said no he’s not going to meet it,” Sirb commented.

“Pretty straight forward stuff. He had to meet these requirements and there were no and, if, or buts about it and unfortunately he did not.”

The executive director did say that while the commission is unable to say what Marquardt did or didn’t do, Marquardt is able to speak about it, but as of Sunday neither the fighter nor his management have made a statement.

“We can’t say anything. This state is real tight on those types of laws. HIPPA laws are very strict. If Nate’s here, I don’t know if he’s here or not, he’s free to talk,” Sirb stated.

Sirb admits that he felt bad for Marquardt not being able to fight. After the situation reached a boiling point on Saturday, UFC president Dana White released Marquardt from the promotion.

“I told him I felt for the kid. I really did. He knew about it, he was trying, and he missed out on a big payday,” Sirb said about Marquardt.

As far as the future fallout for Marquardt following Saturday’s events, he still has to satisfy the medical issues that kept him from competing on the card. He will be indefinitely suspended until he satisfies the commission’s requirements.

“He didn’t meet the requirements, the medicals anyway. He’s going to be put on suspension. When he meets those requirements, he’ll be taken off. How long the suspension is, is up to him,” Sirb said.

“He needs to show us a new report. If that report comes in and it meets our requirements, it could be tomorrow and we’ll take him off. It could be two months, but it’s an indefinite suspension until he brings in that report we’re looking for.”

Once Marquardt was out, Sirb said his replacement Charlie Brenneman was able to hop in with no issues because he had already completed all the necessary requirements. Brenneman was previously set to compete on the UFC on Versus 4 fight card until his opponent T.J. Grant fell of the card due to sickness.

Now the local fighter gets a chance to fight on his hometown card and face Rick Story in the co-main event of the evening.

“A bad situation, which is what it is, creates a Rocky story for Charlie Brenneman,” Sirb said.

MMAWeekly.com has made several attempts to reach Marquardt and his camp, but as of the time of publication they have not made a statement or returned any calls.


Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
Follow
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.


Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.


view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

CSAC denies Josh Thomson appeal to overturn Bellator 172 knockout loss to Patricky Freire

  • 10 days ago
  • 9 views

The California State Athletic Commission quickly denied Josh Thomson’s appeal to overturn a knockout loss to Patricky Freire at Bellator 172.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

California approves 10-point weight-cutting plan with big changes

  • 10 days ago
  • 101 views

The California State Athletic Commission has taken its most aggressive measure to date against extreme weight-cutting, today passing a 10-point plan to curb the practice while protecting fighters.Fil read news >>

LFA 12 video highlights: Michael Schiavello calls this guy 'violence personified'

  • 7 days ago
  • 7 views

“Violence personified,” huh? “So athletic, so physically imposing,” you say? When those are the superlatives thrown out by Michael Schiavello and Pat Miletich, you know it was something special.Filed read news >>

Cris Cyborg Issues Lengthy Statement Following Altercation with Angela Magana | MMAWeekly.com

  • 4 days ago
  • 36 views

Cris Cyborg was cited with a misdemeanor battery charge following a physical altercation with Angela Magana. Cyborg has since issued a lengthy statement. read news >>

Angela Magana issues challenge to 'Cyborg' Justino as alleged punch incident investigated

  • 3 days ago
  • 60 views

UFC women’s bantamweight Angela Magana wants to fight Cristiane Justino – at least on the mat.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Nate Marquardt Crushes CB Dollaway: UFC KO of the Week Video | MMAWeekly.com

  • 10 days ago
  • 21 views

Watch Nate Marquardt defeat C.B. Dollaway during their bout in December of 2015. Don't miss Marquardt take on Vitor Belfort at UFC 212. read news >>

Manager shoots down Germaine de Randamie retirement rumor, says personal issues exist

  • 28 days ago
  • 17 views

UFC women’s featherweight champ Germaine de Randamie isn’t retiring, according to her manager, but she is dealing with some issues behind the scenes.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'Jacare' Souza opts for surgery, recovery timetable not immediately clear

  • 28 days ago
  • 36 views

Following a disappointing TKO loss to Robert Whittaker earlier this month, UFC middleweight contender Ronaldo Souza opted for surgery and will be on the shelf for the next few months.Filed under: New read news >>

Vitor Belfort Reportedly Facing Nate Marquardt at UFC 212 | MMAWeekly.com

  • 27 days ago
  • 8 views

Vitor Belfort is expected to face Nate Marquardt at UFC 212 in what may be the final fight of his career. read news >>