#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Kristina Williams #Bellator MMA #Heather Hardy #Conor McGregor #Neiman Gracie #Zak Bucia #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #GSP

Justin Gaethje

Justin Gaethje

With highlight reel slams and a pedigree that includes three state championships and All-American status as a collegiate wrestler, expectations are high for Colorado lightweight Justin Gaethje.

“It feels real good,” said Gaethje. “It gives me inspiration to work hard and hopefully live up to the potential that they put up there.”

In eight total fights, Gaethje is undefeated, including a 61-second destruction of Kevin Croom at Ring of Fire 41 on Aug. 20.

The transition to successful MMA fighter from wrestler has been something Gaethje has been looking forward to as he finishes up his career at the University of Northern Colorado this year.

“I kind of look at MMA as a different sport; I have new goals that I want to do with that,” he said. “I wrestled for such a long time that I’m ready to move on to different things.

“I’ve been working on my boxing down at the Grudge (Training Center) and am trying to become an all-around fighter and take the fight wherever it goes.”

Working with the likes of UFC veterans Nate Marquardt, Duane “Bang” Ludwig, and Eliot Marshall, Gaethje has had no choice but quickly adapt or be left behind with the level of talent at Grudge.

“They don’t mess around down there,” said Gaethje. “They get after it, and if I’m not at the top of my game, they make me pay for it there.”

Justin Gaethje

Justin Gaethje

One area that’s understandably been the hardest for Gaethje to adapt to in MMA is the stand-up game.

“It’s actually really hard transitioning from wrestling to boxing because the stances are so much different and you have to keep your weight distributed differently,” he said. “It’s just really hard to get used to, and that’s my biggest problem.”

Still, Gaethje’s background allows him to get out of trouble when needed.

“I feel that my wrestling really helps me control a lot of positions,” he said. “Even when I’m not comfortable on my feet, I can get to the clinch and at least get comfortable enough to control the fight there.

“A lot of guys who have never worked the clinch don’t really know what to do with their hips. Being a wrestler, I just like to throw people.”

With an upcoming fight in October, and a return invitation to participate in Ring of Fire’s year end show, Gaethje is on the fast track towards big things, and he doesn’t plan on backing down any time soon.

“I just want to keep fighting and hopefully knocking people out,” he said. “I just love competing and whatever comes, comes. It doesn’t matter who they want me to fight, I’m always ready to fight and I’m you’re never going to get a dull fight from me.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Galleries

Justin Gaethje Fights

• 3 months ago

Comments

UFC champ Daniel Cormier names Volkan Oezdemir as next title challenger

Daniel Cormier is moving on from Jon Jones and lining up his next fight. Apparently, he’s cutting out the UFC’s matchmaking middlemen too.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Could the NFL Kneeling Conundrum Spill Over into the UFC? | MMAWeekly.com

EDITORIAL – A basic in life I always heard was "don't talk about religion and politics." Now, I don't personally subscribe to that point of view (perhaps I should), but I do think that entertainment read news >>

Conor McGregor Teases His UFC Return, Names Several Possible Opponents | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is nearly ready to resume his UFC career but he's still undecided on who he will face when he steps back inside the Octagon. The reigning UFC lightweight champion took part in a Q&A in read news >>

Threats of broken legs, retirement? Justin Gaethje latest to beef with Tony Ferguson

Justin Gaethje is the latest to land on Tony Ferguson’s radar ahead of the latter’s interim UFC lightweight title fight at UFC 216.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

The latest 'UFC Unfiltered' podcast features an epic troll of Matt Serra that simply must be heard

Matt Serra is no stranger to offering a bit of comic relief to the twice-weekly “UFC Unfiltered.” This time, it was just a little more unintentional than normal.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UF read news >>

Eddie Alvarez vs. Justin Gaethje Expected at UFC 218 in Detroit | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 218 in Detroit just landed a potential 'Fight of the Year' candidate. Following a season coaching opposite of each other on "The Ultimate Fighter", former UFC lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez i read news >>

Coach Mark Henry says Eddie Alvarez fighting Justin Gaethje at UFC 218 in Detroit

The UFC’s long-awaited return to Detroit is shaping up to be a big card, and now it appears a pair of former champs will grace the lineup.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Fires Back at Volkan Oezdemir Over Two Minute Warning | MMAWeekly.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is still awaiting word on his next title defense but all signs are pointing towards a showdown with surging contender Volkan Oezdemir. Oezdemir burst ont read news >>

Ian McCall fires manager, then gets release from UFC after $100,000 demand

Veteran flyweight Ian McCall today asked for his release from UFC contract after the promotion denied his demand for a $100,000 payout in his next fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Report: Henry Cejudo breaks ankle escaping fire; UFC 218 bout vs. Sergio Pettis in danger

Deadly fires in Southern California may have seriously impacted former UFC title challenger Henry Cejudo.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>