#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Rizin 7 #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Quinton Jackson #Michael Bisping

Nam Phan likes how he matches up with Dennis Siver on the ground, but admits he might have to knock him down to get the fight there.

Ahead of the featherweight bout scheduled for Dec. 8 at UFC on Fox 5, Phan joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent and more.

On Siver: “He’s a buff guy. He looks like a freaking Ninja Turtle. All muscle, no neck.”

On Siver’s drop to 145 pounds: “Of course every fighter wants to fight for the title, and he probably didn’t think he could do that well at 155, trying to get a title shot. He probably thought that he could get a better shot at 145, but we’ll see.”

On his biggest advantage over Siver: “I think if it gets to the ground, I’ve got the bigger advantage against him technique-wise.”

On how he can take Siver down: “My favorite takedown’s probably the left hook to the body. The main way is knock him down and I can capitalize on that. When he fought Matt Wiman -- I have a lot of respect for Matt Wiman. That guy, I think he’s a very good wrestler, and Matt sometimes had a bit of a difficult time taking him down. I think the best thing for me to do is probably try to knock him down and then try to capitalize on him.”

On the Thanksgiving dinner he ate with a fight coming up: “It was pretty good. I had a tuna salad from Subway.”

On when he’s more nervous, before a fight or waiting on the decision: “The walkout. Walking to the cage. The anticipation in the cage. Aw man, that’s terrifying. I hate it. Right before Bruce Buffer [announces] your name, introduces the other guy -- for me, that’s the worst. I just want to fight.”

On when he mellows: “Right when we get into it. Right when the bell rings. Good, let’s go. Let’s get it over with. I’m not even nervous anymore. I’m like, OK, let’s flow.”

On waiting to hear he’d won a split decision over Cole Miller in his most recent fight: “First, I crapped my pants. Second, I was like, what the heck? How was that a split decision? I didn’t think that was a split decision at all. I didn’t think it was even close to a split decision. I thought I beat him every round.”

On the saying that fighters shouldn’t leave fights to the judges: “It’s so easy, right? Anderson Silva has not even finished all of his fights. Come on, that’s how hard it is. ... Are you serious? I should have finished him? Dude, I never thought about that. Why I would want to stay in there for 15 minutes, go to a decision, when I could just finish the guy in 10 seconds? That never came to my mind. I should just knock the guy out.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 26:04).

Galleries

Dennis Siver Fights

• 3 months ago

Comments

Tony Ferguson's Championship Choke (UFC 216 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from Tony Ferguson's interim lightweight title victory over Kevin Lee at UFC 216 on Satur read news >>

Robbie Lawler vs. Rafael dos Anjos headlines UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

The UFC announced today that Robbie Lawler will take on Rafael dos Anjos in the headliner for UFC on FOX 26.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Galore Bofando vs. Chad Laprise among additions to UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

With the main event for the UFC’s return to Winnipeg now set, the card below it continues to build. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Borrachinha sees Hendricks as the first big step towards a title shot

Paulo Borrachinha is preparing for only his third UFC fight, but the responsibility is the same as that of a more established fighter in the organization, as he faces former champion Johny Hendricks read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas rematch co-headlines UFC on FOX 26; Perry-Ponzinibbio, Mein-Silva added

A featherweight rematch from a past title fight has been booked as the co-main event for the UFC’s return to Winnipeg in December.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Offers Glory Kickboxing 46 Free, Featuring Bigfoot Silva vs. Rico Verhoeven | MMAWeekly.com

UFC is making Glory Kickboxing 46, featuring Bigfoot Silva vs. Rico Verhoeven, free to everyone on Saturday, Oct. 14. read news >>

'TUF 25' winner Jesse Taylor accepts 1-year suspension for clomiphene

UFC anti-doping partner USADA today announced Jesse Taylor has accepted a one-year suspension after an out-of-competition drug test found clomiphene in his system.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White: Robbie Lawler-Rafael dos Anjos winner gets next shot at champ Tyron Woodley

The recently UFC on FOX 26 main event between Robbie Lawler and Rafael dos Anjos is a title-eliminator in the welterweight division. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Champ Michael Bisping walks back retirement talk ahead of UFC 217 title defense

Despite previously stating otherwise, UFC champion Michael Bisping now says he won’t retire after UFC 217.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Georges St-Pierre, Michael Bisping Involved in Confrontation After UFC 217 Media

Georges St-Pierre confronted Michael Bisping during a heated face off at a media commitments for UFC 217. Per TMZ, St-Pierre warned the champion to keep his distance, as Bisping got too close in Toro read news >>