Following a loss to Tom “Kong” Watson at BAMMA 6 on Saturday, Murilo “Ninja” Rua has announced his retirement from the sport of mixed martial arts.

The Brazilian made the announcement on his Twitter account, and was later verified by separate sources.

Rua lost the fight to Watson in England after a one-sided match ended with the Brit knocking out the former EliteXC champion.

The loss brought Rua’s record to 20-12-1 overall.

“I would like to announce officially my retirement from pro MMA fights tonight. It was an amazing run, and it’s a very tough moment,” Rua wrote. “But there comes a time for all in life, and it’s time to move on. I am proud of all I did in MMA and all experiences I had.”

During his career, Rua fought in several different organizations including Pride, Dream, and Cage Rage, as well as spending time as EliteXC middleweight champion.

Rua will continue to teach and train alongside his brother Maurcio “Shogun” Rua, and said he looks forward to spending more time with friends and family.

“It was a fantastic road and this is a very trying time. But there comes a time for everything in life, and ‘s time to move on. I’m proud of everything I’ve done in MMA and all the experiences I had in this profession that I embraced with love,” Rua stated.

“I’ll keep working on MMA giving seminars, lectures, training athletes, and doing my part to help our sport that I love so much. Now it’s time to help others, and enjoy my family, my wife, my children, and move on.”

Rua is the latest of a string of fighters that have announced retirements recently. Just over the last two months both Ricardo Almeida and Nick Thompson have called it a career as well.

Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Citing brain scan abnormality, UFC women's strawweight Aisling Daly announces retirement

Citing an abnormality that showed up on a recent brain scan, UFC women’s strawweight Aisling Daly today announced her retirement from MMA. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC announces New York economic impact study results from UFC 205

UFC announced results of an economic impact analysis following UFC 205: ALVAREZ vs. McGREGOR. Results of the study concluded the landmark event made significant contributions to the city and state wi read news >>

UFC's James Moontasri, 28, announces MMA retirement

Nine years after his pro MMA debut, 28-year-old James Moontasri has called it quits on his fighting career.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After UFC 208 loss, Phillipe Nover announces MMA retirement and return to school

After suffering his third straight UFC loss, Phillipe Nover has decided to call it quits on his MMA career.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

USADA statement on revisions to UFC anti-doping policy

On Thursday, February 16, the United States Anti-Doping Agency announced several revisions to the UFC Anti-Doping Policy that will officially take effect on Saturday, April 1, 2017. To view the updat read news >>

Cris Cyborg Granted Exemption, Cleared of UFC Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

USADA on Friday announced that Cris Cyborg has been granted a retroactive Therapeutic Use Exemption and will therefore not face an anti-doping policy violation. read news >>

Fedor: Only Human | FIGHTLAND

Photo via facebook/BellatorMMA When Fedor Emelianenko returned from a three-year retirement on New Year's Eve of 2015 he bested the hopeless Jaideep Singh at Rizin's first event in Japan. That match read news >>

USADA statement on Cris 'Cyborg' Justino

USADA announced today that Cristiane Justino has been granted a retroactive Therapeutic Use Exemption and will therefore not face an anti-doping policy violation after testing positive for a prohibit read news >>

Daniel Straus-Patricio Freire 4 announced as Bellator 178 main event

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Patricio Freire and Daniel Straus will go another round – or perhaps five – in the main event of Bellator 178.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 draws reported 8,123 attendance for $575,832 live gate

HALIFAX – Sunday night’s UFC Fight Night 105 event drew an announced attendance of 8,123 for a live gate of $575,832 USD ($753,825 Canadian).Filed under: News, UFC read news >>