The UFC's decision to match up Michael Bisping and Tim Boetsch at UFC 148 shocked many in the MMA community, and Mark Munoz is one of them. Munoz shared his thoughts in a recent interview with ESPN, expressing his disappointment with UFC matchmakers.
"It was surprising to me," Munoz said. "I thought we were on a collision course. I know there are a lot of people in the general public that wanted us to fight. I would have loved to fight Bisping just because he's a bigger name and I match up well with him. But hey, he's fighting Boetsch and he's got his hands full. That's a real intriguing fight. We'll see what happens. … I feel that I deserve a title shot. I feel I've done everything I possibly can do to get that shot. That's what I want to fight for. That's what I want."
Boetsch pulled of a huge upset in his last Octagon appearance, coming back in the third round—after being dominated in the first two rounds—and finishing Yushin Okami at UFC 144. While Boetsch deserves a lot credit for his comeback against Okami, it should be noted that the Japanese MMA fighter historically struggles in the third round.
I personally was hoping for a Bisping-Munoz matchup, given the fact Munoz was scheduled to face Chael Sonnen for the number one contender spot at "UFC on Fox 2," before getting sidelined by an elbow injury. Bisping—who filled in for Munoz—proved he was a serious contender against Sonnen at "UFC on Fox 2," and it seemed only natural to match the two up for the next shot at the title.
With the UFC's decision to go a different route, the middleweight title picture becomes a little unclear. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the UFC fixes the mess it has created.
Brett Okamoto, "Munoz surprised he didn't get Bisping fight"
Fight and fighter information from Sherdog.com
More from the Yahoo! Contributor Network:
Note: This article was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Sign up here to start publishing your own sports content.
Check out the trailer for UFC champ Michael Bisping's latest acting gig, "My Name is Lenny." read news >>
Could Georges St-Pierre’s long-awaited UFC comeback take place at Madison Square Garden in New York City? The former longtime UFC champ hinted on Tuesday that may be the case.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
On the heels of his major role in the “xXx” sequel earlier this year, UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping soon will be back on the big screen.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>
UFC President Dana White told Fox Sports Australia's UFC Fight Week that a planned middleweight title fight between Georges St-Pierre and Michael Bisping has been called off. According to Fox Sports read news >>
Jorge Masvidal, during Wednesday's UFC 211 Ultimate Media Day, went off on Michael Bisping for refusing to fight Yoel Romero. read news >>
A fight between middleweight champion Michael Bisping and former longtime welterweight titleholder Georges St-Pierre could still happen – just not in the way that was originally expected.Filed under: read news >>
UFC president Dana White declared that Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre has been canceled, but that Cody Garbrandt vs. TJ Dillashaw has not. read news >>
UFC 211 looked like quite an event on paper and, based on the headlining scrap for FX's preliminary action, anyone who felt that way has pretty good instincts about the game. Former UFC lightweight c read news >>
Demian Maia entered UFC 211 with everything on the line. A loss would have crippled his chances at ever getting another UFC title shot, and he was facing a top-tier challenge against Jorge Masvidal a read news >>
Many believed that Yair Rodriguez vs. Frankie Edgar was a case of too much, too soon for the hot prospect. At UFC 211, those people were proved very, very correct. In a contest so lopsided that it's read news >>