#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Nick Diaz #GSP #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Pancrase #Rizin Fighting World Grand Prix 2017 #Demetrious Johnson #Fight Night Rotterdam

jessica-andrade-1.jpgUFC newcomer Jessica Andrade‘s bright smile hides a fierce martial arts competitor.

The only grin bigger than hers during an open workout in support of UFC on FOX 8 belonged to her opponent, recent bantamweight title challenger Liz Carmouche.

But Andrade’s nickname is also “Bate Estaca,” which in Portuguese means “Pile Driver.” It’s an illegal move in MMA, and one that immediately prompts howls for point deductions.

Andrade, a blue belt in jiu-jitsu who lives in the city of Niteroi in the state of Rio de Janeiro, earned it during a grappling competition in which she faced a larger opponent. During their match, she was caught in an armbar, and in a panic, picked up the opponent and slammed her on her head.

She doesn’t believe in cheating, of course, but she’s kept the name throughout her 11-fight career because it just might serve a purpose in the UFC.

“I think it’s a cool nickname if it puts fear in the hearts of my opponents,” Andrade told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Andrade (9-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Carmouche (8-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) open the main card of UFC on FOX 8, which takes place Saturday at Seattle’s KeyArena and airs live on FOX. Andrade steps up on short notice as a replacement for ex-Strikeforce champ Miesha Tate, who was tapped to coach “The Ultimate Fighter 18? and fight champ Ronda Rousey when title challenger Cat Zingano was injured.

The 5-foot-3 Andrade walked away from five scheduled fights in six months to accept the bout with Carmouche, who returns to the octagon after a submission loss to Rousey in February.

The opponents share a background in jiu-jitsu, though Andrade also has cut her teeth against bigger and more seasoned strikers recently in her 11-fight career.

“I already fought Duda Yankovich, a boxing champion, and she was a lot bigger,” said Andrade. “I submitted her and won the fight. Against Liz, what’s going to matter is who wants it the most, (and) who has the most heart.”

Andrade,who’s won her past two fights, sees similarities in their mentalities when they step in the cage.

“She is as brutal as I am, both standing and on the ground,” said Andrade of Carmouche, who is a former Marine. “I know it’s going to be a great fight. And I’m going there to bring home the win. I’m sure she’ll be trying to do the same.”

Andrade said her family inspires her to find success in MMA. Initially, she said her mother was against her competing in the sport, but was convinced when she performed.

“Yes, both my father and mother support me a lot,” she said. “My mother was reluctant at first. She used to think the sport was too violent. But then she realized that it was both my talent and my dream, and that I would be able to help her out.

“Now, every time I felt like quitting, she’s been there to keep me focused, to push me forward.”

But it’s also her coaches, who saw her ferocious spirit on the mats, that also keep her sharp for what’s undoubtedly the biggest opportunity of her professional career.

“I just want to point out that an athlete is nothing without his or her coaching staff,” Andrade said. “My coaches say to give three kicks and a punch – that’s exactly what I’ll do. I have total trust in them.”

For the latest on UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Jessica Andrade Fights

• 5 months ago

Comments

UFC Fight Night 116 medical suspensions: Newcomer Zu Anyanwu out indefinitely

One of the 20 fighters on this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 116 event is facing an indefinite suspension following his promotional debut. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Claudia Gadelha vs. Jessica Andrade: UFC Japan Joe Rogan Preview | MMAWeekly.com

Joe Rogan breaks down the exciting co-main event between Claudia Gadelha and Jessica Andrade going down at UFC Fight Night Japan on Friday. read news >>

UFC-Japan's Jessica Andrade motivated by failed title bid, aiming for KO of Claudia Gadelha

Rather than letting it deter her, Jessica Andrade says losing her stab at the strawweight title against champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 211 has given her added confidence moving forward.Filed under: read news >>

Newcomer Carlos Felipe Pulled from UFC Fight Night 119 for Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

Incoming UFC heavyweight Carlos Felipe was pulled from the upcoming UFC Fight Night 119 fight card. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 pre-event facts: Jessica Andrade 1st female with a dozen UFC fights

Check out 40 facts, figures and footnotes about UFC Fight Night 117, which features an Ovince Saint Preux vs. Yushin Okami main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Jessica Andrade's lopsided win vs. Claudia Gadelha at UFC Fight Night 117

See the top Twitter reacts to Jessica Andrade’s victory over Claudia Gadelha in the UFC Fight Night 117 co-main event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 results: Jessica Andrade beats up Claudia Gadelha in bloody battle

Claudia Gadelha only had lost to strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk before Friday. Then Jessica Andrade came into her life. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jessica Andrade Pummels Claudia Gadelha into a Bloody Mess (UFC Japan Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Jessica Andrade's pummeling of Claudia Gadelha at UFC Fight Night 117 on Friday in Japan. read news >>

Jessica Andrade Bloodies and Batters Claudia Gadelha in Co-Main Event at UFC in Japan | MMAWeekly.com

Jessica Andrade made a very strong statement with her win on Friday night as she bloodied and battered former title contender Claudia Gadelha en route to a lopsided decision in the co-main event at U read news >>

The bloody Jessica Andrade-Claudia Gadelha fight at UFC-Japan gave us incredible photos

Jessica Andrade and Claudia Gadelha gave us the “Fight of the Night” at UFC Fight Night 117.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>