Although the recent news that Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic had been released from his UFC contract at first appeared to be a case of the UFC cutting its losses, the Croatian heavyweight vows that he’ll return to the organization.
Last week the upstart DREAM promotion, which was created by former PRIDE staffers and the MMA division of FEG’s K-1, announced that Filipovic had been released from the remaining three fights of his UFC contract and had signed with them. The UFC reportedly wanted Filipovic to restructure his lucrative deal (he was paid $350,000 for his debut at UFC 67) but ultimately allowed him to walk. Both sides maintain that the split was amicable.
After a successful career in PRIDE, Filipovic signed with the UFC and defeated Eddie Sanchez but then suffered upsets to Gabriel Gonzaga and Cheick Kongo. He stated that his decision to leave before a fourth fight took place in the UFC was partially because he was ready to fight now — but the UFC couldn’t schedule him for a bout anytime before May.
“I have already mentioned that I will take part in three fights for DREAM and that then I will return to the UFC,” Filipovic told the website javno.com. “And to all Internet know-it-alls, I say to put gloves on and to enter the ring or the cage themselves before insulting (any) fighter. I repeat, I am not avoiding the UFC, and will come back by the end of the year.”
Although Filipovic expects to go 3-0 before returning to the UFC, at least one opponent could present a problem: Fedor Emelianenko. Filipovic says he wants to fight the highly ranked Russian before returning to the UFC.
The two fighters met once before — at PRIDE Final Conflict 2005 — and Emelianenlo scored a unanimous-decision victory to snap Filipovic’s seven-fight win streak.
Although there’s been no official announcement about the fight, Emelianenko is signed to a non-exclusive deal with M-1 Global, and the organization at least initially seems open to the idea of allowing him to compete in DREAM — possibly in a co-promoted show.
Regardless, Filipovic says he just wants to get back on the winning track and redeem himself in the UFC.
“For the last two years I’ve been in some kind of mental blockade,” Filipovic said. “I was empty before fights, depressed, I hated myself.
“I’m sorry to have disappointed my English fans who welcomed me like a king. That’s why I want to come out in front of them again. I can’t turn back time, but my time will come again.”
(Touch of gloves: MMAjunkie.com reader “Ace”)Âview original article >>
Now former WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje late Wednesday night said his next move is a done deal.Filed under: News, UFC, WSOF read news >>
As has become a recent tradition, a UFC card has lost a fight on the eve of the event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
James Vick was upset he didn’t get a performance bonus for knocking out Marco Polo Reyes at UFC 211. So he took his complaint directly to UFC brass.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>
Luke Rockhold didn't take kindly to UFC president Dana White's recent comment that he "hasn't earned anything." He had a pointed response for White. read news >>
Polish up-and-comer Agnieszka Niedzwiedz headlines tonight’s Invicta FC 23 event opposite veteran Vanessa Porto while looking for a 10th win on her undefeated record. Could the UFC be next? Possibly. read news >>
The UFC has opted not pursue contract renewals with several notable fighters in recent months. One of the more curious cases was Nikita Krylov, who many believed had a bright future in a thin UFC lig read news >>
UFC newcomer Deivison Alcantara has finished all but one of the opponents featured on his undefeated MMA record. At UFC 212, he is confident that Marco Beltran will meet the same fate.Filed under: Ne read news >>
Gegard Mousasi still has not signed a new UFC contract, and from his tone, it doesn’t appear the UFC middleweight contender is happy with what’s been offered.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
The recent altercation where Cris "Cyborg" Justino punched Angela Magana at the UFC Athlete Retreat in Las Vegas was caught on video. read news >>
Vitor Belfort initially planned to retire following his UFC 212 bout against Nate Marquardt in June, but those plans have changed. read news >>