#UFC Fight Night 83 #Conor McGregor #Luke Rockhold #Nate Diaz #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #Jon Jones #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #GGG

Undefeated hot prospect Edson Barboza will face the most important fight of his career this Saturday, as he faces TUF 9 winner Ross Pearson at UFC 134. Beyond the fact that he will be fighting in his home state Rio de Janeiro, Barboza will debut in the main card, after two impressive wins over Mike Lullo and Anthony Njokuani that moved his MMA record to 8-0.

Brazil's hottest name in the lightweight division sees this develop as a natural consequence of his hard work at The Armory team in Jupiter, Fla.

“My focus is always on my work. Apart from fighting on the main card or preliminary card, I just want to enter the octagon and do my best, do what I know," Barboza told Sherdog.com. "It doesn't matter where or how, it doesn't scare me."

But, that's not to say that Barboza is unaware of how his career has been progressing since debuting in the UFC.

"It's nice to see how things are developing for me," he admitted. "First I fought on the preliminary card, with no TV, then they put me on Spike TV's card, and now I'm fighting on the main card, with worldwide pay-per-view."

Against Pearson, the Novo Friburgo native will have a perfect opportunity to show his impressive muay Thai skills against another striker. To not get caught by Pearson's savvy boxing, he is working on his distance game, trying to take full advantage of the nearly four-inch reach advantage he has over the Brit.

“I always try to tip the scale in my favor. I try to use my height advantage always, surely it can help me," he explained. "But I need to be prepared to fight any fighter, so I train hard with small and big guys also. Working with Luiz Cane has been working very well for me. It helped me defeat Njokuani, who is taller than me."

Unlike many UFC fighters, Barboza didn't always have the dream to become a MMA star. He actually wanted to have a long and distinguished muay Thai career, but the opportunities were scarce.

“I won everything I could in Brazilian muay Thai, but doors didn't open to me, so my mentor Anderson Franca and my manager Alex Davis saw better opportunities for me in the U.S., and we made the decision to join The Armory team," he explained. "My main focus was to fight K-1, but thank God MMA appeared to me, I saw it was what I wanted to do and now, I don't see myself doing anything else."

One thing that has weighed on the mind of the 25-year-old is that he will be the last one to fight before one of Brazil's greatest fighting idols, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, who returns to the UFC after an injury-riddled 16 months to take on Brendan Schaub.

Barboza has spent recent days in Rio de Janeiro at Team Nogueira, so he has had the chance to stay closer to his idols. But, what he is really looking forward to is Friday's weigh-ins.

“I was talking the other day with my wife Bruna and Luiz Cane, still in disbelief that we will be in the weigh-in line beside 'Minotauro,' Anderson Silva, 'Shogun'," he smiled. "I think I'llonly believe it after it happens. It's a dream to be in the lineup with those guys."

However, the one fighting idol that Barboza saves a special affection for is obvious.

“I'm a huge fan of Rodrigo 'Minotauro.' I always get nervous, my hands starts sweating when he fights. He is a guy that, when he gets punched, it's like I've got punched too," Barboza explained.

"He is, without a doubt, my greatest idol in MMA."

Galleries

Edson Barboza Fights

• 6 months ago

Comments

DWCS 1 winner Boston Salmon meets Augusto Mendes at UFC Fight Night 119 in Brazil

Boston Salmon’s win on the first Dana White’s Contender Series episode got him a UFC deal, and now he’ll take on Augusto Mendes in Brazil.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Calderwood vs. Rawlings, Kennedy vs. Volkanovski set for UFC Fight Night 121 in Sydney

The UFC’s return to the “Land Down Under” has another pair of fights headed for the card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Marcin Held tries to snap 3-fight skid vs. Teemu Packalen at UFC Fight Night 118 in Poland

For the first time in more than seven years, Marcin Held will get to fight in front of his home Polish fans. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Holly Holm ready to fight 'beatable' UFC champ Cris Cyborg ... if the terms are right

Holly Holm is ready and willing to fight UFC featherweight champion Cris Cyborg as soon as possible – but there’s a catch.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White, Conor McGregor Discuss Possible Ownership Stake in the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Last November following his stunning second round finish over Eddie Alvarez to become the first ever simultaneous two division champion in UFC history, Conor McGregor immediately turned his attention read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with UFC signee Joby Sanchez

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 pm ET (10 am PT) with guest Joby Sanchez, who got a UFC contract on Dana White’s Contender Series 7.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Denies Floyd Mayweather's Claims of IV Use by Conor McGregor

UFC President Dana White is defending Conor McGregor after Floyd Mayweather Jr. said the mixed martial arts star needed to use IV bags to stay hydrated in preparation for Saturday's megafight. Speaki read news >>

Conor McGregor and His Nutritionist Dispel Floyd Mayweather's Concerns Over Missing Weight | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor and his nutritionist promise that Floyd Mayweather's concerns about the UFC lightweight champion missing weight are not only unfounded but down right silly. Over the past few days, May read news >>

Dana White Says Jon Jones Just Can't Get Out of His Own Way | MMAWeekly.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones will have the opportunity to make a defense after he tested positive for steroids following his win over Daniel Cormier last month but the damage done publicl read news >>

Tom Duquesnoy says he's fighting Cody Stamann at UFC 217 in New York

The lineup for the UFC’s return to Madison Square Garden this fall continues to build with the addition of a new bantamweight bout.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>