Jim Miller's ground game came in handy against Melvin Guillard. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Jim Miller might have walked out of UFC on FX 1 with a victory, but it did not come easily.

The New Jersey native found himself in trouble early in his headlining lightweight affair against Melvin Guillard, as “The Young Assassin” floored the AMA Fight Club talent with a hard left hand and looked for a potential finish as Miller tried to regain his senses.

“Melvin, tonight he hit me harder than anybody has hit me,” Miller told Fox Sports after the bout. “My head hurts a little bit. It doesn’t happen often that I get knocked down, but Melvin is an animal. I knew he was capable of that. Luckily, I went on autopilot. I don’t really remember what happened after he knocked me down until I basically had his back.”

In addition to his sharp punches, Guillard threatened early and often with a flying knee, missing the strike narrowly several times in the course of the bout’s opening minutes. Guillard’s last attempt at the move would be his last, however, as Miller caught the technique and planted Guillard on the canvas.

“I was thinking, I’ve got to stop him from doing this, because one of these times he’s going to hit me on the chin with that knee,” said Miller. “I had to do something to make him pay, but I just didn’t get the opportunity to get anything in there [before the takedown].”

As Guillard attempted to escape bottom position and regain his vertical base, Miller showed off his tight jiu-jitsu, taking the hunched Guillard’s back and riding the Imperial Athletics representative back to the canvas. From there, it was academic, as Miller found the required leverage to finish his foe with a rear-naked choke.

“I don’t know if it’s my favorite position, but [taking the back] is just something I do naturally,” said Miller. “It’s like Velcro. I stick to guys’ backs, and I get the finish from there a lot.”

With the win, Miller successfully rebounded from his August defeat to current No. 1 contender Ben Henderson, Miller’s first loss since falling to Gray Maynard in 2009. While the 28-year-old declined to call anyone out in his post-fight interview, Miller did indicate that he still has his eye on the belt currently sitting around the waist of Frankie Edgar.

“Hopefully I’ll get another tough fight and get back on that road to a title shot,” said Miller. “That’s what I want.”

UFC Fight Night 104 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

Dustin Poirier: 'A Win Over Jim Miller is a Solid Win' (UFC 208 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dustin Poirier talks about the respect he has for UFC 208 opponent Jim Miller, his team's split with former UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler, and more. read news >>

UFC 208's Dustin Poirier still learning to let go of octagon emotion ahead of Jim Miller fight

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Dustin Poirier apparently is the type who needs to learn the same lesson multiple times in order to fully get past it.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 208's Jim Miller: 'I can beat anybody that weighs in at 155 pounds,' including Conor McGregor

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – UFC veteran Jim Miller is back to feeling at his best, and in his opinion, that’s very bad news for the rest of the UFC lightweight division.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, read news >>

UFC 208 early weigh-in results and live video stream (9 a.m. ET)

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC 208 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at 9 a.m. ET (6 a.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 early weigh-in results and live video stream (8 a.m. ET)

HALIFAX – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Saturday’s early and official UFC Fight Night 105 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at 8 a.m. ET (5 a.m. PT, 9 a.m. AST local time).Filed under read news >>

UFC 208 One to Watch: Dustin Poirier vs. Jim Miller | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC The UFC returns on Saturday night to New York for UFC 208 at the Barclays Center—its first ever show in Brooklyn. UFC 208 will host the inaugural women’s featherweight read news >>

UFC 208 early weigh-in results: Inaugural title fight set with Holm, de Randamie under championship weight

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – MMAjunkie was on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC 208 fighter weigh-ins, where the promotion’s inaugural women’s featherweight title fight was made offici read news >>

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC 208 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at 9 a.m. ET (6 a.m. PT).Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 208 results: Ryan LaFlare dominates early, cruises to decision over Roan Carneiro

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Ryan LaFlare used constant pressure and a stiff left hand to outwork and outpoint Roan Carneiro in a fight that got suddenly competitive in the final minute.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>