#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Bellator MMA #Conor McGregor #Kristina Williams #Heather Hardy #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #GSP #UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Nate Diaz

Jim Miller's ground game came in handy against Melvin Guillard. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Jim Miller might have walked out of UFC on FX 1 with a victory, but it did not come easily.

The New Jersey native found himself in trouble early in his headlining lightweight affair against Melvin Guillard, as “The Young Assassin” floored the AMA Fight Club talent with a hard left hand and looked for a potential finish as Miller tried to regain his senses.

“Melvin, tonight he hit me harder than anybody has hit me,” Miller told Fox Sports after the bout. “My head hurts a little bit. It doesn’t happen often that I get knocked down, but Melvin is an animal. I knew he was capable of that. Luckily, I went on autopilot. I don’t really remember what happened after he knocked me down until I basically had his back.”

In addition to his sharp punches, Guillard threatened early and often with a flying knee, missing the strike narrowly several times in the course of the bout’s opening minutes. Guillard’s last attempt at the move would be his last, however, as Miller caught the technique and planted Guillard on the canvas.

“I was thinking, I’ve got to stop him from doing this, because one of these times he’s going to hit me on the chin with that knee,” said Miller. “I had to do something to make him pay, but I just didn’t get the opportunity to get anything in there [before the takedown].”

As Guillard attempted to escape bottom position and regain his vertical base, Miller showed off his tight jiu-jitsu, taking the hunched Guillard’s back and riding the Imperial Athletics representative back to the canvas. From there, it was academic, as Miller found the required leverage to finish his foe with a rear-naked choke.

“I don’t know if it’s my favorite position, but [taking the back] is just something I do naturally,” said Miller. “It’s like Velcro. I stick to guys’ backs, and I get the finish from there a lot.”

With the win, Miller successfully rebounded from his August defeat to current No. 1 contender Ben Henderson, Miller’s first loss since falling to Gray Maynard in 2009. While the 28-year-old declined to call anyone out in his post-fight interview, Miller did indicate that he still has his eye on the belt currently sitting around the waist of Frankie Edgar.

“Hopefully I’ll get another tough fight and get back on that road to a title shot,” said Miller. “That’s what I want.”

Comments

Dana White clowns anyone who thinks Gokhan Saki's UFC debut win was stopped early

Some folks complained about the stoppage in Gokhan Saki’s first-round KO at UFC Fight Night 117. UFC President Dana White was not one of them.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dachi Abe Survives All-Out War at UFC Japan (Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Dachi Abe's miraculous comeback victory over Hyun Gyu Lim at UFC Fight Night 117 on Friday in Japan. read news >>

Dachi Abe Survives All-Out War at UFC Japan (Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Daichi Abe's miraculous comeback victory over Hyun Gyu Lim at UFC Fight Night 117 on Friday in Japan. read news >>

UFC 216 Title Fight in Jeopardy, One More Fight Cancelled At Early Weigh-Ins | MMAWeekly.com

LAS VEGAS — The main event title fight at UFC 216 is in jeopardy following the early-weigh-ins from Las Vegas. Main event fighter Kevin Lee waited until the deadline at 11 a.m. local time to step on read news >>

UFC 216 results: Beneil Dariush strong early, but Evan Dunham rallies to force majority draw

Evan Dunham rallied in the second and third rounds after a rough first to force a majority draw against Beneil Dariush.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 early weigh-in results and live video stream (noon ET)

MMAjunkie is reporting live from the early and official UFC 216 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at noon ET (9 a.m. PT local time).Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC 216 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 8 p.m. ET

Catch a live video stream of the UFC 216 ceremonial weigh-ins from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas at 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch today's UFC 217 press conference with Bisping, GSP, others at 6:30 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS – Check out a live stream of today’s UFC 217 press conference, which includes all six title-fight participants, live here on MMAjunkie at 6:30 p.m. ET (3:30 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, read news >>

Video: Hardy, Gooden break down Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee at UFC 216

Check out UFC analysts Dan Hardy and John Gooden with their breakdown of the UFC 216 main event between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Hardy, Gooden break down Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg at UFC 216

Check out UFC analysts Dan Hardy and John Gooden with their breakdown of the UFC 216 co-main event between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>