#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Kevin Lee #Nate Diaz #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Fight Night Rotterdam #Holly Holm #Demetrious Johnson #Darren Till #Anderson Silva

Cole Miller suffered a broken hand at UFC Live 5. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Cole Miller got a win at UFC Live 5, but he’s headed for another stint of rest and recovery after breaking his hand during his bout against T.J. O'Brien.

“I just did this. I had a knee injury earlier this year and I wasn’t able to train for nine weeks,” Miller said during a “Savage Dog Show” interview on the Sherdog Radio Network. “I wanted to be able to get a good win like I did and come out unscathed and hopefully get another fight before the end of the year. … But everything’s just going to have to be put on hold. It’s kind of depressing.”

Miller hadn’t fought since January. Now it looks like he’ll only fight twice in 2011.

“I’m pretty disappointed,” he said. “I’m definitely happy that I won the fight. This whole situation would be a lot worse if I had a broken hand and [was] coming off a loss, but I’m not the same usual self that I am after a nice victory. The injury’s definitely making me a little bit depressed.”

Miller submitted O’Brien with a nifty guillotine choke 2:38 into the second round. The submission is particularly impressive when you consider that he broke his hand roughly four minutes into the opening period.

“I’ve been saying it for a long time. You’re going to see all these guys getting broken hands and not because we’re wearing 4-ounce gloves but because all these guys either don’t know how to strike or they’re throwing looping overhands,” Miller said. “That’s a great way to set up takedowns and things like that, but when you’re throwing looping punches and hooking punches, you’re going to be more likely to break something.”

Due to O’Brien’s reach, Miller said he had to throw more overhands and hooks. O’Brien ducked into one of Miller’s right hooks, and the punch hit him on the top of the head, breaking Miller’s hand. Still, Miller found a way to win.

“In the second round I definitely felt the pressure,” he said. “I knew my hand was broke. I felt that sense of urgency that I needed to get the job done.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 38:42).

Comments

Jason Knight says he's fighting Gabriel Benitez at UFC Fight Night 123 in Fresno

Fan favorite “Mississippi Mean” is headed to California.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Frankie Edgar Explains Why His Style Will Give Max Holloway Problems at UFC 218 | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

From the moment Max Holloway landed the final punch to finish Jose Aldo in June to become featherweight champion, Frankie Edgar was waiting to get the first shot at the new king of the division. Edga read news >>

Will Brooks vs. Nik Lentz targeted for UFC Fight Night 121

• a day ago

The UFC is targeting a do-over for Will Brooks and Nik Lentz at UFC Fight Night 121.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Will Brooks vs. Nik Lentz Expected to Be Rebooked for UFC Fight Night in Australia | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

A lightweight matchup between Will Brooks and Nik Lentz that was originally scheduled for UFC 216 is expected to get shifted to UFC Fight Night in Australia on Nov. 19. Sources close to the matchup c read news >>

Poland's Salim Touahri replaces Jim Wallhead vs. Warlley Alves at UFC Fight Night 118

• a day ago

Warlley Alves will stay on this week’s UFC card in Poland, and he’ll do so against a short-notice home-country replacement. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fighter Henry Cejudo Details Narrow Escape from NorCal Fires

• a day ago

Mixed martial arts fighter Henry Cejudo revealed he had to escape a burning hotel when he was caught in the middle of the wildfires that have spread across northern California. In an interview Monday read news >>

Brad Tavares is all praise for the UFC's 'game-changing' Performance Institute

• a day ago

After a UFC 216 fight with Thales Leites brought Brad Tavares a third straight win, he believes he’s ready for a big name like, say, former middleweight champion Anderson Silva.Filed under: News, Rad read news >>

Damien Brown meets Frank Camacho at UFC Fight Night 121 in Sydney

• a day ago

The UFC’s return to Australia next month continues to build with the addition of a lightweight fight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After UFC champ Cris Cyborg points to drug testing, Holly Holm points to scoreboard

• a day ago

When it comes to UFC women’s featherweight champion Cris Cyborg, potential next opponent Holly Holm just wants to get real for a moment.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 26 tickets on sale this week, and $316 Canadian gets you cageside

• a day ago

The UFC returns to Winnipeg next month, and tickets for the event go on sale this week. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>