#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83 #Nate Diaz #Luke Rockhold #Jon Jones #David Branch #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #Saturday Night Fights

Mike Wessel UFC 92In the grind that can be sports, it’s easy to understand if someone loses motivation and ends up just going through the motions. For Bellator heavyweight Mike Wessel, that was the case when he lost to Scott Barrett in January of last year.

“I realized that I didn’t care as much as I needed to,” said Wessel. “My heart and motivation wasn’t in it, and that was my biggest factor in winning any fight. My heart and my desire to succeed is one of my biggest assets, and I kind of lost that with Scott and was just doing it for a paycheck and I didn’t like that.”

Wessel took some time off and surrounded himself with a support system of good people, and has since reeled off two wins in a row.

“The fight against Matt (Kovacs) was a good fight to re-introduce myself and this last fight against Ryan Martinez was a performance that showed I could go the distance, go hard and I can keep things moving,” said Wessel.

“I think Bellator respected that and saw that I’m a guy that takes this seriously and gave me another shot.”

Wessel’s shot will come Friday night at Bellator 75 where he takes on Richard Hale as part of the promotion’s Season 7 Heavyweight Tournament.

“He’s got great hands and good athleticism, so the key for me is to use inside boxing and not let him control the fight,” said Wessel of Hale. “I can’t let him run around and control the cage. On the ground he is very sneaky, so I have to be very focused and aware of what he’s doing.

“If I get in close and I’m able to stay inside to where his reach won’t matter, I really think I have a very good shot of putting him against the cage and taking him down and finishing him there or knocking him out.”

Getting the opportunity to be part of the heavyweight tournament and control his own destiny is something that Wessel is extremely thankful for, especially following a brief and disappointing stint in the UFC four years ago.

As Wessel told MMAWeekly.com, not many people get a second chance to make a huge impact in their career.

“I kind of screwed up in the past,” said Wessel. “I wasn’t mature enough or wasn’t into the right things or chose the right people to be around myself. I’m putting my best effort forward and win, lose or draw, I know I’ve done everything I can to be successful.

“Of course I want to win, of course I want to win a belt because I’ve always been the runner-up, the second place guy throughout my career, and I want to know what it’s like to be a champion and show people that I belong.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Bellator news and updates.

Comments

Bellator 182's Colleen Schneider will call out Ilima-Lei MacFarlane – with cameras rolling this time

After fighting her first Bellator bout without cameras, Colleen Schneider plans to make a splash at Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 182's Bruna Ellen eyeing finish over Veta Arteaga now, flyweight belt later

Looking to add a second Bellator win to her 1-1 promotional record, Brazilian flyweight Bruna Ellen is not lacking in confidence.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

In his own lane, Chidi Njokuani doesn't care about anyone else ahead of Bellator 182

Chidi Njokuani has been cruising along, but in classic fighter style, he says it doesn’t matter who it’s been against, or where. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

From mom's death to bad knee: Talita Nogueira's rough road to long-awaited Bellator debut

A lot went into finally making it here, but undefeated featherweight Talita Nogueira is happy and healthy ahead her Bellator debut.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kate Jackson Going to Rely On Technique in Bellator MMA Debut | MMAWeekly.com

On August 25 in Verona, New York, Kate Jackson (8-2-1) makes her Bellator debut against veteran Colleen Schneider (11-7) in a main card 125-pound bout. read news >>

Bellator 182's Brennan Ward wants you excited more than he wants you to see his hand raised

Brennan Ward says it’s more important for you to not be bored by his performance than for him to win – especially right now in Bellator.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182's Joey Davis' modest goals for MMA career? 'I want to be the next big thing'

Four-time NCAA Division II national champion and unbeaten wrestler Joey Davis already is daring to dream big ahead of Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182 live video stream and official results (6:30 p.m. ET)

Bellator 182 takes place tonight, and you can join us for a live video stream and official results beginning at 6:30 pm ET.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Bellator 182: Koreshkov vs. Njokuani Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Follow along for Bellator 182: Koreshkov vs. Njokuani full live results and fight stats. read news >>

Boxer, Bellator MMA's Heather Hardy: Floyd Mayweather will be aggressive vs. Conor McGregor

Bellator’s Heather Hardy, who competed in both boxing and MMA, is taking Floyd Mayweather at his word about being aggressive.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC, Videos read news >>