Mike Biggie RhodesSo far in his relatively short career, Roufusport welterweight prospect Mike “Biggie” Rhodes has lived up to his team’s lofty reputation by dominating the majority of his fights, en route to a 4-0 record.

“This last year was major for me making the transition to fighting professionally from the amateur ranks,” said Rhodes. “Each performance I feel I got a little better and got a little bit more comfortable.

“I was more reacting and fighting from instinct rather than when sometimes as an amateur you fight out of fear and do things without a reason. This year I think I cut out a lot of those little mistakes you make as an amateur and I progressed and became a pretty good pro.”

Even though he’s controlled the majority of his fights, Rhodes did experience some unexpected discomfort in his win in January against Quartus Stitt.

“I took a couple shots to the groin that were pretty violent, but I was able to recover and was able put my gameplan in play,” Rhodes said. “I was able to pressure him, and my cardio was top notch, and I ended up getting a TKO stoppage because he didn’t come out for the third round.”

Cardio has always been a strong point for Rhodes, which he figures will come in handy when he travels to the mile high altitude of Denver to face Brandon “Ruckus” Thatch in the main event of RFA 7 this Friday live on AXS TV.

“We’re both very good strikers when it comes down to it, both really good grapplers, and I think we’re both very well-rounded in the sport,” said Rhodes.

“I think the way to beat Brandon is to fight smart, to not get into a brawl with him, or let him impose his gameplan. I’m going to make sure to apply pressure smartly and weather the storm because he puts a lot of guys away early.”

Rhodes told MMAWeekly.com that stepping onto Thatch’s turf presents the possibility of a hometown decision should they go the distance. He plans on not letting it get that far.

“Anytime you go into someone else’s hometown and fight in front of their fans and family, every single punch or strike they land is going to be amplified because the crowd is going to ‘ooh’ and ‘ahh,’ and they’re going to make it seem like it’s a lot more than it could be,” said Rhodes.

“In that situation, you have to go out there and be very dominant and make sure that you finish. Unless you’re dominant, you can lose a very close decision in their hometown.”

With the high risk of fighting someone as dangerous as Thatch comes the possibility of great reward should Rhodes perform well, and he knows it.

“I think not only will fighting on national TV and in the main event against a fighter like Brandon Thatch, whether I win handily or lose a close decision, the credibility and notoriety I will get from this fight will help me gain a fan base and will hopefully help me progress my career a lot faster than I would be fighting on the local circuit.”

'I didn't leave the Blackzillians to start my own team,' says coach Henri Hooft

According to former Blackzillians coach Henri Hooft, the recently-announced decision to leave the team after six years did not stem from a desire to lead his own group of fighters: "I think I'm not r read news >>

Josh Thomson vs. Patricky 'Pitbull' Freire set as Bellator 172 co-main event

Josh Thomson’s next fight won’t be a championship showdown with Bellator lightweight titleholder Michael Chandler. Instead, it will come against Patricky Freire at Bellator 172 next month.Filed under read news >>

CES MMA 41 video highlights: Watch Matt Bessette leave Kevin Croom a bloody mess

It was a night filled with stoppages in the heart of New England, including a main-event title fight with a champ who believes he’s ready to go to the next level. Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, Vi read news >>

Julianna Pena reflects on first UFC loss: Even 'Michael Jordan missed shots'

Julianna Pena says she won’t allow losing her most high-profile fight to date to derail her career.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Manager says Gegard Mousasi's UFC 210 bout not in jeopardy, but UFC monitoring situation

Gegard Mousasi’s manager is confident the UFC middleweight won’t be kept from fighting ex-champ Chris Weidman at UFC 210. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Was the Anderson Silva Decision the Right Call? (UFC 208 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Was the judges' decision correct in the Anderson Silva vs. Derek Brunson fight at UFC 208 in Brooklyn? read news >>

Do the UFC 208 Scorecards Leave Winners Shadowed by Doubt? | MMAWeekly.com

While UFC 208 was historic in that it crowned the inaugural UFC women's featherweight champion, its main and co-main event bouts were shadowed in controversy. read news >>

UFC 208 reaction: Did the judges get de Randamie-Holm right?

UFC.com’s Matt Parrino and NESN.com’s Andre Khatchaturian break down what happened in the five-round main event at UFC 208. The two discuss Germaine de Randamie’s performance, what’s next for Holly H read news >>

Referees, judges selected for UFC 209's championship doubleheader

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today selected referees and judges for next month’s UFC 209 event during a Valentine’s Day meeting in Las Vegas. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

TJ Dillashaw Claims Cody Garbrandt Wanted to Leave Alpha Male with Him (video) | MMAWeekly.com

TJ Dillashaw claims that Cody Garbrandt was looking to leave Team Alpha Male at one point and train alongside him. read news >>