It appears that World Series of Fighting will make good on its promise to book Miguel Torres once again. Now it’s just a question of who his opponent will be.
Torres (40-6) on Saturday posted on his Facebook page that he’ll be fighting at WSOF 6. He also said he’s not planning on doing “any interviews or media” he doesn’t have to do in advance of the fight.
WSOF 6 takes place Oct. 26 at BankUnited Center in Coral Gables, Fla. The main card airs on NBC Sports Network following prelims that stream on MMAjunkie.com. Torres, against whoever he fights, is expected to be part of that preliminary card.
Most signs point to a matchup against Tyson Nam (12-5). WSOF President Ray Sefo earlier this month said he’d book that fight, provided both parties still wanted it. That comment came after news broke that Torres had been arrested in his home state of Indiana on a misdemeanor charge of marijuana possession.
“As far as I know, Tyson definitely wants that fight,” Sefo said. “So that’s a good fight. We all make mistakes, and Miguel has obviously run into a situation, and we’ll support him. He’s still fighting for World Series of Fighting.”
Commenting on his own Facebook post to a fan asking who he was fighting, Torres said: “Don’t know, don’t care. Tired of sitting down being a normal man. It’s not my style, a wolf that doesn’t hunt is just a dog.”
Requests for comment from Torres’ camp were not returned on Saturday.
The former WEC bantamweight champion has had an up-and-down run the past four years – and mostly down, lately. In August 2009, with a 37-1 record, he lost his WEC title to Brian Bowles. His next fight was a submission loss to Joseph Benavidez. He picked up a win in his final WEC bout, then one in his UFC debut after the two promotions’ merger.
He dropped a unanimous decision to Demetrious Johnson at UFC 130, but rebounded with a decision win over Nick Pace at UFC 139 in November 2011. But soon after that, his infamous “rape tweet” led to a public firing by the UFC. Three weeks later, after making amends, UFC President Dana White welcomed him back into the fold. But in his next outing, he was knocked out by Michael McDonald in the first round at UFC 145, then was let go again.
He signed with WSOF and fought Marlon Moraes at the company’s debut in November 2012, but dropped a split decision. He hasn’t fought since, and a month ago his marijuana arrest came.
Torres is due in court next month. The Marshall County (Ind.) Sheriff’s Department arrested him this past month, and Torres posted a $1,500 bond. If convicted, Torres faces one year in prison and a maximum fine of $5,000.
Torres and Nam were on course to fight earlier this year after both were upset by Moraes. Nam most recently fought in March at WSOF 2, where he lost a decision to Moraes. The setback snapped a five-fight winning streak.
For more on WSOF’s upcoming schedule, check out the MMA Rumors section of the site.
(Pictured: Miguel Torres)view original article >>
Marlon Moraes is headed to the UFC, but faced former WEC world champion Miguel Torres at the inaugural WSOF1 on November 3, 2012, in Las Vegas. read news >>
It appears UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley will fit a title defense into his busy schedule.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
LAS VEGAS – WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje is heading to the UFC, according to his now-former employers.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>
Check out this epic battle between WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje and challenger Luiz Firmino. read news >>
Image via WSOF When it was announced last week that the World Series of Fighting would be changing its name to the Professional Fighters League and introducing a 10-month league format to mixed marti read news >>
The Ultimate Fighter 25 Finale appears to have a women’s bantamweight bout headed for the card, including an unbeaten Invicta FC prospect.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
After a two-fight run as a featherweight, former bantamweight champion Renan Barao appears to be ready to move back to 135 pounds. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Nate Diaz has been on a break. And it appears he’s going to remain on a break for the foreseeable future. read news >>
Now former WSOF lightweight champion Justin Gaethje late Wednesday night said his next move is a done deal.Filed under: News, UFC, WSOF read news >>
With the WSOF morphing into the Professional Fighters League, the UFC snatched up another of the promotion's champions, inking a deal with Justin Gaethje. read news >>