#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nick Diaz #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Quinton Jackson #Pancrase #Fight Night Rotterdam #Demetrious Johnson

Michelle WatersonFollowing her victory over Masako Yoshida in April 2010, Michelle “Karate Hottie” Waterson would be out of the sport for just under two years, before returning in January with a win over Diana Rael.

“It was something I felt like I needed to accomplish for myself,” said Waterson. “I was off my whole pregnancy and 10 months after that until I got in the ring. It’s crazy, you kind of get those nerves when you first start fighting and I’d totally forgotten what it was like to get punched in the face.”

Waterson didn’t appear to have much ring rust, thanks to preparations made leading up to the fight.

“I was able to stay composed and get in the zone and able to capitalize on the situations I was in,” said Waterson.

“I knew going in that she was going to try to hold me down like she did in her previous fights, so coach (Greg) Jackson worked with me over and over again on get-ups and as soon I was in that position it wasn’t an unfamiliar position for me.”

As she’s grown into becoming a more complete MMA fighter at Team Jackson-Winkeljohn, Waterson has been able to get back to her roots a bit and use it fuller advantage.

“A couple years ago when I first started, I came from a karate background that I had to put on the back burner because it wasn’t working; it was just too flashy and didn’t work for fighting. Now that I have a foundation as more of an MMA fighter, I’m able to incorporate that karate into it,” she said.

“Now that I have that foundation of fighting, it’s more a power karate rather than just for points or tags.”

Waterson will be able to further test out this integration when she returns on Oct. 6 at Invicta FC 3 in Kansas City, Kan., against Lacey Schuckman.

“It’s a good step up for me and I’m ready to get in there and show the world what I’ve been training for,” Waterson told MMAWeekly.com.

“My mindset right now is that I’m better at all things, because that’s the kind of mindset you need to be at this point in the game, and with my speed I will be able to capitalize on that.”

Looking ahead, Waterson was asked if she feels she can make a run at a full-time MMA career after becoming a mother, to which she said, “I hope so.

“My daughter is young right now and I have the luxury of my mom helping out and helping me raise her and giving me time to train. As long as we understand it’s a passion of mine and it doesn’t conflict with me being a mother, I’d like to fight for at least for another five or six years.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Invicta FC and MMA news.

Galleries

Michelle Waterson Fights

• 10 months ago

Comments

Get To Know TUF Cast: Lauren Murphy

Lauren Murphy, a former Invicta FC bantamweight champion with four UFC fights to her name, didn’t feel like an MMA veteran earlier this year. Then she joined the cast of The Ultimate Fighter and ever read news >>

Unbeaten Invicta FC vet Aspen Ladd joins UFC Fight Night 118 in Poland

After an unsuccessful first try, undefeated Aspen Ladd is slated again for her UFC debut.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Andrea Lee talks USADA rule that scrapped UFC 216 debut, clears air on previously failed drug test

Former Invicta FC flyweight champ Andrea Lee has entered the USADA testing pool, though she’d rather her addition have been less dramatic.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Former Invicta FC Champion Advances Closer to UFC Title on TUF 26 | MMAWeekly.com

After back-to-back weeks of upsets on The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion, one of the favorites reminded everyone that Cinderella stories are rare. Former Invicta FC flyweight champion Barb Ho read news >>

Invicta FC strikes talent-sharing agreement with Japanese stalwart Pancrase

All-female MMA promotion Invicta FC is pairing up with Pancrase to share fighters.Filed under: News read news >>

Will Michelle Waterson be UFC's next reality star on 'The Challenge: Champs vs. Stars'?

• 8 hours ago

UFC fighters are no strangers to reality competitions. Michelle Waterson will be the latest to step out of her fighting comfort zone.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Tecia Torres vs. Michelle Waterson Joins Stacked UFC 218 Lineup | MMAWeekly.com

• 6 hours ago

The rich get richer in Detroit with another huge fight just added to the upcoming UFC 218 card on Dec. 2. No. 5 ranked contender Tecia Torres will get back in action against No. 6 ranked "The Karate read news >>

Tecia Torres vs. Michelle Waterson official for UFC 218 in Detroit

• 6 hours ago

Tecia Torres has wanted to fight Michelle Waterson for some time now, and that’s what she’s getting.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>