The planned booking was revealed on Tuesday’s episode of “UFC Tonight” on Fuel TV, though a specific date for the fight was not mentioned.
Barao won the interim title this past July by outpointing Urijah Faber at UFC 149 after undisputed champion Dominick Cruz pulled out of the bout due to a torn ACL. The Brazilian was then expected to face Cruz in a title unification bout when “The Dominator” returned from knee surgery, but Cruz’s comeback was cut short when he knee failed again last week in training, forcing him back onto the operating table.
“I was doing what I was allowed to do. I was on a good comeback, right on schedule, but apparently it just happened. I was training, and I found out the hard way that the cadaver tendon wasn’t as strong as it should have been at that point,” Cruz said during his “UFC Tonight” appearance. “It got weak, and it failed because it didn’t take to my body as well as it should have. I was in my brace when it occurred. I was doing everything I was allowed to. The cadaver didn’t take to my body, and the cadaver tendon failed and it split. It happens. There is nothing you can do.”
Barao, 25, has not lost in his last 30 outings, with only a 2007 no-contest blemishing his record since he he was defeated in his April 2005 pro debut. The hard-hitting Brazilian joined the UFC last year and has looked razor sharp thus far, besting Cole Escovedo, Brad Pickett, Scott Jorgensen and Faber en route to capturing the interim belt.
McDonald, meanwhile, has not competed since knocking out former World Extreme Cagefighting titlist Miguel Torres at UFC 145, undergoing hand surgery following the bout. Like Barao, “Mayday” has been perfect in his Octagon career thus far, posting four victories against no defeats. Prior to his finish of Torres, the 21-year-old competed thrice last year, besting Edwin Figueroa, Chris Cariaso and Alex Soto.view original article >>
UFC star Nate Diaz said he is not interested in fighting for interim titles after being offered a bout against Tony Ferguson. According to Brett Okamoto of ESPN, Diaz was invited to compete for the i read news >>
Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is not happy with his employers and is threatening to walk away from the sport.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
The UFC could soon have yet another interim title.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
With UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping still not recovered from a knee injury, UFC officials are considering an interim middleweight title fight. read news >>
After a two-fight run as a featherweight, former bantamweight champion Renan Barao appears to be ready to move back to 135 pounds. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Despite Anderson Silva's threats, UFC president Dana White declared there would be no interim title fight for The Spider. read news >>
Is it possible for an interim title fight to carry more electricity than the real thing? That may be just the situation in the UFC middleweight division. With lineal champ Michael Bisping (30-7) on t read news >>
While Michael Bisping is on the mend, top 185-pound contender Yoel Romero and No. 3 ranked Robert Whittaker will fight for an interim belt at UFC 213 on July 8. read news >>
Yoel Romero and Robert Whittaker will fight for the interim middleweight title at UFC 213, but reigning champion Michael Bisping would like to make one thing clear.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Renan Barao's featherweight experiment is over, at leasts for now. The former UFC bantamweight champion will return to 135 pounds at UFC 214. read news >>