#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Bellator 185 #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Kristina Williams #Ramazan Emeev #Sam Alvey #Oskar Piechota

Just minutes after his win over Alan Belcher at UFC 159, Michael Bisping revealed that he will soon go under the knife to repair a neck condition.

“I have a trapped nerve, and it’s called atrophy, which is muscle loss, weakness and numbness in my right arm,” Bisping told Fox Sports following his win at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. “I’ve had that for a while, but it’s progressively getting worse. I saw a surgeon about six weeks before this fight, but there was no way I was going to pull out. I fought Vitor Belfort, Brian Stann and Chael Sonnen with this condition. I don’t like to let the UFC down, and I love what I do.

“I’m going to have surgery now. The surgery isn’t scheduled, but we’ve talked about it. It’s a minor thing. Well, it’s neck surgery, so as minor as that can be, but it’s a routine procedure. Apparently I’ll only be out two or three weeks, and then I’ll be back in the gym. I want to get back in the Octagon as soon as possible.”

Bisping proved to be one step ahead of Belcher in Saturday night’s middleweight co-main event, continually beating “The Talent” to the punch, especially in rounds two and three. Belcher, by contrast, slowed as the fight went on. While the American exchanged with the Brit on relatively even terms in the fight’s first five minutes, Belcher soon found himself absorbing crisp combinations as time waned.

“Without sounding arrogant, that’s what I was planning for, of course. He’s a big middleweight, and I believed I had the speed advantage going in. I think that was obvious tonight,” said Bisping. “I don’t know if I noticed him out of shape, I just noticed I was finding a rhythm more and feeling more comfortable in the fight. As it went on, I could time him, and there was a big difference in the speed. I could see his punches coming a mile away. I could read every move he was making.”

Though Bisping dominated the bout’s final two stanzas, the fight nevertheless ended on an accidental foul, as Bisping inadvertently gouged Belcher in the same eye afflicted by a detached retina more than two years ago. After “The Talent” was deemed unable to continue, the cage-side judges awarded Bisping a technical decision. While the leadup to the middleweight clash was marked by a bevy of trash talk on both sides, Bisping said he genuinely regrets the way the fight ended extended.

“It was a shame I caught him with my thumb there at the end,” said Bisping. “He did get me as well, and I’ve got a little nick [on the bridge of my nose]. It’s an unfortunate business, the eye pokes, but it happens. I don’t think it affected the fight, but I apologized because it was a complete accident.

“Alan is a hell of a performer. Going into this fight there was a lot of talk, but I’ve got nothing but respect for the guy. That’s just me trying to get myself in the zone and ensure a good performance. He’s been around a long time, and he’s a solid opponent. I had to do what I needed to get myself in the right place and make him doubt himself. It’s a huge mental game, and that’s all I was doing. I’m sure he’ll continue to have a great career.”

Galleries

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Former UFC champion Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua undergoes (another) knee surgery

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio Rua has been forced to undergo yet another knee surgery.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bisping joins Conan to talk GSP & UFC 217

Michael Bisping joined Conan last night to discuss his upcoming fight against Georges St-Pierre and much more! Bisping will attempt to defend his middleweight belt for the second time as he and St-Pi read news >>

Michael Bisping: Georges St-Pierre doesn't have balls to fight anyone he thinks he can't beat

UFC middleweight champ Michael Bisping accused ex-welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre of picking fights, while countering his own critics who say he dodges rightful contenders. Filed under: Featured read news >>

Michael Bisping has spies watching GSP, promises first-round KO at UFC 217

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping (30-7 MMA, 20-7 UFC) puts his belt on the line against former welterweight title holder and all-time MMA great Georges St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) in the read news >>

Ahead of UFC 217 press conference with GSP, watch Michael Bisping's best trash-talk

If you’re going to be in Las Vegas next week, you’ve got a chance to see UFC 217’s headliners – and budding rivals – in person.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC middleweight champ Michael Bisping to appear on Wednesday's episode of 'Conan'

UFC middleweight champ Michael Bisping will sit opposite late-night host Conan O’Brien on Wednesday ahead of his UFC 217 main event.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Knee injury, surgery forces Teemu Packalen from UFC Fight night 118 vs. Marcin Held

The UFC’s return to Poland later this month for UFC Fight Night 118 has taken a hit to one of its featured bouts. Filed under: News read news >>

UFC 216 results: Matt Schnell outworks Marco Beltran for decision and much-needed win

Matt Schnell outworked Marco Beltran for 15 minutes to pick up a unanimous decision and his first win in the UFC.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre: 'Water is wet, fire burns, and I'm going to beat Michael Bisping' at UFC 217

Georges St-Pierre boldly guarantees he will beat Michael Bisping for the UFC middleweight title after four years away.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Shoves Michael Bisping During UFC 217 Face-Offs (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

It took Michael Bisping 20 or 30 minutes of needling and placing hands on Georges St-Pierre, but he finally got the reaction that he wanted out of him. read news >>