#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Vengeance Fighting Alliance #Duelo De Giagantes

michael-bisping-30.jpgWith all kinds of focus on the UFC 159 main event between Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen, Michael Bisping steered attention toward the co-feature in a big way.

With many observers wondering what might come next from Sonnen in terms of pre-fight hype, given his propensity for colorful promotion and entertaining speeches, he played the role of complimentary opponent during a Monday call with media members.

But bringing his A game in the talk department was Bisping, who helped increase the level of interest in his fight with Alan Belcher with a mid-call rant.

Bisping (23-5 MMA, 13-5 UFC) and Belcher (18-7 MMA, 9-5 UFC) meet in the co-main event of UFC 159, which takes place Saturday at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

After Belcher responded to a question asking what a win would do for him, Bisping interjected to let the media know he doesn’t see a Belcher win being something that needs to be worried about.

“Let me just add to that,” Bisping said. “A win over me for Alan Belcher will be by far the biggest win of his pathetic career. There you go. No one gives a s— about Alan Belcher.”

When Belcher reminded the Brit that meant he better not lose, Bisping was quick to fire off another shot.

“Hey, bro – I ain’t going to lose to you, man,” Bisping said. “It’s in the bag. It’s a formality. I’ve just got to show up, slap your little face, take my check and go home.”

With much of the focus of the call on Jones-Sonnen, the Bisping-Belcher exchange was short, but sweet.

Belcher said the talk from Bisping, which has grown over the past several weeks leading up to the fight to Monday’s call, at its highest pitch so far, has him amped up.

“It is emotional for me, and that’s when I perform at my highest,” Belcher said. “I have the most pressure on me – I’m the most nervous for this fight ever. The only fights that I’ve ever lost are the fights that I wasn’t very excited for. So this one, I want it worse than any fight in my whole career and I’m focused on it and I’ll perform at my highest.”

Bisping and Belcher both are coming off losses, and Bisping has dropped two of his past three with losses to Sonnen and Vitor Belfort sandwiched around a win over Brian Stann this past September. Belcher lost to Yushin Okami in December to have a four-fight win streak snapped.

And even though Bisping has lobbed some insults Belcher’s way, he still acknowledges that a win over him helps get him back into title contention. Bisping is ranked No. 6 is the latest USA TODAY/MMAjunkie.com rankings, while Belcher is 13. The two are No. 4 and 10, respectively, in the UFC’s rankings.

“I’m a natural competitor,” Bisping said. “A win over Alan Belcher puts me back in the win column. It’s a win over a top 10 opponent. And it gets me back in the mix for the title shot. That’s what I want. And as long as there’s life in my body, I will continue to try and get that title shot. I want to be the world champion.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Michael Bisping)

Galleries

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Unbeaten Rob Wilkinson not stressing out about losing one day ahead of UFC Rotterdam

Coming to the UFC at 11-0, and with nine first-round finishes, Australia’s Rob Wilkinson is ready to show his skills at the next level.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Talita Oliveira not above UFC jitters ahead of last-minute debut: 'I'll be extremely stressed'

Despite a last-minute call to meet Marion Reneau in Rotterdam, Brazil’s Talita de Oliveira was “euphoric” to hear she’d made it to the UFC.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

'UFC on the Fly': behind the scenes with hard-working Leon Edwards before UFC Rotterdam

Go behind the scenes with England’s Leon Edwards ahead of his UFC Fight Night 115 fight in Rotterdam against Bryan Barberena.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko feels great ahead of UFC 215 title match – and has dance moves to show it

Valentina Schevchenko is over Amanda Nunes’ withdrawal from their UFC 213 title encounter: “What happened two months ago was so far away.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

One UFC middleweight standout's take on Georges St-Pierre vs. Michael Bisping

There’s been a fair amount of hand-wringing over the upcoming UFC middleweight title bout between Georges St-Pierre and Michael Bisping, but UFC middleweight Brad Tavares takes no issue with it. File read news >>

UFC Rotterdam Fighter Q&A Replay with Alistair Overeem, Michael Johnson and Volkan Oezdemir | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of Saturday's UFC Fight Night 115, Alistair Overeem, Michael Johnson, and Volkan Oezdemir fielded questions from fans. read news >>

UFC 215's Ketlen Vieira confident but level-headed ahead of 'golden opportunity' vs. Sara McMann

Ahead of her the toughest opponent of her undefeated career, Ketlen Vieira is all respect for onetime title challenger Sara McMann.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Amanda Nunes keeps focus on UFC 215 title fight as Hurricane Irma threatens South Florida home

Amanda Nunes isn’t sure she’ll be able to return to her South Florida home after UFC 215 in Canada.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

A for effort, D- for execution: Michael Bisping tries Valentina Shevchenko's nifty dance moves

UFC middleweight champion and UFC 215 commentator Michael Bisping gave it a solid effort, even if the results left something to be desired.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones' Team Releases Statement Following Failed Drug Test from UFC 214 | MMAWeekly.com

Following news that he failed a drug test administered ahead of his fight with Daniel Cormier at UFC 214, Jon Jones and his team released a statement on Tuesday night. UFC officials confirmed that Jo read news >>