#UFC Fight Night 128 #Kevin Lee #Edson Barboza #Conor McGregor #Frankie Edgar #Cub Swanson #Tony Ferguson #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Jon Jones #UFC Fight Night 57 #UFC 223

Michael Bisping: Georges St-Pierre doesn't have balls to fight anyone he thinks he can't beat

LAS VEGAS – There were injuries, delays, ships leaving and returning to port – the fight between UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping and ex-welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217 was not a lock until August.

But through its ups and downs, Bisping (30-7 MMA, 20-7 UFC) always thought his date with St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) would come, even if the reason wasn’t the most flattering to him.

“I knew this fight would come off, because he hasn’t got the balls to fight anyone that he doesn’t think he can beat, like Anderson Silva, like many other people,” Bisping said today at a news conference in Las Vegas for the Nov. 4 pay-per-view event at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Such a point of view fits in perfectly with the brash Brit’s style, of course. But you could also forgive him if he didn’t genuinely believe it’s true.

During his reign as welterweight champ, interest in a superfight between St-Pierre and Silva went on for so long it took on a life of its own. St-Pierre kept pumping the brakes, maintaining he needed time to properly bulk up before facing Silva. Eventually, the fire underneath the fantasy bout died down. And then, St-Pierre stepped away from the sport after a highly controversial win over Johny Hendricks in 2013.

Since word of the potential Bisping fight surfaced, St-Pierre’s motives for returning to a UFC division in which he never fought, long after the opportunity appeared ripe for the taking, have been amply questioned.

Today, the ex-champ seemed intent to address the doubts. Bisping’s hazing certainly provided an easy opening.

“So, one time I’ve been offered the fight (with Silva) is when I stopped fighting after my fight with Hendricks,” St-Pierre said. “After my fight with Hendricks, (UFC President) Dana (White) called me and said, ‘Do you want to fight Anderson Silva?’ But I didn’t want to fight anybody. Not Silva. You would have put a three-foot midget, and (I wouldn’t want to fight him). I just wanted to take a break. That’s the only time.

“There’s been a lot of talk about fighting, but never has anything significant been proposed. It’s all rumor and talks. If I go up in weight class, I need time to gain weight and adjust myself for that challenge. At that time, I was very busy. I had challenge after challenge. I was fighting all these guys at 170 that were challenging me one after the other. So if I do something, I want to focus on it and do it well. That’s why I’ve been preparing myself for more than six months to fight Bisping. And I put on some weight, and I feel good now, it feels natural, and I’m ready to go.”

Naturally, Bisping was unconvinced.

“He didn’t want to fight because Johny Hendricks hit him in the head so many times, he thought he’d been abducted by aliens,” he shot back. “I’m surprised you’re not wearing a tinfoil hat today to stop the messages coming. Dude, I’m going to hit you so many times, you’re going to think you’re going to disappear on the mothership.”

The middleweight champ is happy to pick at St-Pierre, as he is with any foe who agrees to a fight. But he knows a lot about facing doubters. He’s been written off after multiple high-profile losses. When he finally managed to win the title, critics and potential opponents had a field day when he fought Dan Henderson. Getting credit has never been easy.

“I’ve never avoided a fight in my life,” Bisping said. “And Dana is standing right here. In fact, I accepted the winner of Yoel (Romero) vs. (Robert) Whittaker (at UFC 213). We figured it all out. Prior to them fighting, in the backroom, I accepted the fight with Whittaker or Romero.

“Whittaker won the right, so that means Romero is at the back of the line, and then Whittaker didn’t want to do ‘The Ultimate Fighter’ and injured his knee. So that leaves me without a fight again, and in the meantime, ‘GSP’ grew a pair.”

Whatever ultimately brought them together, Bisping and St-Pierre have something else in common – a big question mark hanging over their next move.

Both stars have talked about retirement as an imminent possibility after UFC 217. Bisping could sail into the horizon with a win over St-Pierre, which would give him wins over two of the sport’s most celebrated and dominant champions. St-Pierre has said he could walk away for good if he loses in New York. Even if he wins, he has only one contractual obligation at middleweight before he’s afforded the opportunity to return to his native division.

One thing is for sure: The sight of the UFC’s former face alongside the once-dogged middleweight hopeful is something fans probably won’t see again.

For more on UFC 217, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• 6 months ago

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Michael Bisping on Conor McGregor: 'Just Lose the F--king Chip on the Shoulder'

Former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping implored Conor McGregor to "lose the f--king chip on [his] shoulder" following the MMA star's arrest in Brooklyn last week. "Just lose the chi read news >>

How Michael Chiesa thinks he factors into top of lightweight division before UFC 223

Michael Chiesa’s goal is to finish 2018 undefeated and as the No. 1 contender, and it starts with taking down Anthony Pettis. read news >>

If Georges St-Pierre returns to UFC, who will be his opponent? A breakdown of his top options

Here’s a stab at decoding Georges St-Pierre’s intentions with a list of his possible targets, including Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov. 1 2 3 …4 read news >>

Michael Bisping 'definitely interested' in UFC-Liverpool for retirement fight, awaits opponent

Michael Bisping has played it cool up until this point, but with two months to go until UFC-Liverpool, he’s putting his chips on the table. read news >>

Michael Bisping 'Definitely Interested' In Retirement Fight at UFC Event in Liverpool | MMAWeekly.com

If the UFC needs to add another marquee fight to the upcoming card in Liverpool, England, Michael Bisping is ready and willing to step up to the challenge. The former UFC middleweight champion has go read news >>

Conor who? Tony Ferguson wants a fight with Georges St-Pierre, not McGregor

If Tony Ferguson wins at UFC 223, a fight with Conor McGregor would be logical. But it’s not the fight in which he’s most interested. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Wants Georges St-Pierre, Predicts Bout with Conor McGregor

The UFC's lightweight division is an absolute mess ahead of UFC 223's Max Holloway vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov bout... read news >>

Who's the best UFC champ in history: Demetrious Johnson or Georges St-Pierre? See the results of your vote

Our 32-fighter tournament picking the best champions in UFC history is in the books, and you’ve voted for the top titleholder of all time. 1 2 3 4 5 …6 read news >>

Dana White: UFC fight would go 'very badly' for boxer Floyd Mayweather

UFC President Dana White thinks there’s a realistic chance Floyd Mayweather could have a UFC fight. Would he win? That’s a different story. read news >>

CES 49's Chris Curtis Plans: 'Everybody Thinks I Should Be in the UFC' | MMAWeekly.com

Chris Curtis (15-5) will defend his title in a 170-pound main event championship match against Jason Norwood (18-4) at CES 49 on Friday in Lincoln, R.I. read news >>

Robert Whittaker Addresses Health, Yoel Romero Rematch Ahead of UFC 225 | MMAWeekly.com

(Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) UFC middleweight champion Robert Whittaker has been sidelined for quite some time, but is scheduled to return at UFC 225, where he will rematch Yoel Romero. At read news >>

Israel Adesanya plans to show Marvin Vettori who the real striker is at UFC on FOX 29

UFC middleweight Israel Adesanya laughs out loud when hearing his UFC on FOX 29 opponent described as a striker. read news >>

Justin Gaethje Criticizes Khabib Nurmagomedov For His Callout of Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC lightweight division might be the most talent stacked weight class in the sport but ever since Conor McGregor became champion in 2016, there's been no clear path for new contenders to earn a read news >>

'Proximity to danger' brings out best in Carlos Condit – and he thinks he's got that in Alex Oliveira

“All in” for UFC on FOX 29, Carlos Condit has reasons to believe things will be different with Alex Oliveira than they were in his last outing. read news >>

Cortney Casey has sights on ex-challenger Karolina Kowalkiewicz with win at UFC on FOX 29

Cortney Casey thinks her uneven MMA record makes her constantly underestimated, but she isn’t fazed: “I fought the top of the top.” read news >>

Brad Tavares confronted Michael Bisping backstage after calling him out in the cage at UFC on FOX 29

Brad Tavares wants a piece of former UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping for his next fight. read news >>