#UFC 217 #Michael Bisping #GSP #Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 55

Michael Bisping’s career is coming to an end soon.

The UFC middleweight champion has long addressed the possibility that he would be retiring from the sport sooner rather than later with only a couple of fights left before he would walk away from mixed martial arts for good.

There’s a distinct possibility that Bisping may even wrap up his career in November after he faces Georges St-Pierre in the main event at UFC 217 in New York, which would serve as his second straight title defense while also facing off with a future Hall of Fame fighter.

That’s part of the reason why those closest to Bisping have advised him to think about retirement in the immediate aftermath of a win because he would finish his career in a historic venue with a victory over arguably one of the greatest fighters of all time.

“My manager says I should retire, he says this should be your last fight. He said there’s no better way and he’s right, there’s no better way than in Madison Square Garden, defending the title, beating a legend like Georges St-Pierre then putting the gloves down in the Octagon. That is the dream. That’s what everybody says,” Bisping said on his “Believe You Me” podcast.

It’s hard to argue with the logic.

At 38, Bisping is already in the latter part of his career and he achieved a lifetime goal when he knocked out Luke Rockhold last June to become UFC middleweight champion. Since then, Bisping has avenged arguably the most devastating loss of his career when he defeated Dan Henderson in his first title defense and now he has the opportunity to headline the biggest UFC card of 2017 against St-Pierre.

It all seems like a perfect way to wrap a bow on his career, but Bisping says there is one more event that could potentially lure him back to the Octagon for another fight.

“I’m kind of torn. I’m going to retire soon and it’s either going to be the GSP fight or….and me and my wife kind of agrees…I want my last fight to be in Manchester [England],” Bisping said. “So there’s a possibility this is going to be my last one or my last one will be my next one against Robert Whittaker in Manchester.”

Whittaker is the current UFC interim middleweight champion after he defeated Yoel Romero in July but then was unable to compete for the remainder of 2017 after suffering a knee injury.

Bisping has talked in the past about retiring in the cage after fighting in his home country of England, but as of now he still hasn’t made up his mind.

The biggest factor for Bisping is being able to go out on top, which is not very common at all when it comes to fighters leaving the sport of MMA.

Even in the situation of his upcoming opponent at UFC 217, Bisping wonders why St-Pierre would return after he left the sport in 2013 as a nine-time defending welterweight champion and now he’s coming back with a chance to tarnish his legacy with a loss in their fight.

“You can’t do it forever and you’ve got to know when to walk away,” Bisping said. “Georges St-Pierre did. He’s the only person to ever do it, he retired as a champion and he should have stayed retired as a champion because he’s coming out of retirement and he’s fighting me. He’s going to lose that fight, I’m assuming he’s going to lose, I’m hoping he’s going to lose but he’s going to lose that fight and that’s going to tarnish his legacy.

“What better way to do it than become the champion and retire as champion. I have a lot of things going on outside the Octagon. Of course health is an issues. I’m also young enough to do other things in my life. I’ve enjoyed being a fighter and I still enjoy being a fighter and I’m truly grateful for all the benefits it’s brought me.”

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• a month ago

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Knockout Radio Live: Looking Ahead to Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

Loading ... . Tune in Wednesday at 3:30 pm ET, for Knockout Radio LIVE! with a look back at UFC Fight Night 118, and a look ahead to UFC Fight Night 119 and Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre; plu read news >>

Michael Bisping on Georges St-Pierre: 'I see more aggression out of my wife' (UFC 217 Media Call) | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping claimed, "I see more aggression out of my wife Christmas shopping than we're going to see out of Georges." read news >>

Georges St-Pierre: Michael Bisping Is 'Begging Me' to Stand and Trade With Him at UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

Georges St-Pierre knows he has a lot of ways to beat Michael Bisping but he's counting on the fact that the middleweight champion only has one real weapon in his arsenal ahead of UFC 217. In the week read news >>

Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre Go Inside the Octagon | MMAWeekly.com

Dan Hardy and John Gooden are back to discuss all things Michael Bisping vs Georges St-Pierre in the latest edition of Inside the Octagon. read news >>

UFC 217 Countdown: Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 217 Countdown goes into the camps of the 6 stars competing at Madison Square Garden in New York City on Nov. 4. read news >>

Robert Whittaker Breaks Down Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre (UFC 217) | MMAWeekly.com

Interim middleweight champion Robert Whittaker shares his thoughts on the main event of UFC 217 between Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre's Middleweight Debut Opposite Michael Bisping is Official Following UFC 217 Weigh-ins | MMAWeekly.com

Georges St-Pierre's middleweight debut opposite Michael Bisping is official following Friday's UFC 217 weigh-ins. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre and Michael Bisping Keep Talking: What a Circus! | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre continue to trade barbs after their press conference. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Chokes Out Michael Bisping to Become Middleweight Champion at UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

Georges St-Pierre blasted Michael Bisping with a vicious counter left hand before finishing the fight with a rear naked choke in the third round. Official result: Georges St-Pierre def. Michael Bispi read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Putting Michael Bisping to Sleep Sends Twitter into a Frenzy | MMAWeekly.com

Georges St-Pierre sent Twitter into a frenzy after he choked Michael Bisping unconscious in the UFC 217 main event after a four-year layoff. read news >>