#UFC Fight Night 126 #Donald Cerrone #Yancy Medeiros #UFC Fight Night 57 #Roy Nelson #Matt Mitrione #Sage Northcutt #Derrick Lewis #Marcin Tybura #Bellator 194

Michael Bisping Explains the Only Way He'll Stick Around After Fighting Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping’s career is coming to an end soon.

The UFC middleweight champion has long addressed the possibility that he would be retiring from the sport sooner rather than later with only a couple of fights left before he would walk away from mixed martial arts for good.

There’s a distinct possibility that Bisping may even wrap up his career in November after he faces Georges St-Pierre in the main event at UFC 217 in New York, which would serve as his second straight title defense while also facing off with a future Hall of Fame fighter.

That’s part of the reason why those closest to Bisping have advised him to think about retirement in the immediate aftermath of a win because he would finish his career in a historic venue with a victory over arguably one of the greatest fighters of all time.

“My manager says I should retire, he says this should be your last fight. He said there’s no better way and he’s right, there’s no better way than in Madison Square Garden, defending the title, beating a legend like Georges St-Pierre then putting the gloves down in the Octagon. That is the dream. That’s what everybody says,” Bisping said on his “Believe You Me” podcast.

It’s hard to argue with the logic.

At 38, Bisping is already in the latter part of his career and he achieved a lifetime goal when he knocked out Luke Rockhold last June to become UFC middleweight champion. Since then, Bisping has avenged arguably the most devastating loss of his career when he defeated Dan Henderson in his first title defense and now he has the opportunity to headline the biggest UFC card of 2017 against St-Pierre.

It all seems like a perfect way to wrap a bow on his career, but Bisping says there is one more event that could potentially lure him back to the Octagon for another fight.

“I’m kind of torn. I’m going to retire soon and it’s either going to be the GSP fight or….and me and my wife kind of agrees…I want my last fight to be in Manchester [England],” Bisping said. “So there’s a possibility this is going to be my last one or my last one will be my next one against Robert Whittaker in Manchester.”

Whittaker is the current UFC interim middleweight champion after he defeated Yoel Romero in July but then was unable to compete for the remainder of 2017 after suffering a knee injury.

Bisping has talked in the past about retiring in the cage after fighting in his home country of England, but as of now he still hasn’t made up his mind.

The biggest factor for Bisping is being able to go out on top, which is not very common at all when it comes to fighters leaving the sport of MMA.

Even in the situation of his upcoming opponent at UFC 217, Bisping wonders why St-Pierre would return after he left the sport in 2013 as a nine-time defending welterweight champion and now he’s coming back with a chance to tarnish his legacy with a loss in their fight.

“You can’t do it forever and you’ve got to know when to walk away,” Bisping said. “Georges St-Pierre did. He’s the only person to ever do it, he retired as a champion and he should have stayed retired as a champion because he’s coming out of retirement and he’s fighting me. He’s going to lose that fight, I’m assuming he’s going to lose, I’m hoping he’s going to lose but he’s going to lose that fight and that’s going to tarnish his legacy.

“What better way to do it than become the champion and retire as champion. I have a lot of things going on outside the Octagon. Of course health is an issues. I’m also young enough to do other things in my life. I’ve enjoyed being a fighter and I still enjoy being a fighter and I’m truly grateful for all the benefits it’s brought me.”

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

• 4 months ago

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Georges St-Pierre's Coach Thinks He'll Be Back... in a Year or Two | MMAWeekly.com

As expected, Georges St-Pierre made an immediate splash in his Octagon return, taking the UFC middleweight championship from around Michael Bisping's waist at UFC 217 last November. As immediate as S read news >>

Michael Bisping Responds to Lyoto Machida Calling Him Out | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping has probably been called out more during his career than just about any other athlete on the roster so hearing his named mentioned by a potential opponent after a fight is nothing new read news >>

Rashad Evans Advises Tyron Woodley Not to Waste His Career Fighting Dana White | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC light heavyweight champ Rashad Evans can relate to welterweight champ Tyron Woodley's back and forth with Dana White, but he has some advice for Woodley. read news >>

John Dodson Explains What Led to the Cancellation of His Fight Against Pedro Munhoz | MMAWeekly.com

The co-main event for Saturday night's UFC Fight Night card in Belem, Brazil between John Dodson and Pedro Munhoz has been scrapped. Munhoz didn't make weight on Friday coming in at 140 pounds — four read news >>

Lyoto Machida Earns Split Decision Over Eryk Anders, Calls Out Michael Bisping | MMAWeekly.com

Lyoto Machida knew he was in a must win situation on Saturday night in front of his hometown crowd and he made the most of his latest main event performance. While it was definitely a back and forth read news >>

Lyoto Machida explains Michael Bisping callout: Fight should've already happened

Former champ Lyoto Machida explains why he specifically requested a matchup with Michael Bisping after UFC Fight Night 125. read news >>

Lyoto Machida Octagon Interview: 'Michael Bisping, I'm Here for You Man!' | MMAWeekly.com

After earning a split decision victory on Saturday, Lyoto Machida discussed the fight and called out Michael Bisping as a potential opponent in the Octagon. read news >>

James Vick Loves Fighting in His Home State of Texas | MMAWeekly.com

James "The Texecutioner" Vick explains how he got his nickname and why he loves fighting in his home state of Texas leading up to Sunday's UFC Fight Night 126 in Austin. read news >>

LFA 33's Kyle Stewart Predicts He'll Be in the UFC This Year | MMAWeekly.com

Kyle Stewart predicts he'll be in the UFC this year, but first faces Jaleel Willis at LFA 33 on Friday. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk 'Very Happy' to See Ronda Rousey Start a New Career in WWE | MMAWeekly.com

Joanna Jedrzejczyk was always a major supporter of Ronda Rousey during her UFC career whether she was champion or not. By all accounts, Rousey is likely done with fighting as she just recently inked read news >>