Maurice Smith is 50 years old, but he believes he can still beat some of the best fighters in the world.

On March 30, he returned to MMA action for the first time in nearly four years, and he didn’t disappoint. The former UFC heavyweight champion picked apart Jorge Cordoba before knocking him out in the third round of their matchup at Resurrection Fighting Alliance 2.

“It was good to get back in there and play the game,” Smith told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “Age seemed to be everybody’s big concern, or the issue with everybody, but for me, it was just another fight. The guy was a tough kid. … He was above his level, but again, his heart definitely matched mine.”

Smith outclassed Cordoba on the feet, but the 28-year-old hung in there for two and a half rounds. Meanwhile Smith stayed patient, and eventually he delivered a head kick for the finish.

“My goal is to win the fight,” Smith said. “Sure, everybody wants to see a knockout and a great brawl, but I like the art of fighting. I don’t like so much all this brawling. If I can beat you on skills that you should have -- you should be able to block or defend -- I’m happy with that. I have a different mindset than probably most fighters that are kill, kill, kill.”

Smith hadn’t fought in MMA since his June 2008 submission loss to Hidehiko Yoshida. He also dropped to 205 pounds to fight Cordoba, which wasn’t easy.

“Getting to that weight for the first time was quite hard,” Smith said. “That was tremendously hard for me. It took me seven hours to lose [the last several pounds], but once I got to the weight class, I wasn’t weak or what have you. But it shouldn’t take seven hours -- that’s what you’ve got to learn from that.”

Now that Smith has stepped back in the cage and scored a win, he wants to keep going. In fact, he expects to fight three more times this year in the RFA. He also thinks that with his experience and his striking skills, he can compete with the top light heavyweights in the sport.

“What’s the point in fighting if you can’t?” he asked. “Listen, I’m not focused on looking for a title necessarily, but I want to fight the best guys there are. Who’s to say that a guy who’s 205 and at the elite level is going to kick my butt? It’s not because of my age that I’m going to lose. … The guy that’s going to beat me is going to beat me because he’s a better fighter, not because of my age.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:21:20).

Dan Hardy believes UFC return could be near: 'Confident I have paperwork' that clears me

• a day ago

LONDON — If Dan Hardy has his way, he’ll be fighting inside the octagon before the end of 2018, explaining to MMAjunkie that a team of the United Kingdom’s best cardiologists have now cleared him to read news >>

Tyron Woodley Says His Adjustments are Easier Than Stephen Thompson's (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Welterweight champion Tyron Woodley believes the adjustments he has to make are easier than Stephen Thompson's heading into their UFC 209 rematch. read news >>

Tony Ferguson: 'Poor bastard' Conor McGregor has never defended a title 'in his entire life'

Tony Ferguson is confident he’s going to defeat Khabib Nurmagomedov for the interim UFC lightweight title at UFC 209. Once that’s done, he’s going after undisputed champ Conor McGregor – assuming he’ read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Aljamain Sterling: People will be very surprised by my process since first loss

DENVER – Aljamain Sterling believes fans are going to see a different fighter than the one that suffered his first career loss eight months ago when he returns to the octagon on Saturday at UFC on FO read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Aljamain Sterling: People will be very surprised by my progress since first loss

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Aljamain Sterling believes fans are going to see a different fighter than the one that suffered his first career loss eight months ago when he returns to the octagon on Saturday at read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko: I Am Very Confident in My Power (UFC on FOX 23) | MMAWeekly.com

Though she's not as boisterous as her UFC on FOX 23 opponent, Valentina Shevchenko is confident as she prepares to step in the cage with Julianna Pena. read news >>

Will Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather Happen? 'Absolutely,' Says Boxing Great | MMAWeekly.com

Floyd Mayweather is confident a fight with Conor McGregor will happen. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

Manager says Gegard Mousasi's UFC 210 bout not in jeopardy, but UFC monitoring situation

Gegard Mousasi’s manager is confident the UFC middleweight won’t be kept from fighting ex-champ Chris Weidman at UFC 210. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Jessica Andrade believes title shot looms with win over Angela Hill

Jessica Andrade believes she’s close to a strawweight title shot, and that a win on Saturday might put her over the top. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>