#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Michael Bisping #Cody Garbrandt #Nunes vs. Rousey

Maurice Smith is 50 years old, but he believes he can still beat some of the best fighters in the world.

On March 30, he returned to MMA action for the first time in nearly four years, and he didn’t disappoint. The former UFC heavyweight champion picked apart Jorge Cordoba before knocking him out in the third round of their matchup at Resurrection Fighting Alliance 2.

“It was good to get back in there and play the game,” Smith told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “Age seemed to be everybody’s big concern, or the issue with everybody, but for me, it was just another fight. The guy was a tough kid. … He was above his level, but again, his heart definitely matched mine.”

Smith outclassed Cordoba on the feet, but the 28-year-old hung in there for two and a half rounds. Meanwhile Smith stayed patient, and eventually he delivered a head kick for the finish.

“My goal is to win the fight,” Smith said. “Sure, everybody wants to see a knockout and a great brawl, but I like the art of fighting. I don’t like so much all this brawling. If I can beat you on skills that you should have -- you should be able to block or defend -- I’m happy with that. I have a different mindset than probably most fighters that are kill, kill, kill.”

Smith hadn’t fought in MMA since his June 2008 submission loss to Hidehiko Yoshida. He also dropped to 205 pounds to fight Cordoba, which wasn’t easy.

“Getting to that weight for the first time was quite hard,” Smith said. “That was tremendously hard for me. It took me seven hours to lose [the last several pounds], but once I got to the weight class, I wasn’t weak or what have you. But it shouldn’t take seven hours -- that’s what you’ve got to learn from that.”

Now that Smith has stepped back in the cage and scored a win, he wants to keep going. In fact, he expects to fight three more times this year in the RFA. He also thinks that with his experience and his striking skills, he can compete with the top light heavyweights in the sport.

“What’s the point in fighting if you can’t?” he asked. “Listen, I’m not focused on looking for a title necessarily, but I want to fight the best guys there are. Who’s to say that a guy who’s 205 and at the elite level is going to kick my butt? It’s not because of my age that I’m going to lose. … The guy that’s going to beat me is going to beat me because he’s a better fighter, not because of my age.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:21:20).

Comments

Roy Nelson Wants a Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix Tournament | MMAWeekly.com

Roy Nelson never got the chance to compete in PRIDE Fighting Championships, but he's made no secret that he was a massive fan of the once great mixed martial arts organization. One of the staples of read news >>

Patricky Freire says he should get title shot before Michael Chandler

Bellator lightweight Patricky “Pitbull” Freire believes he’s earned the right to cut the line of contenders at 155 pounds.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Mueller believes she can be champ

“I feel like I’m so blessed that I found MMA and realized this is my calling,” she said. “I feel like I’m not just gonna be good at this; I truly believe that I’m going to be great and going to be a read news >>

Crowder believes fighting for the fans is most important

“The fans are the most important, that’s who we’re out there fighting for,” Crowder said. “Without them, we’re beating each other up for no reason. You want to have a good fan base, you want people f read news >>

Conor McGregor Believes He'd Beat Floyd Mayweather in a Rematch | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is a man who learns from his mistakes. Much like avenging his loss to Nate Diaz in March 2016 by returning with a victory five months later in the rematch, McGregor has that same feeli read news >>

Kevin Lee: Tony Ferguson's toughness just means he'll 'take a longer ass-whooping' at UFC 216

Kevin Lee believes Tony Ferguson is done evolving as a fighter, “and if you stop evolving, you start dying.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216: Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee Are Auditioning for a Conor McGregor Fight

Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee will compete on Saturday at UFC 216 for a chance at MMA's richest prize. And no, that doesn't mean the UFC's interim lightweight title. That makeshift championship will be read news >>

UFC 216's Fabricio Werdum: I deserve title shot with impressive win over Derrick Lewis

Fabricio Werdum believes an impressive win vs. Derrick Lewis at UFC 216 should get him the next shot at heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Kevin Lee to Conor McGregor: 'This is for the Real Lightweight Championship' | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee believes his title fight with Tony Ferguson is for the true lightweight championship and it will reduce the importance of Conor McGregor's belt. read news >>

Dana White Confident Cris Cyborg vs. Holly Holm Will Happen | MMAWeekly.com

Cris "Cyborg" Justino didn't seem very happy with the latest offer for her to face Holly Holm later this year but UFC president Dana White is confident they'll get a deal done. The latest comes direc read news >>