#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #DWTNCS #UFC 215 #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #Conor McGregor

Vladimir Matyushenko (left) wants to test Jason Brilz’s stand-up at UFC 129. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Vladimir Matyushenko likes his chances on the feet against UFC 129 opponent Jason Brilz. “The Janitor” also likes his chances of forcing a standup fight when they meet April 30 at the Rogers Centre in Toronto.

“He’s a good ground-and-pounder, but I can defend it very well and keep him on the feet and make it a striking match that will be awesome,” Matyushenko said recently on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I’ve been training my striking skills for a while now and I couldn’t show it. I think the fans are expecting me to do it and all my friends [are too]. I kind of want to show it to myself that I can do it. I do it in sparring and training all the time, but I wish I can show it on the stage in the cage.”

The stage will be a big one in Toronto with the UFC reportedly selling 55,000 tickets for the event. If an enormous audience isn’t enough to get inside a fighter’s head, Matyushenko is expecting Brilz’s layoff to affect him.

“Not fighting for a year, it kind of puts you in a situation where you start getting nervous and stuff like that. It’s the mental preparation that’s a big deal,” Matyushenko said. “I think he’s going to be nervous.”

Brilz hasn’t fought since May 2010. However, that last performance was an impressive one against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC 114. Brilz dropped a controversial split decision but put himself on the map in the light heavyweight division.

Matyushenko had planned on fighting him last November, but a back injury removed Brilz from the bout.

“I was ready for him back then. I’ve almost been training for him for half a year now,” Matyushenko said. “I think it’s a good matchup. He’s a good wrestler. … It’s kind of hard to say I know him inside and out because first of all, he hasn’t fought in almost a year. Things can change. He may change his technique in that time. That’s kind of a hard aspect of preparation for this fight.”

Matyushenko fought replacement Alexandre Ferreira instead in November, stopping him in the first round. The win was Matyushenko’s fourth in five fights. The lone loss in that stretch came to Jon Jones, who won the UFC light heavyweight title in March.

“I got in a bad position and I didn’t get out of there fast enough,” Matyushenko explained. “Jones just used it well. It looked like he did his homework and he did exactly the same thing that I usually do to other fighters.”

Although complimentary of Jones, Matyushenko said he’d “definitely” like another crack at the titleholder. He’d use a different strategy in a rematch.

“You have to put the pressure on him and actually get in exchanges and get in a fight,” Matyushenko said. “You saw if he doesn’t get hit, he’s got a long reach and he uses that as an advantage. You have to bring the fight to him. It’s not easy. It’s going to be hard, but I think that’s the only possibility.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 43:35).

Comments

UFC 215 results: Alex White picks apart, devastates Mitch Clarke on the feet

In his second fight in the UFC’s lightweight division, former featherweight Alex White shined, dominating Mitch Clarke on the feet en route to a second-round stoppage.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Mitch Clarke Announces Retirement from MMA Following Loss at UFC 215 | MMAWeekly.com

Following a tough second round TKO loss on Saturday night at UFC 215, Mitch Clarke announced his retirement from mixed martial arts. It was an emotional moment for the veteran fighter as he was compe read news >>

Mitch Clarke gave a very Canadian retirement speech after UFC 215 loss

Mitch Clarke managed a retirement speech that was as about as gracious and polite – and, let’s just say it, Canadian – as any we’ve ever heard.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215 results: Rick Glenn overwhelms Gavin Tucker, who earns no mercy from referee

Eleven-year veteran Rick Glenn turned in one of the best performances of his career, battering a previously undefeated Gavin Tucker.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Kajan Johnson Lands a Ragin' Knockout Blow! (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Ragin' Kajan Johnson's knockout victory over Adriano Martins at UFC 215 on Saturday in Edmonton. read news >>

UFC 215 results: Sarah Moras cranks Ashlee Evans-Smith's arm for first-round win

After more than two years away from the octagon, unheralded underdog Sarah Moras shocked Ashlee Evans-Smith with a gutsy first-round submission.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

… (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from .... at UFC 215 on Saturday in Edmonton. UFC 215 took place on Saturday, Sept. 9, at read news >>

Alex White Retires Mitch Clarke (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Alex White's victory over Mitch Clarke at UFC 215 on Saturday in Edmonton. read news >>

Ketlen Vieira Upsets Sara McMann to Join Ranks of Bantamweight Elite (UFC 215 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Ketlen Vieira became one of the bantamweight elite by taking out former title contender Sara McMann on Saturday at UFC 215 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. RELATED > UFC 215: Nunes vs. Shevchenko 2 Live read news >>

UFC 215 results: Ketlen Vieira first survives, then submits Sara McMann

Undefeated Brazilian contender Ketlen Vieira earned the biggest win of her career, scoring a gutsy submission win over Sara McMann in impressive fashion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>