#UFC Fight Night 126 #Donald Cerrone #Conor McGregor #Yancy Medeiros #Derrick Lewis #UFC Fight Night 57 #UFC Australia #Jeremy Stephens #Sage Northcutt

Matt Schnell knew UFC job was at stake in 'loser-leaves-town' match at UFC 216

LAS VEGAS – After losing his first two UFC fights, Matt Schnell had no doubt in his mind his spot on the roster was at stake at UFC 216. Fortunately, the fight with Marco Beltran went his way.

“This was a loser leaves town match,” Schnell told reporters after his win. “I don’t think that was a secret to anybody. Hat’s off to Marco – he’s a tough kid; I’m sure he’ll be OK. But I had no doubt if I lost this fight I would be on the chopping block.”

Schnell (10-4 MMA, 1-2 UFC) beat Beltran (8-5 MMA, 3-3 UFC) by unanimous decision in their flyweight bout on the UFC 216 undercard, which took place Saturday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas with the main card on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and UFC Fight Pass.

After a stint on “The Ultimate Fighter 24,” Schnell suffered two losses to kick off his official career in the UFC. He couldn’t pinpoint exactly why things were going his way, but knew he needed to deliver a “safe” performance and get the win at UFC 216. That’s essentially what happened, because he outworked Beltran over the course of three rounds.

“I always prepare to be the winner on the night of these fights,” Schnell said. “I can’t speak as to what’s happened in the past; I give maximum effort and I try my best and that’s all I can do. But I belong here in the UFC. I think I’m one of the best flyweights in the world and it’s just a matter of continuing to get comfortable and continuing to get better.”

Although the low moments and losses were a struggle to get through, Schnell believes he rightly came out the end as a better fighter. He said he learned a loss from the challenging experiences, but pointed to his strong support system as an aid to help him through the rough patch.

“As someone who holds himself at a high standard it’s difficult to take those lumps, but this is the sport and this is the game,” Schnell said. “You’ve got to convince yourself. I’ve surrounded myself with great people and my coaches, my friends, my family – they believe in me. I’m not doing this to prove anybody wrong, I’m doing this to prove somebody right.”

With some momentum and confidence back on his side, Schnell said he hopes to start new going forward. He said he regards himself as one of the top 125-pound fighters in the world, and he intends to prove as much in his future performances.

“This is my 30th fight: 15 professional fights, 13 amateur fights, two fights on ‘The Ultimate Fighter,'” Schnell said. “I know it’s cliche, but I think we’re just scratching the surface here.”

For complete coverage of UFC 216, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Comments

Expect to See the 'WEC Kick-Ass Cowboy Cerrone' at UFC Austin | MMAWeekly.com

For the first time in his 12-year mixed martial arts career Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone will make the walk to the cage on a three-fight losing streak. read news >>

What's to become of you, Mark Hunt?

A near win turned into a loss for Mark Hunt at UFC 221, but it almost doesn’t seem to matter since he’s as determined as ever to fight on. read news >>

Ex-UFC champs Vitor Belfort, Lyoto Machida agree to meet at UFC 224 in Rio

Vitor Belfort is set to meet Lyoto Machida in what is expected to be “The Phenom’s” retirement fight at UFC 224. read news >>

Jake Matthews doesn't fault Li Jingliang for eye-gouge at UFC 221

Jake Matthews has no hard feelings for Li Jingliang despite a blatant eye-gouge in their UFC 221 fight. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Teases Return to the Boxing Ring or the UFC Octagon | MMAWeekly.com

Floyd Mayweather is the master at staying in the spotlight even when he's supposedly retired. Over the past few weeks, the 50-0 boxer has been dropping videos on social media that show him stepping i read news >>

Yoel Romero Did Not Suffer Broken Leg at UFC 221 | MMAWeekly.com

Yoel Romero won't be sidelined by a broken leg after all. On Saturday night following his jaw-rattling knockout against Luke Rockhold at UFC 221, Romero suspected that he suffered a broken leg in the read news >>

Yancy Medeiros 'Looking to Finish' Donald Cerrone | MMAWeekly.com

Welterweight Yancy Medeiros is planning to finish Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone in his first ever UFC event as a headliner at UFC Austin on Sunday. read news >>

Sergio Pettis calls out UFC 221 winner Jussier Formiga

Despite being stifled on the mat in his most recent bout, Sergio Pettis wants a matchup against one of the best grapplers at flyweight next. read news >>

Things Get Heated at UFC 221 Weigh-ins as Yoel Romero Misses Weight (Video)

The athletes competing on Saturday's UFC 221 pay-per-view weighed in on Friday in Perth, Australia. See how the fighters looked on the scales. read news >>

Due to Humberto Bandenay's visa issues, Brandon Davis steps in at UFC-Austin

Brandon Davis apparently isn’t wasting any time trying to rebound from a UFC-debut loss a few weeks ago. read news >>