#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Fabricio Werdum #Conor McGregor

LAS VEGAS – After losing his first two UFC fights, Matt Schnell had no doubt in his mind his spot on the roster was at stake at UFC 216. Fortunately, the fight with Marco Beltran went his way.

“This was a loser leaves town match,” Schnell told reporters after his win. “I don’t think that was a secret to anybody. Hat’s off to Marco – he’s a tough kid; I’m sure he’ll be OK. But I had no doubt if I lost this fight I would be on the chopping block.”

Schnell (10-4 MMA, 1-2 UFC) beat Beltran (8-5 MMA, 3-3 UFC) by unanimous decision in their flyweight bout on the UFC 216 undercard, which took place Saturday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas with the main card on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and UFC Fight Pass.

After a stint on “The Ultimate Fighter 24,” Schnell suffered two losses to kick off his official career in the UFC. He couldn’t pinpoint exactly why things were going his way, but knew he needed to deliver a “safe” performance and get the win at UFC 216. That’s essentially what happened, because he outworked Beltran over the course of three rounds.

“I always prepare to be the winner on the night of these fights,” Schnell said. “I can’t speak as to what’s happened in the past; I give maximum effort and I try my best and that’s all I can do. But I belong here in the UFC. I think I’m one of the best flyweights in the world and it’s just a matter of continuing to get comfortable and continuing to get better.”

Although the low moments and losses were a struggle to get through, Schnell believes he rightly came out the end as a better fighter. He said he learned a loss from the challenging experiences, but pointed to his strong support system as an aid to help him through the rough patch.

“As someone who holds himself at a high standard it’s difficult to take those lumps, but this is the sport and this is the game,” Schnell said. “You’ve got to convince yourself. I’ve surrounded myself with great people and my coaches, my friends, my family – they believe in me. I’m not doing this to prove anybody wrong, I’m doing this to prove somebody right.”

With some momentum and confidence back on his side, Schnell said he hopes to start new going forward. He said he regards himself as one of the top 125-pound fighters in the world, and he intends to prove as much in his future performances.

“This is my 30th fight: 15 professional fights, 13 amateur fights, two fights on ‘The Ultimate Fighter,'” Schnell said. “I know it’s cliche, but I think we’re just scratching the surface here.”

For complete coverage of UFC 216, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Comments

Michael Bisping, Jorge Masvidal get into profane altercation at UFC 217 fighters' hotel

Jorge Masvidal went into UFC 217 media day with Michael Bisping on his mind, and things got ugly when they crossed paths.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

TJ Dillashaw Beats Cody Garbrandt Via TKO to Win Bantamweight Title at UFC 217

For the second time in his career, TJ Dillashaw is the champion of the UFC's bantamweight division. The 31-year-old reclaimed his throne by beating Cody Garbrandt via second-round TKO in the co-main read news >>

Eric Shelton knew he was fighting for job at UFC Fight Night 121, beyond relieved to keep it

• a day ago

Eric Shelton needed three tries to get his first win, but the important thing is that he saved his job at UFC Fight Night 121.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

John Lineker gets wish, steps in to fight Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219

• 7 hours ago

Jimmie Rivera has a replacement foe, and John Lineker has the fight he wants at UFC 219.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dominick Cruz Out; John Lineker Now Faces Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

• 7 hours ago

Following an injury to former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz, John Lineker has stepped up to face Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 in Las Vegas on Dec. 30. UFC officials announced the matchup on Tuesday read news >>

Adam Wieczorek critical of UFC debut win at UFC Fight Night 121

• a day ago

In theory, Adam Wieczorek’s UFC debut was a success, but that’s far from the truth in reality.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Georges St-Pierre: 'My entourage told me it was a bad idea' to fight Michael Bisping at UFC 217

• 11 hours ago

Georges St-Pierre admits there was some conflict within his team regarding his comeback vs. Michael Bisping at UFC 217.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jake Matthews not thrilled with win at UFC-Sydney, but believes welterweight is his home

It wasn’t very smooth sailing for Jake Matthews on Saturday night in front of his home fans. But a win is a win is a win. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bryan Caraway out at UFC-Fresno, Luke Sanders needs new opponent

• a day ago

Injury has forced Bryan Caraway out of a planned contest with Luke Sanders, leaving UFC officials on the search for a bantamweight foe.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Cris Cyborg, Holly Holm Will Fight at UFC 219, Likely to Be Main Event

Holly Holm will take on Cris "Cyborg" Justino at UFC 219, according to Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times. Cyborg will defend her recently acquired women's featherweight title in what will likely read news >>