#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #UFC 215

Matt Mitrione needed little by way of publicity to hype his appearance on Season 10 of “The Ultimate Fighter.”

Having been a former pro football player for the NFL’s New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings, Mitrione was already a commodity of interest, but since making his appearance on the show, he’s proven himself more hope than hype.

Matt Mitrione and Joey Beltran at UFC 119

Matt Mitrione and Joey Beltran at UFC 119

In three fights under the UFC banner, Mitrione has gone undefeated, finishing off two of his opponents. In return, he has been rewarded for his efforts by being given a spot near the top of the next installment of UFC Fight for the Troops on Jan. 22.

“I think from my time on TUF to now, I think I’ve done pretty well with things,” Mitrione told MMAWeekly.com. “I haven’t lost in front of a million people, so that’s not too bad.

“I’ve found that I’m good at some things and have a whole lot of room to develop the things that I’m good at, and a lot more to develop the things I suck at.”

One of the areas Mitrione feels he’s improved most on in his time in MMA is knowing the right time to apply his strength in a fight.

“I’d say I’ve probably made the most improvement in muscle control,” stated Mitrione. “You can’t always swing as hard as you want to; you sometimes have to gauge it.

“I’m at that point now that I understand when it’s time for the big shot and when to go for the finish, or when it’s time to pot-shot. I think that’s the craft I’ve developed the most.”

On the flipside, Mitrione admits that his ground game is still a work in progress, but he’s understanding the nuances of it more and more.

“Wrestling and jiu-jitsu are games of centimeters, and if you don’t know this exact maneuver or this exact counter, you can go from escaping something relatively painlessly to fighting your ass off to catch your breath to breaking something,” he said.

All of Mitrione’s hard work will be put to the test as he takes on returning Canadian Tim Hague.

“I think Tim’s a much better fighter than he’s been able to show in the UFC,” commented Mitrione. “Personally, I think he beat (Chris) Tuchscherer (at UFC 109) and I think he’s looked good in his last two fights – both first-round knockouts.

“He’s a good wrestler, scrambles well and is a good jiu-jitsu guy, so I think it will be a good, fun test for me. I think at least we’ll get the troops up on their feet with the show we put on, that’s for damn sure.”

A win would put Mitrione at the top of the up-and-coming fighters in the heavyweight division. Still, even with his highly publicized rise in MMA and his actions in the cage backing him, he understands he is still a developing fighter and will have to go that route over the next year or so.

“It’s really true for me in this situation, because I’m so new to all this,” he admitted. “There’s a lot I’ve got to be very careful in what I ask for and wish for.

“I want to fight very, very good competition. Am I ready to fight upper echelon, top-tier talent? I don’t know. That’s what I want to find out. I would love those challenges, but unfortunately it is one step at a time for me.”

Having proved himself more than just a crossover flash in the pan, Mitrione can continue his ascension towards becoming a legitimate contender with a win at UFC Fight for the Troops on Jan. 22.

“I’d just like to say I appreciate the interest from the fans, and I’m flattered that people would want to have their name on my shorts, so thank you everybody,” he stated, referring to the sponsors that support him.

“My whole family has been involved in the military in some form or fashion my whole life, so I’m honored to be part of it, and I can’t wait to show that we care about the troops and put on a damn good show for everyone.”

Galleries

Matt Mitrione Fights

• 2 months ago

Comments

Dana White reveals plans for Jon Jones vs. Stipe Miocic at UFC 218 before failed drug test

UFC President Dana White said the plan was for Jon Jones to fight heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic at UFC 218 before Jones’ failed drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Reebok didn't flub Demetrious Johnson's T-shirt; UFC champ plans on changing his nickname

It looked like the UFC’s official apparel partner flubbed again with Demetrious Johnson’s nickname. Not so, says “Mighty Mouse” (for now).Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UF read news >>

Demetrious Johnson plans to keep adding to UFC title defense record – because why would he stop at 11?

Champ Demetrious Johnson believes he still has plenty of competition in the UFC flyweight position.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC champ Amanda Nunes thinks she won 4 of 5 rounds, plans to take off rest of 2017

UFC women’s bantamweight champ Amanda Nunes has no doubt she dominated Valentina Shevchenko, winning four of five rounds in their rematch at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Luke Rockhold Plans Move to Light Heavyweight After Daniel Cormier Retires | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold has some unfinished business in the UFC middleweight division, but it doesn't sound like the former champion plans on staying at 185 pounds that much longer. On Saturday night, Rockhold read news >>

UFC-Japan broadcast plans set for FXX, including Alan Jouban's analyst debut

• a day ago

UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan this weekend will feature the in-studio debut of a new fight analyst.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Controversial Judge from Canelo vs. Golovkin Pulled from UFC 216 Duties | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

A scoring controversy surrounding the boxing match this past weekend between Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and Gennady "GGG" Golovkin has resulted in a judging change for the upcoming UFC 216 card in Las Veg read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Trainer Says There's a '50-50' Chance She Fights in UFC Again

• a day ago

Ronda Rousey's trainer, Edmond Tarverdyan, told the MMA Hour on Monday that he believes the UFC superstar may fight again, giving her a 50-50 chance to return to the Octagon. "It's going to be her de read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping: Georges St-Pierre fight could be my last – win or lose

• a day ago

“There’s a lot of people saying, ‘Mike, you should retire,'” and Michael Bisping is giving it serious consideration.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping Might Retire After Fighting Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is considering retirement after he fights Georges St-Pierre. read news >>