#UFC Fight Night 126 #Donald Cerrone #Yancy Medeiros #UFC Fight Night 57 #Derrick Lewis #Marcin Tybura #Sage Northcutt #Thiago Alves #Curtis Millender #Bellator 194

Matt Brown after UFC-Norfolk knockout win: Retirement decision can wait until later

NORFOLK, Va. – The question of whether Matt Brown’s highlight-reel knockout of Diego Sanchez at UFC Fight Night 120 will be his last will have to wait to be answered.

Brown isn’t ready to make the call yet, despite announcing that Saturday’s appearance would be his last in the octagon.

“To be honest, I’m not even thinking about it right now,” Brown told MMAjunkie after his FS1-televised win at Ted Constant Convocation Center in Norfolk, Va. “It’s not even really a thought in my mind. I’m thinking about enjoying tonight, and we’ll talk about it later.”

In the cage after his win, Brown (21-16 MMA, 14-10 UFC) said he would discuss the subject of retirement with friends and family before making a final decision. Until the final weeks prior to the fight, that appeared to be made. But then he walked back his declaration that he would call it a career after his meeting with Sanchez (27-11 MMA, 16-11 UFC).

A stellar training camp made Brown reconsider his end date. But there were also plenty of people telling him he shouldn’t hang it up.

“I’ve definitely had more people tell me not to retire than to retire,” Brown said. “But nobody other than me and my family really has any bearing on that – and close friends. So I’m not even going to allow anybody else’s opinions to get into my mind like that.”

Brown’s win not only added another impressive win to his resume. It also snapped a losing skid that likely motivated his decision to give himself one final chance of turning things around.

“Ending (the skid) feels good, but I felt like I needed a finish, because I wasn’t getting the job done, Brown said. “I had to at least show myself that I’m better than I’ve been fighting.”

Now that he’s done that, it’s hard to imagine Brown deciding he’s finished. But that’s a decision he’ll make for himself.

For complete coverage of UFC Fight Night 120, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Diego Sanchez Fights

• 10 months ago

Matt Brown Fights

• 3 months ago

Comments

Uriah Hall may be forced up to light heavyweight after UFC-St. Louis weight snafu, ABC boss says

After a weight-cutting snafu in St. Louis that he says put his life in danger, UFC middleweight Uriah Hall may have no choice but 205. read news >>

With added drive for UFC-Belem, ex-champ Lyoto Machida isn't thinking about retirement

Former champ Lyoto Machida hasn’t forgotten about his belt aspirations, but says it’s too soon to think of title shots at the moment. read news >>

Alhassan hits back at Boo Boys after UFC 220 win

Alhassan told KweséESPN about the disrespect he felt after the first fight in December, when he felt he couldn't celebrate his victory. That fight was stopped via TKO in the first round, much to the read news >>

UFC on FOX 29 official for Glendale with Justin Gaethje-Dustin Poirier, Matt Brown-Carlos Condit

UFC on FOX 29, featuring a Justin Gaethje vs. Dustin Poirier main event, is official for April 14 in Arizona. read news >>

'Jacare' Souza after UFC on FOX 27 rematch win: Derek Brunson got better, 'but I got way better'

Derek Brunson claimed ahead of the rematch that he’d improved more than Ronaldo Souza, but “Jacare” proved that was false. read news >>

UFC 220 winner Dustin Ortiz fine if T.J. Dillashaw gets flyweight title shot

After UFC 220 brought him a second straight win, flyweight Dustin Ortiz is looking for an opponent that will propel him forward. read news >>

UFC Fight Pass to stream boxing legend Roy Jones Jr.'s retirement fight

The end is near for boxing legend Roy Jones Jr. – and you can catch it on UFC Fight Pass. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Still Struggling to Talk About UFC Losses, Addresses Retirement from MMA | MMAWeekly.com

It's been more than a year since Ronda Rousey last stepped foot in the UFC Octagon but she's still not ready to address her loss to Amanda Nunes much less reflect on her previous defeat to Holly Holm read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Plans to Make Conor McGregor Earn Title Shot after UFC 223 | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov says that he will be fighting for the undisputed title at UFC 223 but if Conor McGregor wants a shot, he's going to have to get in line. read news >>

Lyoto Machida, Eryk Anders pose for backstage photo after UFC Fight Night 125

Keeping with what seems to be a growing UFC tradition, Lyoto Machida and Eryk Anders crossed paths backstage after UFC Fight Night 125. read news >>