Referee Steve Mazzagatti may or may not have intervened too quickly on Jake Ellenberger’s behalf Friday at “The Ultimate Fighter 15” Finale, but regardless Martin Kampmann doesn’t feel it affected the outcome of the fight.

“At first I thought maybe it was a little bit early,” Kampmann told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “Because I don’t like early stoppages at all. I like letting them go as much as possible. I thought it looked a little early, but when I saw the replay, it didn’t look like [Ellenberger] was doing much defense. He was just kind of curling up on his side. I don’t think it would have been much different if [Mazzagatti] gave him a couple of extra seconds. I had plenty of elbows left.”

The finish came 1:40 into the second round. Kampmann had hurt Ellenberger with a right hand and dropped him with a knee from the clinch. However, in the first round, it was Kampmann who found himself on his back after eating a left hook.

“I would have been pissed if [Mazzagatti] had tried to stop the fight on my first knockdown,” Kampmann said. “That was just a flash knockdown. I was still going. I was still moving as soon as I landed on my ass. I wasn’t out. I think he did a good job letting it go there.”

If it were up to Kampmann, Mazzagatti would have given Ellenberger a little bit longer to recover too. That doesn’t mean he necessarily disagrees with the stoppage, though. He just doesn’t want it to take away from what proved to be a dramatic comeback win.

“It sucks for me to hear people complain about it because I feel I was in the best position possible,” Kampmann said. “I would have happily let the fight go on for a little bit longer because [Ellenberger] was just turned up on his side and he wasn’t really doing any defense at all. I don’t like when people try to take away from my victory.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:30:36).

Amanda Nunes offers apology to Ronda Rousey for post-fight UFC 207 comments

Amanda Nunes didn’t mince many words after she tore through Ronda Rousey in December to defend the UFC women’s bantamweight title. But now she’s walking some of them back a little.Filed under: News, read news >>

Dennis Bermudez didn't overlook 'Korean Zombie,' thinks stoppage may have been a bit early

HOUSTON – Dennis Bermudez had good reason not to overlook Chan Sung Jung in Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 headliner.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Mike Jackson to CM Punk: 'Let's see who the real can is'

Mike Jackson didn’t show up to this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 event to push a fight with Phil “CM Punk” Brooks. He was just there to work.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Patrick Cote wants to finally get down with Jake Ellenberger at UFC 210 in Buffalo

Patrick Cote may be turning 37 later this month, but that doesn’t mean he’s ready to slow down and call it quits on his MMA career. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 208 results: 'Jacare' Souza gets night's first stoppage, taps Tim Boetsch with kimura

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Ronaldo Souza made easy work of Tim Boetsch – once they hit the mat. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Criticizes Main Event UFC 208 Referee | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White didn't pull any punches in his assessment of the referee's performance in the UFC 208 main event on Saturday night in Brooklyn, N.Y. read news >>

Holly Holm Sees a Rematch with Germaine de Randamie as 'Warranted' | MMAWeekly.com

Holly Holm’s evening at UFC 208 didn’t end like she wanted. She thought she won a five-round fight and would be crowned featherweight champion. read news >>

Cornerman rushes in to rescue fighter locked in guillotine choke after referee's blunder

At a Super Fight League event in India on Friday, a bout between Asha Roka and Hannah Kampf ended when a cornerman rushed into the cage to ensure the fight was stopped because of a referee’s blunder. read news >>

Derrick Lewis appreciates referee's hesitation to stop UFC Fight Night 105 win over Travis Browne

Derrick Lewis did not ease up on Travis Browne after knocking him out in the main event of UFC Fight Night 105 on Sunday at Scotiabank Centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.Filed under: News, UFC, V read news >>

Thiago Santos: UFC Fight Night 105 stoppage wasn't early, came 'perfectly at the right time'

HALIFAX – Thiago Santos said he doesn’t understand those labeling his UFC Fight Night 105 win over Jack Marshman as an early stoppage.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>