#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Bellator 185 #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #MMA Rocks #KSW 40 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Kristina Williams #Conor McGregor

Referee Steve Mazzagatti may or may not have intervened too quickly on Jake Ellenberger’s behalf Friday at “The Ultimate Fighter 15” Finale, but regardless Martin Kampmann doesn’t feel it affected the outcome of the fight.

“At first I thought maybe it was a little bit early,” Kampmann told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “Because I don’t like early stoppages at all. I like letting them go as much as possible. I thought it looked a little early, but when I saw the replay, it didn’t look like [Ellenberger] was doing much defense. He was just kind of curling up on his side. I don’t think it would have been much different if [Mazzagatti] gave him a couple of extra seconds. I had plenty of elbows left.”

The finish came 1:40 into the second round. Kampmann had hurt Ellenberger with a right hand and dropped him with a knee from the clinch. However, in the first round, it was Kampmann who found himself on his back after eating a left hook.

“I would have been pissed if [Mazzagatti] had tried to stop the fight on my first knockdown,” Kampmann said. “That was just a flash knockdown. I was still going. I was still moving as soon as I landed on my ass. I wasn’t out. I think he did a good job letting it go there.”

If it were up to Kampmann, Mazzagatti would have given Ellenberger a little bit longer to recover too. That doesn’t mean he necessarily disagrees with the stoppage, though. He just doesn’t want it to take away from what proved to be a dramatic comeback win.

“It sucks for me to hear people complain about it because I feel I was in the best position possible,” Kampmann said. “I would have happily let the fight go on for a little bit longer because [Ellenberger] was just turned up on his side and he wasn’t really doing any defense at all. I don’t like when people try to take away from my victory.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:30:36).

Comments

Floyd Mayweather says he didn't knock out Conor McGregor to protect him from brain damage

Floyd Mayweather apparently didn’t want to inflict more damage than was necessary to defeat Conor McGregor.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 medical suspensions: No tapping gets Yushin Okami 45 days

UFC veteran Yushin Okami didn’t appear to have much choice in the matter, but his lack of tap against Ovince Saint Preux brings a 45-day suspension.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Cornerman leaps cage, attacks fighter when referee refuses to save unconscious choke victim

In one of the worst non-stoppages you’ll ever see, a cornerman leapt the cage when a ref failed to stop a choke that left a man unconscious.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Kamaru Usman wants December bout with Neil Magny, who quickly responds

When you know the fight you want, why not just put it out there? That seems to be Kamaru Usman’s plan.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Bubba McDaniel replaces 'King Mo' against Liam McGeary at Bellator 185

It didn’t take long for Bellator to find a replacement opponent to step in against former champion Liam McGeary at Bellator 185.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Ray Borg coach credits John Dodson as key player in prep for UFC champ Demetrious Johnson

Ray Borg didn’t have to look far for advice on what it’s like to face UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC's 'Vegas Strong' T-shirts apparently are selling out quickly

If you want one of the UFC’ “Vegas Strong” T-shirts, you’re not alone.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov to new interim UFC champ Tony Ferguson: 'You deserve this belt'

Khabib Nurmagomedov’s history with Tony Ferguson didn’t stop him from congratulating the new UFC interim lightweight champ.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Gokhan Saki quickly booked again, meets Khalil Rountree at UFC 219

UFC matchmakers wasted no time booking Gokhan Saki for his second bout.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After wild UFC 216 result, Bobby Green says judges aren't looking at right things

UFC lightweight veteran Bobby Green would rather hand off judging duties to his peers, biased as they might be, than those professionally tasked to score fights.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>